Both Needed Witch University! 5 people needed

Currently reading:
Both Needed Witch University! 5 people needed

LadyAnnette

(From State Farm)
Local time
Today 10:41 PM
Samhain University
Established during the Salem witch trials, Samhain started as a small refuge for witches near what is now known as Seattle Washington in north America. It was founded by a very powerful witch who was called Baba Yaga, to continue on the tradition of magic, which was under attack. She wanted to create a place where she and other witches of all kinds could develop their powers without fear of trouble from the outside world. Together with several of her witch brothers and sisters, they sealed a small pocket of time away, only able to be found by those who poses magic. There time is in a continuous loop of the same year. The building remains as nice and pristine as the day it was made. All the creatures who were in it stay the same age (no people thankfully) while the humans who come in age naturally. It was a splendid place. It was safe and secure and witches flocked to it.
As time grew on and things changed, Samhain remained the same. Founders went to the next world and new ones came to take their places. New magic and creatures and powers were discovered and the school flourished. It was a place if acceptance. A place of new growth and new ideas. It had people from all walks of life and all over the world flocking to it. For the most part, the school was a glorious place, but every place has bad apples.
In the early 1900s, there was a witch who was a brilliant user of magic. Skilled in transformation and earth magic, alchemy and potions; no one could compare. And no one cared to even try, seeing as she was a descendent of Baba Yaga. Opal Yaga was her name, and everyone who used magic knew it. She was the first witch who went bad.
At the turn of the century, Opal was 16. And as she grew older, she began using her powers in the new state California, where people were settling. She helped mostly single mothers and anyone down on their luck, but her kindness was betrayed. A young man stole her heart, and when she revealed her powers to him, he betrayed her and tried to have her burned. But she was too powerful for them. She escaped.
Burnt and betrayed, she went back to the school that she knew to be a safe haven. Then healed her, but she was never the same. She stayed in that school, studying, for over twenty years. And in that time, she realized that normal people would never accept them. They were too scared.
She released a great famine on the land that tore the country apart. It was irreversible.
The witches that imprisoned her were powerful indeed, but the damage was already done. It only spread through north America, but it left the united states in a state of depression. But as people always do, they came back. They thrived. Unfortunately, no one could ever get how Opal did it out of her.
Throughout the years, other witches followed her beliefs, calling themselves The Chosen. A member of their coven even became the leader if Samhain for a few years, slowly integrating their doctrine into the curriculum. And after she was exposed, the school seemed to lose credibility. People were scared to go there to learn, and it appeared that the school would be shut down. Luckily, good shines brightest in dark times.
As the world was changing, witches couldn't hide forever. Normal people came to see them for who they were around the 1950s, witches stepping up a long side african Americans and women to be allowed the same rights. The movement was magical, no pun intended. While many still opposed the changes, people were strong willed and determined to be heard and given what they deserved. Soon minds started changing, and people began to change. It wasn't over night, but the year is 2018 and people are much more accepting. Of course there are plenty of people still trying to justify prejudice, but there are also plenty of people willing to stand against it. And Samhain University is one of the hubs in activism. It doesn't require tuition but every student must have a job on campus relating to their major, be it helping a potions master to learn about different healing elements,or helping in the library for magical history.
Over all, it is a thriving place filled with diversity and inclusion.

Majors:
Psychichollogy (using psychic powers to help understand a patient with mental illness and help them)
Healing (includes normal healing magic paired with modern day technologies. Also includes necromancy as a form of short term resuscitation.)
Art and design
Magical technology (developing new ways to integrate magic and tech together, as well as working with existing magical tech)
Architecture (developing and integrating magic into architecture)
Business (running a business with the help of or for magic)
Teaching (basic or advanced teaching of all subjects)
Culinary magic (integrating magic in cooking)
Magic ethics
Government and political science (normal stuff mostly but dealing more with the magical laws and ethics that regulate witches)
Magic law (dealing solely with law involving magical beings)
Magic history
Magic philosophy
Botanism
Hedge witch (dealing with the ones who have passed on)
Major in magical creature contact (dealing with the fae or other magical creatures)
Magic and culture studies (the study of different cultures and their types of magic)
(Feel free to add others but please ask me first)

Character sheet
(I will post mine in the forum that we'll be using as everyone else should. I forget character details sometimes and like to have a reference)

