Staff member
Administrator
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 4:16 AM
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello Sanctum Dwellers!!

For Five years now, you have all wandered the halls of the Inner Sanctum. Now, as was promised we are opening the doors to what is outside these walls—a world which we are hoping all of you will help create.

Everything is open for input, we are even taking suggestions for the world name!! Our goal is simple—a fully realized world both for all of you to tell your own stories in and for use by Dungeon Masters in official site campaigns. It is not mandatory, nor does it affect the rest of the forums—this world will be entirely self-contained.

There are a few restrictions, which I will list below—but please view these as guidelines more than actual rules:

1. In keeping with longstanding Sanctum themes and the RPG worlds that inspired this idea, the world will be what we call "Medieval-ish fantasy". It is not limited to inspiration from any specific country or era, but we ask that you focus that general conception as a starting point

2. Do you want a low Fantasy world where magic is rare and humans reign? A high fantasy where wizards abound, dwarves and goblins battle below and dragons own the skies? Or an old world where the ancient powers and monsters are present but nigh on extinct? Answer our poll above, as this is vital to build the rest of the world around

3. We will be placing limits on extremely OP characters and Gods. Our current picture is a polytheistic pantheon, but while these gods are present in the universe, they are going to be largely detached unless the staff or our official Dungeon Masters choose to use them

4. Please take inspiration from existing worlds but do not copy. General fantasy tropes are fine, but we want our own world, not a copy of someone else's

5. In keeping with our site, it should be assumed that this world is 18+, but please try to avoid suggestions that make any more mild stories impossible. Site rules must obviously be followed

6. In order to let people tell stories with fewer restrictions, this "world" will likely represent only a continent or large region, with terra-incognito beyond where anything might be happening

7. I have opened various suggestion threads, which will be linked below. If you think there is a topic large enough to merit its own threads, please suggest it here

The threads where you can give suggestions:

The World — For suggestions related to geography, topography and so on.

The Nations — For suggestions related to the political units of the world. Note that while medieval implies kingdoms, all suggestions are open. Want a Roman-style Republic or an Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune? Go for it!!

The Divine — For suggestions regarding the nature and character of the pantheon and the mystical. Are they good? Evil? Ambivalent? Do they have children with mortals? Do they use magic? Or does it come from them?

The People — For suggestions regarding the populations of the world, their technology, culture and values

The Miscellaneous — For general ideas that don't fit any particular category

If this fits at all I would suggest "Alternate Earth's" or similar. Basically what I am getting at is RP's set on Earth but in some kind of alternate universe. Dystopian style universes would fit with that or a world where Vampires exist alongside humans, a world where Fairy Tale creatures exist with humans etc

Anything really where it is still Earth and revolves around humans but has some kind of twist whether it be plausible or more far fetched.

This is a cool idea. I'd love to contribute once the poll is done

Is the point or goal here to create just one world and focus on that? Personally I have very little interest in High Fantasy although I've seen some good ideas in the thread. Would it not be possible once the High Fantasy world is established to create another world, something in the Low Fantasy/Heroic Fantasy/Dark Fantasy, or maybe even a Post-Apocalyptic world or something like that? I'm just thinking out loud here.

Last edited:
Something like that is definitely not impossible. Right now, we are trying to limit the scope of our ambitions—we would rather do one thing really well than a few that are haphazard. If it works and people enjoy it, we can do similar projects.

That said, we aren't going to take the vote here as gospel regardless. High fantasy looks likely to win, but there's clearly enough demand for low fantasy that we can work some aspects of it into the world design.

I'm not sure low fantasy and high fantasy would work very well together, certainly not from my experience. However, I'll keep my eyes open for future projects.

