Writing Challenge - August 2016

Currently reading:
Writing Challenge - August 2016

Who best depicted a personal heaven (Please read ALL entries before voting)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JamesMartin

Sa souvraya niende misain ye
Staff member
Administrator
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 1:18 PM
Pronouns
He/Him
The August Writing challenge is here!!! Thanks once again to the brilliant writers who make these possible.

We're not all that nice to our characters are we? The poor buggers wind up shot, stabbed, kidnapped, broken, beaten, enslaved and worse, all to satisfy that writing itch. Just look at the hells all you talented sadists put them through last month :(

Well we at your local Sanctum and character torture emporium feel it's time for us all to give back. And so, for the month of August, your prompt:

Write a character in their own personal heaven.

Once again, feel no obligation to put them in literal heaven (and if you do, make it clever!!!). Just give back, write a place where they are happy, content and where everything just goes their way. You owe them that much!!!

The challenge will close on Sunday, August 28th and voting will last for 1 week. Get us those submissions!!!

Quick housekeeping note:

PLEASE, in addition to other rules, refrain from including any OOC chatter or unnecessary beautifying from your entry. It unfortunately makes it quite difficult to prepare the threads for voting and can be hard for those on other themes to read.

She woke to the cooling of the air. Her skin rising with goosebumps as she stretched out on the dirt floor of the cave. Nearby was her family. They were furry, quadrapedal and warm to cuddle close to on cold days and nights. Her pack consisted of all adults, with only two pups. She slowly got up and stretched, arching her back, and yawned.

With her hands and feet planted on the ground she perked her brow. Noticing they were out already hunting. Very few had stayed behind to protect the den. So, she decided to venture out on her own. To find a kill, she would have to put her knowledge of the hunt to the test.

Coming outside on hand and foot she took a long sniff of the air. Pulling in the wind with her nose. She could smell the scents of each wolf, as they had not been out to long. She looked around with caution at first. To make sure there were no predators, but truly besides a few wild cats and a bear or two they were the top predators in these woods. However, the case hunters also enjoyed staying the night and catching prey.

She put the thought of the human beasts at the back of her mind. Her nose lowering to the ground as she sniffed along the grass and tree roots. Finding some grub she quickly ate it as a light snack before her true hunt began. With a lick of her lips she bolted off running on hand and foot into the wooded terrain.

Panting lightly, as she ran as fast as she could, until she found and caught the scent of the rabbit. If she could catch it this would be her first kill. One to prove she was no longer a pup, but a hunter for her pack. Crouching low to the ground was her way of assessing if the rabbit was out. She surveyed the land until she saw it. The white fluffy bunny rabbit sitting alone, and grazing on the grass.

She crept up on it. Its ears twitching, head lifting, and she was caught. The rabbit ran quickly into its own den. This was ideal for her, as she crept forward padding lightly on her hands and feet. Belly low until she was ontop of the bunny hole.

Her hands started to quickly dig at the dirt, but the rabbit leapt out. She snarled a bit as it ran off. This only made her run and chase it down. Panting heavily as she missed out on the rabbit. This was a disappointment, but she soon heard the call of her pack and quickly knew she was blessed to have her family, her pack, and from the sounds of it, a fresh kill to come home too. After all practice makes perfect and she was in heaven knowing that she was going to be a great hunter someday.

Last edited:
It's January 18th. The time is just after Dawn.

The city's doing its regular routine. Taxis are taking people to their jobs, vendors are handing out decent hot dogs and bagels to people who didn't eat breakfast, exercise junkies are running through Central Park's emerald trees and cracked paths, and the sun is coming up over the horizon to cast shadows across the world and yet illuminate it at the same time.

And while everyone else has started their day, started their routine, their simple, consistent routine, we're standing in the new part of the cemetery. It's on a hilltop.. lots of sky, lots of clouds.. lots of sun and moon and stars. Lavender will bloom there in the summer, and the magnolia trees' pink petals will dot the verdant grass. The tombstones sit upright and stark against the lawn, and there's a newly made grave before them that would have been filling up with a bit of water from the rain had they not put a tent up for the mourning.
It's as though the sky cries for her passing, too.

They sit beneath the green tent, listening to the rain and the stunning silence. It's a solemn day, a somber, sad day, and there are no words to express the sorrow that buries itself in their hearts to make an everlasting home, for none of them will ever be the same.

Especially her mother.

Who is coming?

A little girl.
It is sad when the young die.

Yes. Indeed.
The Dead whisper among themselves, looking past the mourners and into the Great Beyond where they hope to journey one day when their time of forgetting and letting go of the world is done.

Do you know her name?

I believe her name is Hadley.

"Birdie.." Julia, Hadley's godmother, whispers, "It's time."

She looks over at her friend, her eyes previously glued to the casket that is two sizes too small, the casket a size that should never ever have to be built for anyone. She swallows, but she stands, and she moves for the small podium next to the small coffin.

"Thank you.. everyone.. for being here to pay.. your respects to.." Her voice cracks, "My baby.. my Hadley." She chokes a bit on her name, but after a pause, a wipe of her cheeks, a cough, she continues, "Your love and support.. Will be what gets me through this.."

Hadley stands among the Dead now, next to her own little grave, which is just a diminutive hole in the ground now. She watches her mother, a soft frown resting upon softer features that mirror Birdie's.

"Mommy looks so sad.." She mumbles.

They always do.

Yes.. She will be sad for a long time..

She will heal, dear.
It's going to be all right.
She looks about the Dead, studying their empty faces, their void visages, "Will she really be okay?.." Her gaze returns to her mom, "I don't want Mommy to be sad.."

Shhh, dear.. She will be okay.