Name:
Major: (if you want to make up your own feel free)
High school attended: (magical or otherwise)
Magical awakening: (the first time they realized they could do magic)
Most powerful spell/ability: (potions, transformation, etc. and please explain)
History:
Personality:
Appearance:
Job at the college:

Rules: (I'll post these in the forum as well)
Normally I'm super lax on rules cause I just don't really care but in a world with magic I think it's important to have some so no one gets out if hand.
1) Make character's that are believable. I don't want to see characters that are just better than everyone. You can make a character who is smart and good at magic without making them over the top.
2) This world is very much like ours, except with actual magic. It still has limits and laws of nature you have to take into account. You can't just bring someone back to life or make something out of nothing. Something of squeal value must be given, insert FMA speech here.
3) Please, I am begging, try not to make a character that is "The Chosen One" or anything like that. It's totally fine to make a cool and unique character, but I am not here for any of that bull s*it.
4) If you want to alter the way the story is going, please consult the group. We all need to make important decisions together. If you think that it is a big deal, check and make sure it's ok with everyone. Also if you have any ideas or comments please feel free to share.
5) When you use magic, don't just be like,'i cast a spell and my wig flew away.' Put something on it. Maybe like,'I felt the magic flow through me in that moment. If I cast this spell properly, my wig would fly higher than the birds in the sky. The words erupted from my lips, pronounced perfectly and a bolt of pure blue magic stretched to my wig. With a jolt, it was airborne,' A little effort. Of course with smaller stuff you don't have to stress it too much.
This isn't a rule but I wanted to add in. Have fun. If you want to be a werewolf witch or a dudebro witch or not even be a witch at all then don't sweat it and have fun. I don't want to impose on anyone's creativity so play around with ideas!

The direction I want this to start off is not going to be a very epic tale. More... Magic slice of life. Imagine a bunch of unsure college students with magic. At least starting out lets not have anything too major happen like the government collapsing or a magicapocalips or something.
I don't exactly have a plot line thought out for this so I would love once we have enough people we could all discus our ideas together.
There are going to be a limit of five people and I'm just doing it as first come first serve. Just say you want in and then you can post your character sheet. If you are a little late to the mix and want to join in though please feel free to dm me.

Hi, I am certainly interested in this. Right now, I have a few questions however. What exactly does a hedge witch do? When dealing with those who have passed on, does that mean communicating with the dead? Are their interactions with the dead done through meditation or a ritual?

Contacting the dead or dealing with spirits of any nature. And there can be many ways to do it, either through meditation, ritual, Ouija boards, or even letting them come into the body during astral projection. This can be used to help loved ones get some closure, help the police if the deceased was murdered, or just to help the spirit itself pass on if they are having trouble

Name: Hal Walker
Major: Magic Philosophy
High school attended: A Normal Highschool
Magical awakening: was playing a game of blackjack. Flipping an ace of spades from face down, to face up. When the card hit the table, the wooden table cracked in half.
Most powerful spell/ability: Card Magic - Hal can utilize a form of magic dealing with cards. He can use cards to achieve a variety of effects from summoning weapons, placing traps and use other forms of magic through cards. He can predict the future through cards and even trap people inside of cards.

History: Hal Walker was born and raised in Australia. No one knew he was gifted with magic until his awakening, since his family didn't have magic. Hal was always a gambler. Playing cards when he was eight. His parents were hardly a good influence. He had his awakening when he was twelve. He stayed in the normal school. When he turned eighteen, he loved to America to study card magic to see what else he could do. Eventually going to Samhain University.

Personality: A lot can be assumed when you first see Hal Walker, but two things you'll never forget are that he's upright and independent. Of course he's also patient, innovative and adventurous, but in smaller doses and they're often spoiled by habits of being coarse as well.
His upright nature though, this is what he's often adored for. Friends frequently count on this and his focus whenever they need cheering up.
Nobody's perfect of course and Finley has plenty of less favorable characteristics too. His extreme nature and neglectful nature cause plenty of grievances and beyond what people are willing to deal with.
Fortunately his independence assures this isn't the case very often.
Appearance:
1051B949-6BF9-47A5-803E-0846EB8794F5.jpeg
Hal Walker is just over six feet tall, and of average weight. He has lean, athletic build, as he exercises regularly. Since he believes that a healthy mind and body are both essential to magic.
BE766119-8173-4E3B-AB70-E4B00707B07F.jpeg
Job at the college: Bartender at Campus Bar, occasionally runnings some side games of poker or other card games.

