Considering Writing Again
Staff member
Dungeon Master
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 10:10 AM
Pronouns
He/Him
You are members of the King's Dark Lanterns, a secret intelligence agency that answers directly to King Boranel il'Wynarn of Breland. You are his eyes, ears, and knife in the dark. The king is beset by foes on every side—from other nations, from the Dragonmarked Houses, and even from within his own parliament, and he's counting on you to protect him. This message will self-destruct.

Basically, magical Mission Impossible.

House Rules:

All characters start a new mission with Inspiration. In addition to the normal 5E uses for Inspiration, a player can spend their Inspiration to call for a Flashback. A flashback is a short (One Post) scene where a character can establish a fact that affects the current scene. A flashback could require skill rolls, depending on what's going on. For example, upon learning the evil noble's statuary garden is the result of his pet cockatrices, a player could call a flashback where they describe cooking up a big batch of cockatrice chow dosed with a sleep poison. I'd probably call for a Nature check for how effective they were at making the chow appealing, but yeah. Your characters are fantasy super spies. You prepare for these sorts of things, and the flashback rule allows us to just be in the action rather than spending weeks on boring planning sessions.

I use Milestones for XP. Each mission will be it's own adventure, and at the conclusion of a mission, you'll level up.

Whatever mundane gear you need to do your jobs, the organization will provide. Don't sweat the small stuff. Ammo, rations, pocket change. Your characters are competent professionals. If you need mundane adventuring gear during a mission, I'm fine with assuming you packed accordingly, even if it's not written on your sheet. If you need or want something weird/expensive/obscure, and if wasn't on your character sheet, see the Flashback rule above.

Eberron is a High Magic setting. The Flashback rule can be used to procure a one-shot consumable magic item. In certain situations, it could be used to get a set of items. You folks need to escape by swimming through flooded caves? Flashback for a brace of water breathing potions is fine.

You can't flashback to get permanent/attuned magic items.

5b596b45bade06b15628afe43642e9f3--the-assassin-assassins-creed.jpg

Kaine Thorne - Dark Lantern Handler - Middle Aged Human - LN

A former field agent who walks with a cane and a profound limp, Kaine is a no-nonsense fellow. Gruff, curt, and to the point, he expects his agents to do the impossible, because that's what they signed up for. Calculating and cold, he's a hard man to know, although doesn't spend the lives and wellbeing of his agents without very good reason.

Perhaps not a great comfort to those who's lives were spent, but he's at least not out to get you and does mourn the fallen.

WarforgedArtificer.jpg
Magnus Bolt - Dark Lantern Craftsman/Defender- Warforge Artificer - LG
Spell Repertoire: Utility spells, Protection (of self and others), & some damage spells (seldom used)

Magnus is a honest and pleasant person who never loses his optimistic attitude nor his determination to do what he has set his mind to. His creativity and wit are quite literally tools as he wields them to find solutions to problems he and those he work with face. He spends most of his spare time crafting things needed by the organization/group, as he is able to make just about anything a person would use or wear. When he is sent out on missions he stays in the front of the group and acts as a shield for others.

Last edited:
tumblr_ojv6vhEmTL1u7fu7uo2_1280.jpg

Alfonse - Dark Lantern Butler (Rogue/Bard) - Warforged - N

Spells: Mainly utility and spells related to doing his job.

Alfonse is a straightforward sort of being. He is exceptionally dedicated to his responsibilities and will allow no one to prevent him from doing his job. He also a bit of a neat freak, always moving about to make sure things are in the proper places. His proper attitude truly belies his actual danger. Living for over a hundred years as the personal butler to generations of Kings has made him exceptionally well suited to handling missions related to getting in and out quietly, as well as handling things in the dark. He was assigned to the Dark Lanterns for this particular skill set.

1619226133589.jpeg
Aranela Stormwood- Bladsinging Wizard- Half Elf- LG

Spells
: I'm a wizard so there are so many spells I know. Currently equipped are some divination, illusion, and a few attacks.

Background: Aranela had an elf father and a human mother. Her mother for reason's unknown left Aranela at a faction agency where she was taught to become a bladsinging wizard. This place was very militant and stern with her upbringing which has molded Aranela's characteristics traits to be integrity, practical logic, and tireless dedication to duty.

Rue - Changeling Bard, College of Lore - CG
Formerly a freelance spy for House Medani before pledging her loyalty and service to the Dark Lanterns. She retains some of her contacts in the House and on the streets (spy background) and uses these when necessary for information and introductions. Rue is whimsical but not flighty, a touch reckless and a thrill-seeker. She typically presents herself as a half-elf with dark blonde hair, a slim figure, and brown eyes. In her true form, she is pale grey with snow-white hair and has elongated, double-jointed limbs.

Ulgren Agrilk
1619743621293.png

Male Half-orc Warlock
Mark of Finding
The Great Old One

Spells: Mainly Eldrich incantations to read minds and interrogate

Background: I was a bodyguard for a human noble for many years and was responsible for interrogating prisoners to root out spies. My employer was at war with orcs while also fighting a civil war within his own kingdom. I fought in the battlefield for him. My whole company was slaughtered. Escaping to the shadows with my newly discovered magic I avoided the warring orc tribe. My father was an elf, my mother an orc. They are dead. The noble I served died. Nothing left remains. Everyone slaughtered on the battlefield and escaping from the shadows, I come to the company of the King's Dark Lanterns who could use my skills to help the king.

I barely passed chem this semester, needless to say I'm not a fan.

I think they'd agree. They were supposed to be DMing a D&D campaign for a group of us on discord but had to put it off twice to prepare for that specific test :p Finally going to do our first session tonight (Wednesday night).

Haha yeah, thankfully from now on I only have metallurgy to deal with.
Oof, well at least you got started! Though I will say you must be quite a few hours ahead of me for it to be night there. (Currently 4 AM)

That sounds interesting. Whenever I hear people talking about college, it is always nursing, psychology, math, chemistry. I don't think I've heard metallurgy before.

Oh, no, we have the same timezone. It is four here as well. I'm just up because I got off work like an hour ago.

Yeah I'm basically a welding engineering major. So I study a lot about metals and specialized chemistry that won't suck ass... hopefully. I like hands on stuff so it was a good fit for me.

Oh ok. Well GL with your session tonight then!
I should go to sleep...

I honestly misread that and thought you wrote "Wedding Engineering Major" and thought that sounded amazing.

I hope it goes well. :p

You should, I should as well actually.

You are the second person to read wedding engineer in the past 24 hours >.> maybe I should just go find if I can be one.

Thanks and GN!

Back
Top Bottom