Our time here is to let go.. To move on to what is Next.
Haddy frowns deeper, an expression that is sharply defined against the vapid ones around her, "What is next?"

We don't know, dear..

But we'll find out soon enough..

Birdie smiles through the tears that refuse to stop coming, "I remember when she was born.. And I never knew that I could love anything so much, that.. that people started off that tiny." She breathes a small laugh, "And.. I remember when she called me Momma for the first time, and that I was glad I kept her, and that I'd always keep her." She sniffs, wipes her cheek. But as she continues, her voice, which was wavering, became an earthquake, "I blame myself.. For letting her go to that birthday party. I should have thought about the ice.. I should have known that people would be drinking, would be drunk.. I shouldn't have let her into her friend's car.."

"It isn't your fault, Mommy.." Hadley beholds her crying mother, and it breaks her heart even if it doesn't beat anymore. She speaks to the dead, "She's going to know it isn't her fault, won't she?"

Yes, she will know it eventually.

Shhh, be still, Hadley..

It will be all right.

After a minute of composing herself, a sorrowful song whose piano cries, she continues with the eulogy, "I wanted Hadley to have the life I never had.. To have the freedom to become anything she wanted, anyone she wanted.. To make her own choices.. To be her own person.." Another disturbed laugh, "And she was the most beautiful person I have ever known.."

Hadley sits next to her grave, right down in the wet grass, but she doesn't feel its dampness, doesn't feel its cold, and she makes a face at that, "I don't feel anything like I used to.."

No, you won't.

It all fades.

The world will fade.
Memory will fade.

And so will your mother's pain.

"Are you sure?.." She asks, watching her mother speak in a sadness that Hadley has never known.

Yes, we are sure.

Don't linger on the living, Hadley..

They will join us soon.
Birdie swallows that lump again before she looks at her child's grave, "Haddy.. Mommy loves you.. So, so, very much.." Her voice breaks on her name, on love, on much, "I.. I can never thank you enough, my sweet baby.. For teaching me not only to love others, but to love myself.. I can never thank you enough.. for the most beautiful adventure I could ever be on.. You will always be in my heart.. And you will always be my sunshine."

Tears streak Hadley's cheek as she watches everyone cry, especially her mother, but before she can bear to watch her leave, she whispers a question Birdie can't hear.

"Will you sing to me, Mommy?.."

But it's as though Birdie can hear it. From a place far away, from some other world, from a beach, from home, from memory.

"You are my sunshine.. My only sunshine.. You make me happy.. When skies are grey.." She's completely shattered, in pieces, in ruin, but the song brings calm to her, brings calm to the rain, brings calm to Hadley, "You'll never know just.. how much I love you.."

Hadley's eyes are closed as she waits for what is Next, for her Great Beyond, as the last line comes out as a sob.

"Please don't take.. my sunshine away.."

"Goodbye, Mommy."

"Please."

---

A year passes, my friends, and when she walks onto that stage, it's as though she has never left.

She feels the suspense, tangible and real, hanging in the air, as the audience holds its breath, waiting and watching this alabaster figurine, this ballerina twirling in their music box. And the lights no longer burn her skin and sear into her bones. No.. They are warm and bright, sunshine for her to bask in, to dance in, and when she hears the first piano key, and she's off.

But this time, it's different.

The broken bird is no more. The woman spinning before the crowd is not caged. She is not trapped. She is not tailing the piano. She is not a prisoner in her own mind. She is not lonely. She is not afraid. She is not abused. She is not caged.

She's free.

The piano chases her, following her every delicate step, and yet each tread is powerful. It marks a journey, a path. It exposes and showcases the work that she's done, the road and tribulations that it's taken to get her freedom, what it's taken to get to that stage, that beautiful stage. She's powerful. She's fearless. She's nurtured.

For once in her entire life, she suddenly knows what it's like to be sovereign.

To be independent. To be self-ruled. To be unrestricted. To be unimpeded. To be liberated. To be exempt.

With her wings outstretched, she is able to take flight for the first time. They watch her opening flight, her inaugural exodus from the person she used to be, from her past, from her fears. She is a bird, but not just any bird. She is a phoenix rising from the ashes of a burned down life. She's being reborn on that stage. Heart aching. Heart racing. Heart pounding. Heart throbbing. She's finally who she wants to be, and for the first time she can breathe. All anyone sees is this rebirth, this lionhearted woman.

But she's far from the stage.

Far from the lights, far from the crowd, far from the piano, far from here. She's on a beach, basking in her own piece of heaven, eyes on cerulean waters that kiss at her ankles, and toes in pristine sands. She doesn't hear their cheers. She hears the surf, the gulls. She hears Her.

"Mommy!"

Birdie is no where to be found, even as she is blessed, gifted with a standing ovation. As the crowd is rising like the tide, she is drifting farther away. She doesn't stand on a stage; she stands on the shore.

She's in some other place.

A place where she's Mommy, a place where she's Birdie, a place where she's finally free.

She's home.

Ella's sits quietly on the bench outside the courtroom. With all her strength she wishes she could be in there, but she wasn't strong enough. One look at her father and she would cease to exist. That hard stare, with absolutely no love in his eyes for his nineteen-year-old daughter. She's seen that stare every day. She would wish for that stare. Because the only exception was a murderous glare that promised she wouldn't be able to walk in the morning. It was safe out here. Right? Her mind wanders to that night, a month ago. The last night with her father. The longest night of her life.

Ella set down the plate of food in front of her father. Chicken breast, mashed potatoes and corn. What her father demanded. Her head stayed down as she took her seat at the other end of the table. She knew better than to start eating before him, so she sat completely still and watched him through her eyelashes. The color faded from her face at the look on his. She did something wrong. There was something wrong. The urge to run was so strong, but he would probably just catch her and break her legs. Her hands balled into little fists and she waited, wondering how bad it would be this time.