Also just letting everyone know that there will be a character limit of three if you want to have more than one main. Side characters are fine.
Also I am working all day and will be on here less wishy washy in about three hours

Name: Daniel Ward

Major: Architecture

High school attended: Normal high school

Magical awakening: Daniel was scribbling random things on paper. Coincidentally, one happened to be a sigil for light and caused the ink on the paper to glow.

Most powerful spell/ability: Sigil Magic. Daniel can draw symbols that create different effects. Strength of the magic depends on two factors: what was used to draw the sigil and how it was drawn. Sigils drawn with pencil tend to produce very basic magic while enchanted ink can produce more potent effects. Poorly and hastily drawn sigils may cause the magic produced to sputter while ornate and finely drawn sigils perform excellently. For example, a fire sigil drawn in pencil can produce, at most, a candle flame. If it was hastily drawn, a few sparks and smoke may be produced. A highly decorated fire sigil written with enchanted ink may produce a large column of fire. Different sigils can be interwoven to mix effects. For example, a complex fire sigil with a moderately drawn water sigil could produce a steam/mist cloud perfect for getaways.

History: Daniel was in college when he discovered his magical abilities. He spent most of his free time drawing and making up designs and symbols. Daniel decided to keep his new found magic to himself. He never did like drawing too much attention. Partially through his degree in architecture, which combined his love for drawing with a lucrative career, Daniel heard about Samhain University. Until then, he experimented with his sigils and only had a small collection of sigils discovered. Daniel jumped at the opportunity to explore his powers further, at relatively no cost too.

Personality: Daniel is an eager learner; always ready to expand his knowledge. As a result, he is a very thought-centered person. Decisions must be weighed and contemplated upon. Daniel puts everything through thorough and careful planning which reflects his cautious personality. While this usually leaves him very prepared, working with Daniel requires a degree of patience. Additionally, improvising does not come as easily to him. While he is passionate about his education, Daniel is usually a very reserved person; never raising his voice or resorting to violence. If he does get upset, Daniel tends to keep his thoughts to himself and try to escape the situation. Which leads to the next part of his personality. If things don't go to plan or get violent, Daniel does not like to stick around. Escape means getting time to re-plan. Due to the nature of his magic, Daniel has a keen eye for details which also help him in his planning.

Appearance:
Freddie-Highmore.jpg

Daniel's body is lanky. As most of his time is spent indoors, Daniel does not have much endurance or strength. This reason also feeds into his less than courageous personality.

Job at the college:
Librarian. This way, Daniel has easy access for books on his type of magic as well other architecture genres.

Last edited:
Name: Morpheus, Icelos, and Phantasos Oneiroi
Major: Magical Animal connections
Minor: Healing - specifically sleep troubles
High school attended: California High School
Magical awakening: There was no major event to highlight their magical abilities. The triplets were 15 when they discovered they could Dream Walk, and each one had a connection with a different aspect of the animal kingdom. They drove their parents crazy with dreams and constantly bringing home pets.
Most powerful spell/ability: Dream Walking, meaning the ability to bring and control dreams. Morpheus brings sleep and general problem-solving dreams and connects to herbivore animals. Icelos brings nightmares and connects to predatory animals. Phantasos brings fantastical dreams and connects to water-dwelling mammals.
History: The triplets grew up in small-town California going to big-town California schools. They are the only children of their long-suffering parents, and while they were never rich, they never knew real want. Their mother was a witch and a graduate of Samhein University, and so their parents hoped at least one of them would inherit magical ability. They just never expected all three of them with intertwining abilities.
Personality: The triplets are never seen apart, so much so everyone who knows them thinks of them as one individual. Some twins and triplets would find that maddening, but these three embrace it wholeheartedly. They are boisterous, playful, mischevious, and always seeking adventure and fun in everything. It seems nothing can get them down, and they've even been known to turn school punishments into games.
Appearance: Phantasos (the youngest) has white hair, Morpheus (the eldest) has sandy brown hair, and Icelos (the middle) has reddish-brown hair
triple10.png
Job at the college: They keep the grounds clean and keep an eye out for injured animals