@JamesMartin

What if.... now hold on a second here, hear me out...
What if it was whatever you wanted it to be?
I'm talking sci-fi, fantasy, urban fantasy, mystery, what if we squished everything into a single, chaotic world with places for everyone? What if we alone got to decide not just what our corner of the world was to others, but what the whole world was to us?
That, I think, would not be just the ultimate view of what this site is supposed to be, or what roleplaying is, but what creating is.
What I am basically suggesting is one, humongous, interconnected universe that each rper can add to in their own way. Maybe each user gets a god in the pantheon. Maybe alliances are made, maybe wars fought, not by groups in an imaginative story, but actual, real people each contributing to their story. This way would be extremely collaborative and, I feel, a real expression of what roleplaying can be.
A true universe of our own.
An Outer Sanctum.
We could still have events, of course, and they could be a vaguer idea, such as 'someone bad is collapsing the universe', or 'This person wants to take over the world'. The players then, realizing there is a very real and immediate threat, could try to band together or be on their own and perish, opposed to the dreamlike sense that everything is going to be okay (as it usually is in the structured stories) and not really trying. This time there is something immediate that is threatening our world, our characters, and only we have the power to stop it. If everyone could collaborate and contribute in a truly equal fashion, then the story might become player-driven, even. What if an unofficial event happens where someone tries to take over the world? What would happen?
I'm just thinking out loud at this point, of course, but I think this is a valid and reasonable thing to think about. So what if we give up a bit of control for this?
And I'd like to scratch the idea of high fantasy where everyone is special. If we, say, are saving the world, and there is imminent danger, why isn't the wizard elf guy next to me saving the world? Simple. Because he/she doesn't find it fun. We are authors, and we write these stories because we find it fun to contribute in a world like this. We find it fun to save the world, or destroy it. We find it fun. That's what should make us special, not some hairbrained plot point of a prophecy told long ago. We don't NEED a story to tell us that's what we want to do, and we certaintly shouldn't have to wait for a story to tell us WHY.
Again, I'm just spitballing ideas here.

Last edited:
Is the point or goal here to create just one world and focus on that? Personally I have very little interest in High Fantasy although I've seen some good ideas in the thread. Would it not be possible once the High Fantasy world is established to create another world, something in the Low Fantasy/Heroic Fantasy/Dark Fantasy, or maybe even a Post-Apocalyptic world or something like that? I'm just thinking out loud here.

I have a similar question would this new idea cancel out what already exists on this site? Overall, I am more interested in playing specific 1-1's with people that vary in themes rather than being restricted to just one type world or genre. Or playing group rp's.

I have a similar question would this new idea cancel out what already exists on this site? Overall, I am more interested in playing specific 1-1's with people that vary in themes rather than being restricted to just one type world or genre. Or playing group rp's.

It is not mandatory, nor does it affect the rest of the forums—this world will be entirely self-contained.

This doesn't impact the site as a whole. This project started a few years back specifically as a setting for site-run D&D games and that remains the primary goal—we have simply decided to also allow it to be used for group stories and 1x1s as people like. It doesn't affect the rest of the site in any way, merely offers a way for people who enjoy worldbuilding to do so collaboratively and help influence something we hope site DMs will make a lot of use of.

This doesn't impact the site as a whole. This project started a few years back specifically as a setting for site-run D&D games and that remains the primary goal—we have simply decided to also allow it to be used for group stories and 1x1s as people like. It doesn't affect the rest of the site in any way, merely offers a way for people who enjoy worldbuilding to do so collaboratively and help influence something we hope site DMs will make a lot of use of.
Will there be game mechanics present, like in DnD? Asking because I was never a huge fan of those

This reminds of a large dedicated world forum I was a part of a minute ago. I personally would like to see more Dark Fantasy elements ie Diablo, Dark Souls et al but I can totally understand why that becomes more difficult to navigate in a persistent world. Not really fun when every character is "Today in the desaturated landscape, everyone suffers, starves, is miserable, demons ate the neighbors dog, it's the 5th dog this month, woe unto us all."

I'd love to exercise that muscle of grand worldbuilding again :)

I was referred to this thread a while back when I mentioned DnD/Pathfinder, but I don't see any system mentioned so I am kinda confused if this is just an idea for a forum world for everyone to use or if it's something else.

It's an idea for a forum world. We do plan for it to eventually involve game mechanics and for our site DMs to run games in it—we haven't officially opened discussion on game mechanics yet, as we want to have a grasp on the world first.

It's an idea for a forum world. We do plan for it to eventually involve game mechanics and for our site DMs to run games in it—we haven't officially opened discussion on game mechanics yet, as we want to have a grasp on the world first.
Thank you for the clarification!

The Tri-Stat system would simplify the process. Body, mind, soul. A few common D6, and it's party time. Maybe a derivative of such? For a project if this magnitude, I believe simplicity would be key. I'll think more on it, for this seems interesting. C:

Just so I'm on the same wave length. This DnD idea would not change the whole site. Correct? I ask because I know nothing about DnD because I've never played it or acted it out.

It would not change the whole site—it would be a separate forum specifically for content based around the world, with no changes to the rest of the site

Back
Top Bottom