Her father pauses a moment before tossing the plate of food across the room. "What the fuck was that? You purposely burned my chicken, didn't you, ya little shit?" Before Ella could speak he was on his feet and stomping angrily in her direction. He fisted her hair and yanked upward, dragging her off her chair as she screamed in pain. Before she can catch her breath he is right in her face. "I thought I taught you the last time what happens when I am disappointed. Are you capable of doing anything right? Apparantly you need some further lessons."

His fist connected with her stomach so hard she was unable to breathe. Then that same fist slammed into her jaw, disorienting her and sending her to her knees. Which ripped out the handful of hair he was holding. There was so much pain in so many places it felt like one large pain throughout her entire body. She just wanted the pain to stop. "Please, please stop. I'll be good!" But the words fell on deaf ears as he fisted her hair once again and slammed her head into the table. Black began to cloud her vision and she collapsed onto the floor.

All of a sudden she was on her back, her father looming over her. Blow after blow smashed into her face, the searing pain so sharp she screamed at the top of her lungs. It would make no difference. No one would hear. Blood flowed freely into her eyes, but that wasn't what stopped her vision. Blackness creeped up on her and all was still.

Ella sighs. Why did that happen to her? She had drama like every other person out there. It wasn't fair that she grew up like that. So here she sits, waiting for the verdict she hopes they will read. Guilty. He deserves that. SHE deserves that. A very well-dressed woman exits the courtroom, not even looking at Ella as she walks away. One sentence was overheard as the woman walks away. "He's going away for a long time, that bastard." Guilty. They found him guilty. A rush of peacefulness the likes of which she had never known washes over her.

"Ella. Time to go now, sweetie." An impossible voice breaks into her thoughts and she turns around. Her mother stands there, hand outstretched. "So many are waiting for you, my Ella bug. Come." Without hesitation Ella takes her hand, and they walk of into eternity. Where there is no pain. And everyone is happy. And she can be with her mother for the first time in three years. Heaven awaits.

Is...Isai...

"Wh-...what's that...?"

ISAIHEN!!!

Launched out of his dreaming, the young angel was rolled out of bed and hit the floor with a loud yelp of pain. What dream had he been having? What had happened to him? A groan escaped his lips as he made to rise to his knees, hearing a young girl's laughter behind him. He turned his head around to look up at the dark-skinned girl behind him, beaming at the way he looked. Her hair was short and brown, wrapping around her head, and her eyes were a deep blue, standing out from her chocolate skin.

"Now that's the stupidest face I've seen from you all week." The angel girl said with another short giggle, her wings flapping some behind her. With a smirk, Isaihen stood up and raked a hand through his hair, stretching. "Yeah yeah, very funny, Ophera. Why was I sleeping?" He asked, remembering that angels had no need for sleep.

Ophera frowned and cocked her head. "I was about to ask you the same question. Do you not know." The boy searched his mind and found nothing, unable to really recall much of anything before he woke up. What he did remember was that this was Ophera, a fletchling who had been born just after he had. "Nope, no idea..." He said in reply.

With shrug and stepped past her and out of the small room, knowing the girl would be in tow behind her. They seemed to do everything together, sometimes seeming closer than anyone thought was healthy. They relied on each other and built each other up. Only recently had they started staying together in the same home, so as to keep each other company. Walking out onto the deck, he felt Ophera's presence behind him. Hugging him happily, she looked up at him with a smile. "What's up? You seem more out of it than you usually are." Her smile turned into a slight face of worry. With a lack of an answer, Isaihen merely frowned and shook his head. He remembered something important happening, but he didn't know what...

Isaihen opened his mouth to speak when a voice called down from the ground below them. "Isaihen! Ophera! What are you doing?" They both moved to the balcony to look over, seeing an older angel standing below them, waving. "Michael!" Ophera said with a happy grin, hopping up and over the balcony and hitting the ground. She ran over to hug the larger man, who laughed and returned the gesture. Isaihen followed down shortly behind her and made his way over slowly. Something made him hesitate as he made his way over, but he didn't know what. This was Michael, the archangel. He was overseer of the Lord's armies and a close personal friend and mentor of both himself and Ophera. He would spend hours with them recounting some of the great stories he'd witnessed over and over again, and so often did Isaihen just sit and listen, glad to be apart of something so good.

Michael gave the young angel a wide grin when he approached, holding out a hand to him. Taking it in his, the boy shook it. "Welcome back, sir. It's good to see you returned safely." He said plainly, wondering why he was so reserved towards this man. The look in his eyes caught his attention, it was one that knew. Michael squeezed his hand and nodded, and something about it was...so familiar. The archangel opened his mouth to speak.

"Welcome home, Christopher."

It all flooded back. The war, thousands of angels lying dead in the streets. A young girl was crying over her parents bodies. He rushed in to save her, only to be grabbed by two warriors and dragged away, kicking and screaming.

The sentence, he stood before a court of two hundred brothers and sisters, his eyes lowered to avoid their gazes of hatred. He listened as his judgement was pronounced. Guilty...

"WHY?! YOU CAN'T DO THIS!!" A scream of pain, forgetting for a moment the reason of his sentence. Michael stood over him, his hand gripping the chain that would hold the angel for eternity. They wouldn't rip out his wings, for the guilt was not his own, but his still to bear in the place of another.

Christopher Floreston was his name...and it carried so much pain. Millenia of hatred, a millennium more of learning, and still yet another of rebellion. He'd made friends with demons and creatures unknowable. He had fought against them, fought for them, and fought with them....

