The Outer Sanctum: Phase Two

Currently reading:
The Outer Sanctum: Phase Two

What species and races live in the world?

• I only want Humans!!

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Humans and others!

Votes: 28 100.0%
  • Elves

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Dwarves

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Goblins and Orcs

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Halflings

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Unique races (that I will suggest below)

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Dragons, drakes and others!!

Votes: 23 82.1%

• Total voters

JamesMartin

Sa souvraya niende misain ye
Staff member
Administrator
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 9:44 PM
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello again Sanctum Dwellers!!

Having a few hours free, I am going to kickstart the next stage of our "Outer Sanctum Project". For the full story on what that means, see here. The short version is that, as a sitewide collaborative project, we are building a setting for use both for site-sponsored tabletop games and for use by our users to tell their own stories.

What does the "next stage" mean? In essence, I am going to outline the core world based on ideas we have had suggested—from there, we will be able to decide the nations, peoples and potentially, design a working map. Stage two will be turning this basic lore into a living, breathing world. Contributing is optional, but all ideas are welcome. There will also be an attached poll to help us decide on one of the main open questions of the world.

Please note that all names and titles in this are subject to change because quite frankly, I'm bad at them 😁

The World in the 75th year after the Rift

Decades ago, the greatest empire the world had ever seen was laid waste in the span of a single day. It was supposed to be a day of triumph—the day on which a grand conclave of wizards, sorcerers, witches and priests would break down the barrier between the mortal world and the divine.

No one knew if they had failed or succeeded—the result was the same. A rift had opened, starting from the conclave, consuming the holy city, the vast estates around it and much of the imperial core. Cursed to enter, it now spewed forth abominations and monsters that had not walked the world in millennia, even as the empire itself collapsed, its leadership decapitated at a stroke. That which survived the first blow did not last long, between the wars for supremacy and the desperate efforts to contain the horrors that poured from the rift. Though the tide eventually slowed and the world has begun to stabilize, few of these new nations hold even as much as they claim on the map and fewer still cling to any hope of reuniting the old borders. Horrors still wander the world and few who enter the rift ever return—yet still men try, for every stone and tool and structure is saturated with the primal essence of magic that few still alive can tap into in any meaningful amount.

The Divines themselves, once intimately involved in the dealings of the mortal world, have gone all but silent. Some few claim to hear their whispers, yet most regard these as madmen or worse.

So what comes next? Well, we need more feedback in these forums!! If you have ideas, want to design a nation or a race or a culture, jump in! And of course, questions and comments can be posted below.

This is what I miss out on while in exile. Damn. Let me know how I can throw my two sense in!

Edit: All of the Above. All of the Above! All of the Above! All of the Above! All of the Above! ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!

Last edited:
I'm happy to help with this, who would I talk to?

Back
Top Bottom