Currently reading:
Challenge Submission The Mermaid and the Manifestation

Rimechapel

Duke
Local time
Today 4:46 AM
Pronouns
he/his
"Ooh, what kind of fish are you!?" the redhead mermaid exclaimed, psychotic delight sparkling in her eyes.

I AM THE MANIFESTATION OF THE DEEP ONE AND I AM COME TO CONSUME, the shockingly large, toothy-mawed fish-like creature replied, projecting its voice into the mermaids mind.

"I love consuming things!" the mermaid cried gleefully. "I sing to them, and they let me devour them, even while they are still alive!"

NO ONE HAS EVER LET ME DEVOUR THEM, the frankly horrifying fish replied in a sad way, as only pelagic horrors can.

"We should be friends," the mermaid said deviously. "I will sing to the fish, and then they will let you consume them. I bet you look lovely chomping them with that cruel mouth of yours.

MY MOUTH IS VERY CRUEL, the dreadful fish agreed, seeming much happier now that it had a friend - for even terrors from the blackest part of the sea need friends.

The mermaid sang an underwater aria to a school of tuna, and they were not frightened when the horrific fish swept in and caught them in its mouth, one dreadful, slow, inexorable chomp after another. The mermaid, for her part, caught one of the stragglers and ate her fill. The pair talked happily about their success; the mermaid was delighted by the terrible way the great fish moved its many-fanged maw, and the fish was pleased to have eaten so much in such a small time.

The mermaid sang an oceanic overture to a large squid, who circled curiously about her, and did not jet even the smallest bit of ink when the horrid, giant fish - which had grown larger since it feasted on the school of tuna - bit it cleanly in half. The mermaid was delighted by the sight of the maimed remains of the squid, and the great fish grew greater still for its feasting.

The mermaid sang a bubbling ballad to a whaleshark, and it stared vacantly at her while the concerningly large, monstrous fish - who by this point was quite a bit larger than the whaleshark - ate it in three concerningly large bites. The mermaid squealed in sadistic surprise and clapped her hands.

"We cannot be stopped, Mani!" she cried, having assigned the Manifestation of the Deep One a diminutive it largely chose to tolerate. "None can resist me, and none can withstand you! We are the most monstrous things in the sea!"

I MUST FORM A CULT AND MAKE THEM BRING YOU THINGS TO WHICH YOU MAY SING, considered Mani, the Manifestation of the Deep One. THEN I WILL EAT THEM AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY AND I WILL BE FAT.

"Why are the waves darkening?" the mermaid pouted, looking up at a black cloud.

NO, Mani, the Manifestation of the Deep One murmured fearfully, IT CANNOT BE.

"What?" the mermaid said, blinking in concern. "Mani? What is it?"

I THOUGHT THEY HAD DIED OFF, Mani projected, slowly swimming backwards, gazing upwards in that vacant, fishy way that only pelagic horrors can.

"Mani!?" the mermaid cried, her voice beginning to crack in fear.

THEY CHOKED OUR TRENCH WITH THEIR WASTE, Mani reminisced dolefully.

"Mani!? What is happening!?" The mermaid began to swim towards the horrific fish, glancing over her shoulder at the darkening substance over the water.

THEY SET THE OCEANS ON FIRE WITH THEIR INDUSTRIES, the Manifestation of the Deep One mourned hopelessly.

"Mani!!" the mermaid shrieked. "Why is that black cloud sinking into the water!? What are those shapes on top of the water around it!?"

THOSE ARE THE VESSELS OF THE MOST MONSTROUS OF ALL THINGS, the terrified, terrifying fish replied. MANKIND HAS ARRIVED.

On April 20, 2010, something truly dreadful happened in the ocean. Known as the "Deepwater Horizon oil spill," a tragic confluence of failures in leadership, communication, training, supervision, and many other things culminated in an explosion which killed eleven people and released nearly five million barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, before the well was capped nearly three months later.

The real tragedy is how preventable this entire accident was.

Please support responsible environmental, societal, and governance values. The Manifestation of the Deep One will not be able to form a respectable cult without your help.

Deepwater Horizon oil spill - Wikipedia

"Macondo: The Gulf Oil Disaster: Chief Counsel's Report," National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling, 2011, https://repository.library.noaa.gov/view/noaa/71

Last edited:
Damn bruh, not only did I agree with the message but what an awesome spin on the idea! Two monsters becoming friends!! IF ONLY WE WOULDN'T KILL EM ALL 😂😭😭

Back
Top Bottom