He remembered his death, walking down the path to the garden that once stood across the river Tigris. As he approached a hill, he was greeted by a young centurion, his wings opened in full expanse to greet the elder Isaihen. "Is it time?" He asked the centurion as he drew his sword. Silence was his only answer.

Had it all been...just a dream?

The tears flowed freely down his face, his old mentor still smiling down at him. "Can I stay...just a little while longer...?" The man laughed warmly stepped aside to show him the road he once walked. It led straight up to a large temple, where a white light flowed out. Ophera merely smiled, somehow understanding as well what this meant.

"You've got a lot of people to see. I'm sure He'll give you just enough time. Let's not keep Him waiting."

Leaning back in an armchair cloaked in shadows, crossed black stocking legs the only thing visible, and a cup of blood wine in hand. Amilia was relaxed and calm as she sat in her expansive library and listened to the soft lulling notes of a dark opera. She flicked her foot, took a sip of the wine, and gave a relaxed groan. Licking her lips clean of the ages old wine she could taste the heated nodes of cinnamon and clove as they mingled together with the sweet iron taste of blood. She gave a soft mumble before she tensed and set her glass down on the table next to her. As she uncrossed her legs she could hear the front door of her manor being broke down and booted feet rush in.

"Intruders, ruining my relaxation time." Amilia huffed as she stood and allowed the shadows of the room fall ways from her. She now wore what she liked to call her combat wear. Black tee under a pocketed army vest, black khaki shorts for great maneuverability, and for added fun some combat boots she was given as a gift. Stained in years of blood, it still looked damn good on her from start to finish. She didn't bother tying her hair up into a ponytail, she just wanted to get out of the library so she wouldn't ruin her books.

Closing the oak door she listened to the hallway and could hear people on both sides. Facing them head on so close to the library was out of the question, so she went into the next room and out the window to the lower floor. If the sound of breaking glass didn't attract attention then Amilia's imperfect tuamble did. Before she had a chance to stand the bedroom door was kicked in and gunfire was heard. Amilia's was able to put up an obsidian black shadow before zipping around to the side and attacking her assailants. Her hand plunged into the throat of the man closest to her and severed it from his body. Her arm and shoulder was covered in blood as she attacked the next person. A young female who was screaming for her life before it was cut short with a neck snap.

Another huff and Amilia's walked out to the hall. A group was waiting for her, weapons aimed and ready to fire. Amilia's gave a smile before someone, obviously of higher command, spoke up.

"You are surrounded! Do not resist and come-" A knive embedded itself deep into the mans skull, and as he stood there in a state of dead shock Amilia was already advancing. The group opened fire, but the shadows blocked the bullets and allowed her safe passage to the men. She landed in the middle of them and started the bloodbath. She made quick work with the living; tearing out throats with a giggle, ripping off heads in a glorious display, and even just beating them senseless with feet and fists.

By the time she finished, blood covered the walls and pieces of bodies were scattered about. She had devoured almost half of the group and her whole front was covered in sticky blood. Amilia gave a soft chuckle from her torrid of laughter before she picked up a poor fellows arm and wiggled it about.

"How sad, you were married." Amilia tossed it the the side and went to the foyer. She didn't see anyone else on her way here, didn't hear or smell anyone either, but the shadows were trembling with anger as if there were people still there. She figured they were some type of special ops and were sticking to the shadows.

Amilia rolled her shoulders and gave a soft whisper, allowing the shadows to come to life. The first thing she heard were the screams as people were instantly consumed in the pitch black void. The remaining rushed out to attack Amilia but she just giggled as beast like beings leaped out and mauled the men and women. With a twisted grin she watched, kneeling down as a being had their arms ripped from the sockets and their skin torn apart. She stood and closed her eyes, listening to the screams of pain and suffering before tilting her head back and laughing. When she finally finished and opened her eyes, she was back in the library. Holding her empty wineglass and staring at the ceiling. She was in a dream and she was utterly disappointed it ended so soon.

Sunlight glimmering on an ocean free
Nothing but the horizon in front of me
The endless days of the sun and the sea
A deep inner peace for this one to be free

Free of the bonds of a world gone cold
A desire for sunsets was never so bold
An explosion of colors, blues, purples and gold
These magical skies to be seen before I grow old

No regrets, no pondering the days gone by.
No more ifs ands or buts, no more wheres and whys
The wind in my sails, making me soar, making me fly
My slice of heaven, the sea, the sun and the sky

At peace with my past, the decisions I made
Pains of the loves I had lost now slowly fade
No more worrying about the games that were played
No more wondering, "What if I had stayed?"

In the darkness of night, this full moon my guide
With ease this boat, my sanctuary, my home... it glides
Across these oceans, with their currents and their tides
A special harmony, this man and his boat, with no need to hide

Across a liquid black sky an endless universe of stars appear
Giving me hope for all of my tomorrows and erasing all of my fears
On these vast beautiful oceans of blue, so deep and so clear
Chasing these sunsets is everything I hold dear.

Lets press rewind and retry
Back to a time where I could spread my wings and fly
Where my family is not bound by a brand or shackles
But instead I can hear their lovely cackles

We will sit under the shimmering moonlight
And forget our fears of height
We will forget our past a jump ahead
And the water below will protect us, so we don't end up dead

Screaming, and laughing until impact
Though this time we are left intact
Let the water caress those bloody scars away
Our salty wounds will be washed with this fresh water lake today

Doggy paddle to the shore
We have never felt so clean before
And i becomes I, as we soak back our once drained worth
Maybe we are going through rebirth

These tears we shed are filled happiness
If only, if only the world held such kindness
If only, if only this heavenly dream
Was more than a dazzling gleam

There is a saying, and I think a techno song, that claims heaven is a place on earth. We're deluded to imagine days of endless mirth. Thumping beats and wisdom aside, I know now that they both lied.

