Both Needed The Walking Dead

Currently reading:
Both Needed The Walking Dead

Caroline looked over the two. Women, looking to be a little worse for wear. Slowly, she lowered her gun and peered down at the books.

"You may want to try the shelf in the very back. They're chained to the rack, but that's easily taken care of." She offered a weak smile. She didn't fully trust these two, but the one on the floor had a point. These two, in their current state, didn't look like such a threat.

"Thank you." With a little struggle, she managed to get up, obviously limping. She needed to change the dressing on both her wounds. They were bloodstained and sticky. Infection would follow soon after. She went to the shelf the woman she had suggested, waiting for her to come back to fix the chain problem. She winced, gritting her teeth. She'd have to change the wounds' bandages herself.

Keys in hand, Caroline returned and freed the "expensive" books from their homes. She picked up one about special herbs and threw it towards the woman who wasn't too badly injured. She looked at the other woman, bloody and beat up.

"What happened to you all?"

"Well as I was looting the gas station down the road from here, 4 guys came up. They probably heard my gunshot so I could get to the back. Then, we got into a gunfight, she saved my ass, and here we are. And now I'm crippled for a couple of days. My life is going great." She stated sarcastically before hobbling back over, sliding down. She stretched her leg out, groaning.

"I have some pain killers in my stash. I'll go get you some." Caroline was lucky to have a small selection of finer items in her possession. She had been smart about things when all hell broke loose. She returned to her quarters and reached for three Advil tablets. She also picked up two water bottles.

She made her way back to the conference rooms but stopped at the front door. She set her supplies on the check out counter as she pulled the keys from her pocket and relocated the doors. Always better to be prepared. She pocketed the keys one more, picked up the pills and water, and walked into the conference room. She handed the woman on the floor the pills and a bottle of water. She handed the other bottle to the other woman across the room.

"My name is Caroline."

Faith nodded, smiling lightly. "I'm Faith. How's your day going?" She asked, trying to lighten the mood. She downed the pills, taking a swig of water to swallow them. So far, her leg was healing fine. She just had to worry about infection fucking her over. (Sorry it's short. PT training)

Caroline sat down on the floor, a few feet of space between herself and the injured woman. Faith. At least she had a name to go with now.

"My time here has been fairly quiet, actually. Not too terrible." She looked out towards the heavy glass doors. "I know it won't last forever. That would be too good to be true." She looked down at her hands. Scanned and bruised from fighting. She sighed.

She snickered, sighing a well. "Yeah. These times anymore, you can't stay in one place. Either walkers or raiders will fuck everything up..." She muttered, leaning her head back and staring at the ceiling. She closed her eyes, steadying her breathing.

(( Sorry for late replies, Holidays had me pretty tied up. x.x))

Erin had relaxed slightly, accepting the bottle of water and aspirin, pocketing the pills and taking small sips of the water. Picking herself up off the floor and the book on herbs, she was impressed with the condition of the book itself. She let her gaze move to the woman she had stitched together not too long ago and eyed the wounds, making sure that there was no active bleeding.

"If you don't Mind, I'm going to look through the medical sections. I'm looking for anything concerned with neurology. You see.. I think I can cure the dead if I isolate what causes the disease itself. Though I'm not sure if I can reverse the affects.. "

Erin had stopped speaking when she found a book on complex brain stem operations, her eyes softening as she opened the cover and began reading, her back leaning against a shelf of books lightly. Her lips silently mouthed the words as she read, now and again she would stop, writing a few things down in her little red journal.

It's alright. Don't worry. I've been busy with watching traffic so. I'm gonna be watching over out turnpike due to Black Friday. Also, want to move this to the Feather Bed? ||

Faith watched Erin for a little while before managing to pull herself up, gritting her teeth as the muscles near her wound pulled the stitches. She walked over to the fantasy and mythology section, grabbing a book written by Rick Riordan. She hobbled/limped over to where a table sat, pulling out a chair and slowly sitting down. She loved reading as a child, and with no more power, books were the only entertainment they had anymore. She tied her hair back, sighing lightly. Her usual icy blue eyes were soft and somewhat warm.

Goosebumps ran up her back, and she felt as if something was wrong. She looked around, wondering.

The little voice in the back of Erin's mind told her to go check on her most recent patient. After all it's not like she was laying down, immobile in a hospital bed. The woman was walking around and seemingly okay. Erin knew something would end up going wrong. She closed the book she was reading and went to go sit beside Faith.

"Hey, how are you holding up?"

Her eyes roamed down Faith's body to the work site at her side and then lower to the one on her leg. A shiny discoloration on the already stained clothing told her that at least one of the stitches had not held. A worried expression touched her eyes and she glanced at Caroline.

"You wouldn't happen to have any alcohol, the medical kind or the drinking? I used my last bit trying to clean her wounds before.."

Erin smiled, trying to be as friendly as possible with the person who at one point held a gun pointed directly at her.

She shrugged, replying, "OK. It just hurts to move a lot, and to try and pick myself up..." Her skin was still pale, but her eyes had regained her icy blue color. She noticed a wet feeling on her leg, looking down. She swallowed, then answered Erin's question. "I have half a bottle in my bag. It's over by where we were sitting before." She smiled a little. "Thank you, I owe you-" She was cut off, a loud boom echoing through the library and across the landscape. The building shook, windows shattering, books falling. "What in the hell!"

The sound of the explosion was enough to rattle walls, send books flying from their shelves and cause the windows to shatter sending shard of sharp glass onto the floors below. The sound of the shattering windows would send some of the dead towards the library for sure, though the bulk of any of the dead would be headed for the source of the explosion. The open windows brought the smell of noxious gas, explaining the source of the explosion to be either a gas main pipe beneath the city.

"We need to leave. Now!"

She screamed, getting her bag together and loading as many books as she knew she could carry. Her next task would be to attempt to help her new found comrades to safety. There wouldn't be time to fix the open stitches just yet, they needed to get back to that house she had found before, on the edge of the city limits. They would probably have to stay there until the dead vacated the city, or at least until the fires died down and stopped attracting more to their general location.

Erin could feel the fear pushing the adrenaline through her system, giving her a boost of strength that she wouldn't normally have. The two other living people with her would have to make a choice, join her at the house, or choose their own way. Without realizing she had been missing out on living comradeship, she was wishing that they both chose to trust her in this moment.

"I noticed!" Faith yelled back, wincing as more of her stitches were pulled. She practically threw her stuff into her bag, gritting her teeth as she pulled herself up. She followed Erin, grunting with each step/limp. Once outside of the library, they would see a mushroom cloud rise from the city, flames ripping through the buildings. Then the shockwave hit. Hitting them like a semi-truck, Faith fell, the rest of her stitches and gauze ripping open. Blood stained her clothes, yet she pushed through. She forced herself up, tears springing up from her eyes due to the pain.

Caroline was pulled in many directions at once. She ran to her things and hurriedly packed them up, throwing her copy of The Road in as well. She threw what little food and medicine she had left into her bag as well.

She swung the bag over her shoulder as another shockwave hit. She heard part of the library building crumbling to the ground. She hurried out of the office and towards the front. She found the two women knocked to the ground. She helped Erin up first so that they could pick up Faith together.

"Are you guys okay?" She yelled, before adding, "What the hell is happening?"

Faith pointed towards the mushroom cloud rising from the city. "I'm gonna guess a gas main exploded. The only other explanation is a gas station." She loaded her rifle, picking off a few walkers while the wind still whistled in their ears.

A horde was making its way towards them, and at a fast pace. "We need to move. Now." She muttered, sighing slightly.

Back
Top Bottom