Name: Ken Effie
Major: Magical Music (a sub-category of the Arts)
High school attended: Mosinee High School, Wisconsin
Magical awakening: His last school talent show, of all things. Ken was just there to have fun, and mid-performance, he realized his music had literally hypnotized the whole gym! But how was that possible?
Most powerful spell/ability: Musical hypnosis and suggestion
History: Ken had a pretty average upbringing. He didn't know much about magic, he didn't care much about magic. All he knew was he had an aunt who was "different." It wasn't until the incident at school that he learned she was actually a witch. Still a little dotty and weird, but that was just her, not because of the magic.
Personality: Lost in the clouds with no intention of coming down. He is a go-with-the-flow kind of guy, not interested in being a part of any fuss or making any fuss. Oh, sure, if you push him hard enough, he'll fight back and he's got quite the tongue on him.
Appearance: Short, barely over 5 feet in height, blue-ish hair, grey eyes
large.png
Job at the college: Night Janitor

Name: Sonnet Nettle Elderwood

Major: Herbalism and magical Buisness, maininly the chemistry involved with creating different potions for different uses and running a potions shop.

High school attended: She attended an all girls privet high school for witches known as Ostara High School. Her family has had magic flowing through their bood for generations and they made sure she had the best schooling they could give.

Magical awakening: Sonnet had her first strike of magic when she was around 5. Her family had been teaching her potion making and plant magic and she was able to make a small flower grow instantly.

Most powerful spell/ability: She has the ability to make plants grow faster and stronger. Is is her most powerful ability and most of her spells are made around nature and plants.

History: Sonnet was born to a very prosperous family of witches. They have had nature magic in their bones from as far back as they can find. Spells were passed down through the daughter's, and their daughter's daughter's. The witch girls made sure to marry witch boys even though this didn't guarantee them a witch child, it was easier to live.
Her ancestors moved in the British country side and made a fortune selling the best and most bountiful crops. They had everything anyone could need, and for the witches, they would keep special magical herbs and grow them for potion brewing. The ladies would grow these in the forests and tend to them with spells and encouraging words.
Sonnet was born into this as well. Her family, distant and close mostly all lived in the same manor, tending the grounds witch or otherwise. They kept animals and most importantly kept very rare herbs that were good for potions and spells.
She loves tending to the plants from a young age and she was good at it. She loved the flowers and her mom helped nurture this love.
She grew up going to a witch inclusive grade school, where she made avrage grades, but was always a topic of discussion and popularity because of her social standing. In high school this quickly turned sour as her every action and move was watched. Ostara was only for witches, and her families standing proceeded her before she could even introduce herself. Lots of people wanted to be her friend for all the wrong reasons. And some hated her because the attention was no longer on them. Everyone talked about her. If she made good grades she was a know it all. If she made bad ones she was stupid. If she liked someone it was for all the wrong reasons and if she turned someone down she was stuck up. So by senior year she dropped out and finished her studies at home. Her depression had only been worsened, but surrounded by her family, they helped her through the tough parts and encouraged her to still go to Samhain. So she put on a brave face and went, after taking some time for her mentle health.

Personality: Sonnet is a very shy person, but she tries to be as kind as she can. Her standoffish trait tends to makes her seem stuck up, but getting to know her, she is a very endearing and maternal friend. Despite the pressure from her family to be the best, she is very laid back, and doesn't really care about standing out or showing off. In fact, she can actually go through very lazy periods, though she will usually buckle down when needed. Usually.

Appearance: Sonnet looks thin and gentle like a fawn. Her figure is not shapely at all, thin and frail like the flowers she loves to tend to. She was only about 5'2" and 130 lbs.
Her face was a sweet little oval, and her brown bob fit it well. Her thick brows framed dark honey eyes that his behind glasses. She was dotted with freckles and her skin had a soft tan to it. Her nose was small and curved slightly up, and her lips were heart shaped.
a04ba8d195de367c3f77d6e5603736a1.jpg
Job at the college: Sonnet works at the school coffee shop in the morning, using her potion making skills to mix up delicious drinks.

Anyone can be roommate's. You can be roommate's with me or you can live in a separate house, it's all up to you.

Well, not Sage. It's too short and doesn't sound mystical. Bindweed would be a better herb if you want to stick with herb names. Plus Bindweed sounds cooler than Sage. Sage just breaks the feel.

Back
Top Bottom