To describe as a place, or a state of being, is limiting yourself to what you could be seeing. Heaven is the manna, that feeds us, that fuels us. It is within and without, in the light and the dark. To each their own, to heaven this applies. But I found heaven in another pair of eyes.

More than just sight, it's the sound, it's the touch. Its quiet and deafening and sometimes too much. Look at the Angel, who fell to the earth; the light and the peace to him showed no worth.

I chose the dark and found paradise. It's depraved and twisted and soothes the inside. No thoughts required, just focus, just being. It's a smoldering hand and story worth reading.

Uyeda Raishin had a big heart. Too big for the kind of person he had chosen to become, for the type of path he took. A shinobi with such a heart did not last long. That was the unspoken rule of their world. People like that usually crumbled and broke or ruthlessly smoulder that part of themselves. The higher you were on the shinobi hierarchy, the less humane you became.

Of course, there were exceptions. There always were. Those who masterfully wore a socially-acceptable mask whenever they were not on a mission, those who developed eccentric personalities and quirks to counter their killer side…

But amongst all these unique characters, Raishin stood out. He survived being an elite for more than a decade without erasing his big heart, a highly-skilled killer who had no need to hide behind masks because it was his nature to love. He loved this beautifully imperfect world, with its stains and darkness and bloodshed. While others tittered uncertainly between light and dark, he happily embraced both. The fire burning warm and bright within his soul never wavered, never cooled, never disappeared.

However, a fine line existed between love and hatred. Just one shove in the right direction at the right time and even the most balanced soul would tip.

The moment he saw the mass of invaders trying to bash their way through the seal barrier of his home village, Raishin felt the fiery warmth in his being start to cool.

When the first invaders slipped through a crack in the dome the warmth disappeared.

When the first house in the outer region blew to smithereens the fire was back. Not the warm fire that typically burned through his body – the warm feeling of being alive and loved and being loved in turn – but a cool icy flame that sharpened his senses and drew his lips back in a hideous parody of his usual sunny grin.

When the first civilian was mercilessly cut down the ice had engulfed him, numbing the small part of his brain that was raging and crying at the destruction brought down upon his village.

His kunai had buried itself in the throat of the murderer even before the civilian's body hit the ground.

Then he was lost to the hatred that consumed his soul. He became blind to the corpses that littered his feet and blood that coated his hands and weapons. His mind screamed for these – these monsters – to be wiped from the face of this world. To be forever eradicated for daring to even lay a hostile finger on that which he loved – his family, his friends, his home. They did not deserve to live, and he would execute them all.

Water and lightning danced around him as he hacked through the never-ending wave of enemies. He had no idea where he was. All that he focused on was to push them back. Push them out and away.

A flash of green light erupted out of the corner of his eye and he lunged sideways, hands in a death grip around a head. A simple twist and the struggling ceased. And addition to his rising body count.

"Father!"

Raishin blinked.

Red hair and lilac eyes. Eyes like his. A shake of his head and the face became clearer.

Raijyuu. His son. His eldest. Alive. Bruised and panting, but alive.

He jerked and grabbed Raijyuu's forearm in alarm. His eldest was here but where was his second?

"I – Inazuma. Where's Inazuma? Have you seen him?"

"Father, calm down. Inazuma is with his team. He'll be fine as long as he's with them. Now is not the time or place, we need to get them out of here."

Them? Who?

A soft groan drew his gaze to a pile of wounded shinobi, sweating medics running their green-glowing hands over the worst injuries.

A disturbance in the air behind. He stepped to the left and snapped a leg out, crushing rib cages and flinging the body away. More invaders began to close in, slowly surrounding the small group.

And deep, deep down, beneath all the ice and cold fire, a small spark of warmth flared to life. Raishin embraced it, feeling the warmth flooding his being once more. Lifting his hand, he gently cupped his son's face, his typical sunny grin lighting his face a final time.

"Go Raijyuu, get them out of here. I'll see you later after taking care of these trash."

"Wha – Father! We can – "

He shoved his stubborn son back, turning away to face the incoming foes.

"Go." In a whisper. "I love you both. Forgive me. I'd better not see either of you for a long time."

And the last bit of love in him vanished. The bloodthirsty grin was back. He did not turn to see if the group was retreating, did not want to chance his son's last image of him as a feral hatred-driven killer. Did not want their image of him tarnished.

As he walked to his death with both eyes wide open, Raishin laughed at the irony of it all. Here he was, an elite who did the impossible – who managed to retain his heart when everyone else failed – crumbling in the last few minutes of his life.

A blade pierced through his lung and out the back and his strength gave out. Crumbling to the ground, his head lolled to the side. As his vision darkened, a fiery crimson butterfly fluttered into view. Sunlight glinted off its wings, casting the most vibrant shade of red, the colour of his late wife's hair.

Beautiful.

Some people described paradise as a pure, untainted land. White clouds and lush green plains as far as the eyes could see. Others described it as home, the smell of mother's cooking and the familiar crescendo of voices as the family got together. For killers like him, he doesn't dream of paradise, doesn't wish to see it and never believed in a realm beyond that of the living.

Paradise was the present. Every breath, every kiss, every flash of emotion, every glimpse of his family. He lived his entire life in his own personal slice of heaven, carved and built with his own two hands which served as his legacy. And he willingly died for it. Would give his life over and over again if it meant keeping his family safe.

My haven would continue to flourish under their care. Even if I am not there. It's all I can ask for.

A chuckle bubbled from his bloody lips and his eyelids slipped closed. Even as his body stilled and began to cool, the last thing he felt was a warm embrace and a gentle caress.

One last farewell from paradise.

