Challenge Participant Safe Behind the Wool

Currently reading:
Challenge Participant Safe Behind the Wool

Trask

Count
Inner Sanctum Nobility
♔ Champion ♔
Local time
Today 11:06 PM
Messages
306
Age
42
Pronouns
He/Him
The antiseptic sting of hydrogen peroxide was nothing compared to the warmth of the tears still tracking through the dusting of stage blood and carny grime on Maya’s cheeks.

She sat huddled on the rigid bench of the county ambulance, her small frame swallowed by a heavy wool paramedic blanket. Her big, dark eyes were wide and fixed on the corrugated aluminum floor, pupils dilated with a helpless terror. Every time the young medic tried to press the curved suture needle through the superficial gash on her forearm, she let out a soft, breathy shudder that made the local sheriff step closer, his face twisted in profound, fatherly distress.

"Easy, Doc," Sheriff Miller muttered, resting a heavy, calloused hand on the edge of the metal counter. He cast a worried glance down at her. "Take your time with her. She’s been through hell tonight."

Maya offered a weak, trembling sniffle, pulling the blanket tighter around her shoulders. She looked like the very definition of a broken porcelain doll. Small, fragile, and utterly defenseless against the nightmares of the world.

"I... I just don't understand how it happened so fast, Sheriff," Maya whispered, her voice cracking with a delicate, fragile pitch that instantly melted any remaining skepticism the old lawman might have carried. "We were just laughing. We went into the Blackwood Carnival maze because it was supposed to be fun. Just silly little rubber masks and cheap fog machines."

Sheriff Miller pulled a small leather notebook from his breast pocket, his thumb hovering over a worn pencil stub, though he hadn't written a single word down in five minutes. He hated nights like this. The annual harvest fair was supposed to bring joy to the valley, not a slaughterhouse inside a plywood labyrinth.

"I know, honey," Miller said gently, his voice dropping into the soothing cadence he usually reserved for lost children. "You just focus on breathing. Whenever you're ready, tell me what happened in there. The boys... your friends... we found them scattered through the final tunnels. But you're the only one who made it out."

Maya lowered her gaze, a fresh tear slip over her lower lashes. She let her mind drift back into the suffocating darkness of the maze, shivering violently as if reliving every agonizing second of the hunt.

They had been so careless at first, walking arm in arm past the strobe lights and hanging skeletons. But then the labyrinth shifted. The walls had closed in, and the safe, cheerful noise of the carnival outside had vanished behind thick layers of soundproofing.

"Chloe was the first to vanish" She whispered "One second she was giggling over a fake prop guillotine, and the next, a heavy hand had pulled her into the shadows behind a partition. " Layla and I screamed in absolute terror, spinning around just in time to catch a fleeting glimpse of a masked figure disappearing into the black plastic curtains." Her face blushing remembering the moment. " We thought it was a joke and she would just walk back out laughing."

"Panic... panic shattered us completely after that," Maya stammered, her voice breaking on a sob as she gripped the edges of the blanket tighter around her small frame. "We should have stayed together, Sheriff, but we were so terrified we just scattered down the dark corridors. Marcus... Marcus bolted straight toward the mirror maze, screaming for help, and I ran right after him. But he got cornered where all the glass just multiplied every sound of the struggle. When I finally found him, he was... he was already gone. I tried to pull him up, Sheriff. I...I couldn't even breathe, begging him to hold on while that monster was still stalking us through the labyrinth."

"It was hunting us," Maya murmured aloud, her voice trembling just enough to pull Sheriff Miller back from his own grim thoughts. She clutched her knees to her chest, her small frame shaking with raw trauma. "Every time we thought we found a way out, the walls would lead us deeper. I hid behind a stack of old wooden crates when the footsteps got too close. I watched... I watched them get taken one by one. I was so quiet. I couldn't breathe. And when the screaming finally stopped, I crawled out the emergency flap."

Sheriff Miller swallowed hard, his chest tightening with a mix of sorrow and fierce, protective anger. He reached out, giving her trembling, bandaged shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"You're safe now, Maya," the old lawman promised, his voice thick with emotion. "You're safe. We are going to lock down this entire fairground, and I am going to personally hunt down whatever sick monster did this to your friends."

Maya lowered her head, letting out a long, shuddering sigh of pure, innocent relief.

"Thank you, Sheriff," she breathed.

Then, her thumb slipped inside the pocket of her oversized canvas jacket, brushing against the smooth, wet handle of the hunting knife hidden deep within the lining. She adjusted her grip in the dark fabric, smiling softly against the wool of the blanket as she waited for the old man to turn his back.
 
Back
Top Bottom