What a way to die.

The darkness was broken by a flashing image, reminding her of an old, flickering movie reel. Flames danced and licked at the air, leaving nothing of the crumbling house untouched by the consuming heat. The dark, night sky behind the flames was almost surreal, and things were silent. The moving image only lasted a few moments before the darkness returned.

I didn't even get to say goodbye.

A face appeared, then a second. One was a man, the other a woman. The woman was in her early fifties, told only by her worn skin. Her eyes and smile had never changed, and were always as lively as ever. The man appeared to be around the same age, his smile just as gentle as his eyes. They were happy.

Mother, father... I'm sorry.

The image changed, and was still. A young woman, perhaps in her mid twenties, wore an angry expression. She had long brown hair, like the aged woman in the previous image, and emerald green eyes, like the man beside her. The image suddenly lurched to life, and began flickering, as if playing the reel, yet still with on sound. The young woman was yelling towards the older woman, the man beside her, his hands held in front of him in a calming gesture. Despite his efforts, the young woman wouldn't heed, and threw down the book she'd been holding. The image paused just before the young woman could slam the front door of the home as she left.

I was so awful... Maybe I deserved to die.

Another face. This one was around the same age of the young woman, maybe a little younger. She had brown hair as well, with blue eyes. She was smiling, reading a book, the same book that had been thrown onto the ground in a previous captured moment, curled up in a window seat filled with cushions and pillows. She was beautiful, and smart, and...

She didn't deserve to die. I should have been in her place.

From the nothingness, she could suddenly feel something wet, over her feet and tickling her ankles. It was rising, quickly, until the water was over her head, and her eyes suddenly opened. Streams of sunlight peeked through the murky water's surface, though doing little to aid her vision. The air left her lungs faster than imaginable, and she was sinking, sinking endlessly like a rock falling to the bottom of an ocean. Help me! She cried into the water, which only choked her, burning her throat and chest like liquid fire. Her hands reached for the surface, but she was too far down. The light was fading, her eyes slowly beginning to close.

I'm sorry, Candice... I couldn't save you. You knew I'd always been a weak swimmer... I should've tried harder. Maybe you'd be there to see my funeral, and I wouldn't have had to cry at yours.

"Casey?" The voice was soft, and distant. It was her sister's voice.

Candice... Maybe this is the start of hell.

"Open your eyes, Casey." She did.

At first she squinted from the blinding light, before it softened, and after a few blinks, she could begin to see what was in front of her. The sun was shining down on a field of tall grass of flowers, where they swayed with a gentle, refreshing breeze. Casey was sitting, she soon realized. If it was hell, it didn't seem like it now. The view was breathtaking. She slowly stood, barely feeling the soft cloth of a sundress dancing around her legs from the breeze. Casey looked down, and smiled, curling her toes to feel the soft grass beneath. She turned her head to see a large, looming tree that seemed to stretch to the heavens. It was the only thing in sight, with nothing but grass and flowers on the horizon in any direction. With little thought, she began walking towards the tree, letting her hands hang at her sides. Each stride was like a memory.

She took her first step. She could remember the day Candice was born. She had been just as elated as her parents at the sight of a new, baby sister. She'd only been five. The corner of her lips turned upwards into the start of a smile. A second step. Her first fishing trip with the whole family. She could remember her mother squealing, and Candice bursting into laughter as Casey waved a fish wildly at her mother. "I got one, I got one!" The third step. Candice was sick. So Casey got sick with her. Another step, the first time Casey had ever hit anyone. It'd been a boy, and it was for Candice. Step. A sleepover, with just the two of them. They laughed so hard, they snorted milk from their noses. Another. Candice was sitting in the window seat, reading a book while a foot swung side to side, hanging off the edge of the cushioned seat. The sunlight seemed to dance off of her hair. Blue eyes looked up from the pages to Casey, and Candice's lips curled into a smile. She had always loved her sister's smile.

Casey looked up when her hand touched a rough surface. She had arrived at the tree. Tears welled in her eyes, before they freely began to spill over, rolling down her cheeks. Oh, what I would do to be able to be forgiven. To see her face again, to hear her laugh, and talk, and...

"Casey?"

She turned her head towards the voice, only to see a woman identical to her sister standing in a similar dress as she. Casey was speechless.

"Why are you crying?" The woman smiled, her head tilting to the side.

Casey took a step towards her before falling to her knees, her shoulders hanging as did her head, her eyes squeezed shut. "Candice, please forgive me. I should have been able to save you. I should have jumped in, I should have done something right." Her words fell out in sobs, her breaths closer to heaves. "I... I should have been in your place," She continued, not daring to look up to her sister. Her eyes widened when she felt a hand on her shoulder, followed by a gentle squeeze.

"Oh, Casey..." Her sister whispered. "I forgave you a long time ago. I was never mad at you." Candice pulled her sister to her feet, holding her face in her hands and wiping the tears from Casey's eyes. "Please, don't cry. Tears never suited you." Casey weakly smiled, leaning into her sister's hands. Her touch was warm, and gentle, almost a caress. "I was... so awful to mother and father." Candice gently hushed Casey with a finger over the other's lips. "They understand, Casey. They could never stay mad at you, anyhow." It was all she needed to hear.

Without speaking another word, Casey took her sister's hand, intertwining their fingers as she had always done when walking with her sister. Candice smiled to her. She was as beautiful and vibrant as ever. Casey returned the smile, and began walking. They walked in silence towards the horizon, which seemed endlessly rolling. Suddenly Candice rushed forward, laughing as she began to run through the grass, her arms held out at her sides as if she were flying. Oh, what a laugh. It always reminded Casey of bells, and yet she had never heard a bell make such a heart tugging sound. Casey paused, listening, and watching as her sister ran ahead, swaying side to side as she ran, at times even swinging in a wide circle, like a bumble bee.

Her lips slowly curled into a wide smile that lit her eyes, before she ran forward to join Candice, stretching her arms to her sides. Before she knew it, a laugh spilled from her lips, and she knew that in that moment, she had never felt so good. The rushing breeze, the delightful smell, the beautiful sight, and the cherished sound of her sister's laughter. Everything was perfect.

Like my own, personal... Heaven.

Ilyssa was walking through the snow. Walking always calmed Ilyssa down when her anger gets too big for her to handle but since it was snowing now it added to that calmness that Ilyssa found so hard to capture if not for walking. The reason for Ilyssa's anger was because of her roommate. The two had a fight about pointless stuff that could have been avoided.

Damn my emotions. Ilyssa thought.

Ilyssa was quite well at handling her emotions and was good at not caring about people she didnt know but when it came to her best friend she just couldn't contain her anger. This was the hell that she would have to pay for being emotionless all the time, huh? She didn't want this. She didn't wanna feel such deep emotions because she locked her others away.

She hadn't payed much attention but it seemed that her body had made her walk all the way to the park. Ilyssa sighed, seeing her breathe in the air as she did so, she stuck her hands in her coat pockets and went over to a bench. It was covered it snow and Ilyssa wasn't wearing gloves or a heavy enough jacket for her to just wipe it off. She had the idea to use her foot to try and wipe it off but instead slipped and fall back into the snowy grass.

This snow's frickin' cold!

Ilyssa quickly stood up and shivered, wiping any of the snow from her back and butt with her bare hands. The snow sucked the warmness from her hands making Ilyssa shiver. Once finished she shoved her hands back in her pockets and looked around. It was peaceful.

Ilyssa had been to this park many times before while it was Spring but other than that she hasnt been to this park. Spring time was the worst time for Ilyssa. She was depressed, absolutely sad and nothing was going her way. She came to this park and she hung out with the little kids. It kept her mind off of the unfortunate events unfolding in her life. She stayed away from the park because it brought up bad memories. But now, in this moment, Ilyssa was the happiest shes ever been.

Ilyssa's lips curled in a smile and she began to laugh. She laughed because she realized just how much time she has been spending around moping about every little thing going wrong in her life. It wouldn't change her personality but it changed her perspective around her friend. Possibly her only friend. This park was filled with horrid memories but somehow those memories were lost in the wind; somewhere the memories were effecting someone else who has gone through the same problem but this park was now free of those problems. It made Ilyssa smile and start making her way back to her apartment.

When she arrived, she shivered because of the warmth she finally felt after being outside in the cold for so long. Ilyssa looked at her friend, Mary, and simply said "I'm sorry."

Mary blinked in surprise and got off the couch. She moved closer and put her hand to her forehead "Do you have a fever?" This made Ilyssa laugh and hug her friend close "No, but I'm very cold." Ilyssa mumbled these words before the room fell silent. When they pulled away from the hug, Ilyssa was the first to break the silence "We should order take out and sit and watch movies." Mary smiled and nodded "That sounds perfect."

The two went out and got Chinese food and then came home, whipped out a laptop and turned on some Netflix to watch a movie. Ilyssa never knew but Mary was her happy place. Seeing Mary laugh and be happy was the only thing to make Ilyssa happy. As long as Ilyssa can make Mary happy, Ilyssa was happy.
This was Ilyssa's heaven.

The sun gently warmed her skin. The day itself could not have been ordered to greater perfection--not a cloud in the sky and a soft breeze caressed her skin. The young woman closed her eyes and sighed as she took in the sights and smells around her. The birds kept up a pleasant chatter in the background. Quieter still was the rhythmic splashing of water from a nearby fountain. The fragrance of the flowers around her drew a small smile on her lips. She would memorize their smells--differentiating between the rose and the hyacinth, between the lilac and the jasmine. Each small piece was important and she filed it all away for when she would need them.

The most distinctive smell of them all was the earth itself and her smile widened as fingers dug into the soil. It was warm from the sun and still a bit damp, leaving it pliable in her hands. There was something about the way it broke apart in her hands coupled with its smell of promise, of new life that rejuvenated her soul. Her eyes opened and she returned to her original task of weeding the bed in front of her with gusto.

The weeds were such insignificant things. They were easily pulled away from the lovely blooms and tossed without a care into the pail beside her. Weeds that were only trying to live. Her fingers tightened on the one in her hand as she looked at the tiny plant. It was small and plain with no flower or beautiful leaves to recommend it. There was no fragrance about it. Worthless.

The word echoed in her mind. Was it her own voice she heard or the Master's? Suddenly the lash that haunted her days threatened to creep into her time. The only time she could call her own. Her scarred fingers curled around another weed and crushed it, cursing its weakness. A bitter laugh escaped her as she contemplated the irony of the ability of something so small to grow strong enough to choke out the larger plants. Yet she pulled it away and prevented it from doing so. The weed fell from her hand and into the pail soundlessly.

The shadows grew longer as she worked. Her thoughts were no longer troubled as she focused on her task. The time was drawing to a close and she meant to soak up every moment of it. Walking over to the fountain, she went to dip her hand into the water for a cool drink when she paused. A face she did not know stared back at her. Her hand lifted to her face and the image did the same, touching the skin that had withered without her knowledge. It was the only marker of the time that had passed since she had last tasted of the sun. The last she had glimpsed into the pool, a much younger woman had stared back at her. A woman who had not known how long the road would be, nor how endless the night would seem.

The garden, she saw with satisfaction, was much as it had ever been in the corner of her mind they could not touch. There, it had always been a warm summer day with vibrant blooms surrounding her.

A door opened somewhere nearby, followed by footsteps on gravel. Her time here was nearly at an end. Looking back at her reflection, it seemed likely this would be the last time she would visit. She began to gather her things so as not to keep the man waiting once he arrived to collect her. Then, glancing into her pail, she took hold of the weed laying on top. It was limp and a leaf was torn off. Quickly, she planted it in an out of the way spot not easily seen. Her voice came out in a hushed whisper, "One of us shall be allowed to grow strong."

Then without a backward glance, she rose and was lead away to a nearby building. The door closed firmly behind her.

"If you hear him, count to ten, you will feel all good again…"

Thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump!

"If you see him, count to five…oh come now, Inspector, surely you've heard the rhyme before? It's quite popular around here; your infernal investigations have made quite sure of that. I wasn't really prepared for a life of celebrity but some have greatness thrust upon them, do they not?"

Even in midsummer, the chamber beneath the ground was cold enough to see the bound woman's swift breaths. A pair of elevated steel tables flanked either side of a large drain set in the floor, one bearing something covered by a heavy sheet while other served as a brace for Inspector Emilia Spires, one of London's finest. Thick leather straps bound her wrists overhead while a matching pair anchored either leg to the unyielding metal of her captor's platform.

Thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump!

In hindsight, everything made sense and even with her heart all but beating out of her chest, the Inspector's mind wouldn't rest. The chamber explained why no one ever actually heard the murders take place, while the crazy bastard's apothecary served as the perfect way to keep anyone from smelling anything off. Reeking of medicine and herbs at all hours hid the stench of blood, even from the hounds and, worst of all, he was the one everyone in town went to for their remedies. He knew every victim personally, had regular access to their medical records and no one was the wiser.

Had they walked in with nooses around their necks, it couldn't have been made easier.

Thump-thump-thump-thump-thump!

Smiling softly, he watched as the pieces fall into place behind those stunning blue eyes. They had danced in and out of the shadows, through blood-clogged gutters and moonlit nights, finally leading to this. It was fate, there was no other explanation.

"I want you to know, Emilia- do you mind if I call you Emilia? This has all been part of a great goal, the purest pursuit, as a matter of fact. The others were, I'm ashamed to say, failed experiments but," he whispered, pausing with a rubber hose in his hands "…ultimately, all those lives will find meaning tonight."

Approaching, the tube went around her upper arm as his finger tapped the vein at the crook of her arm. The prick was practically painless, a minute needle secured with a cloth wrap as a thin stream of red curled outwards through transparent rubber beyond her sight.

Thump-thump-thump-thump!

"In a way, you offered me motivation the likes of which I've never felt before. It was…dare I say, fun. The thrill of the chase, of fleeing before your instincts and damnably swift intellect. The race against time, hah! No, no, the race against you, of wondering whether or not I would actually succeed before you discovered me." Splaying fingers over her left breast, his faded green eyes were mere inches from hers, lines showing in their corners as a grin split his face. "You, my dear Inspector, have inspired me beyond compare. You have my utmost gratitude…and hers."

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Her arms were growing cold, fingers numbing as realization finally hit and a weak tremor made the buckles of her restraints rattle gently against the platform. What was he talking about? There was an accomplice? Who was it? Who was the woman he was referring to?

Thump…thump…

She was so very tired, wouldn't it be better to just…sleep? She wanted to know, though; damned curiosity wouldn't allow rest until she'd puzzled it out. Who was his partner? A creeping sensation fluttered along her spine, eyes falling to the oblong, covered shape on the other table.

A shape very much like that of a body. A woman's body.

Thump…th….

He felt her slip away, head bowed in respect for the last worthy opponent. It was regretful that she should be the one he needed for this but-

"M…Mmm…Morgan…?"

Thump!

The voice was hoarse, almost a croak. It made sense: she'd not used it for almost a decade. Tears rolled openly down his cheeks as he moved to Her, hands pressed to his lips as emotion temporarily robbed him of the ability to speak. Clasping Her hand, he knelt and wept openly, laughing with soft joy as every blood-soaked night, every moment of doubt and even Emilia Spires death slipped away.

"Yes love, I'm here."

"You garbage guzzling, tar drinking piece o' shit! Get the hell back over 'ere!" Maxin couldn't keep the smile off his face. Garbage guzzling. Woo, that was one for the books. Leaping over a rolling cart with one pal, Maxin sent the rampaging, bearded man to his right a three-fingered salute.

"Thank ya for the booze."

"IT WASN'T FOR YOU! YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR IT, YA HORSE'S ASS!" As soon as his feet hit the ground, Maxin took off in a full on sprint through the town, taking care not to drag more attention to himself than he already had. Well of course he didn't pay for the booze. Who in their right mind was going to give Bilson Beston 4 silver coins for some of his cheap-ass, watered down beer? Not him, that was for sure. Leave it to the rest of the town to be a bunch of imbeciles. Where the common-folk paid in currency, Maxin paid in good deeds towards the town. While everyone were all nestled in their cots in the thick of the night, it was Maxin who put a stop to thieves coming up and hording all of their precious things. Yulna's vegetable garden would be nothing but weeds, Keemu's Clothing Shop would only have shelves left, and big ole Bilson Beston's beer would be all hunkered out. Hell, he didn't deserve a 289 pound man hobbling down the street after him shouting obscenities. He deserved a damn thank you! An eye for an eye, really! A lone ray of sunlight pierced through Maxin's straw hat, dousing him in the warmth of a clean get away. Ahhh, nothing quite compared to snatching a bottle of the finest beer for fre--

"Look out!" Maxin whipped his head in a sharp 90 degree angle towards the source of the sound. The only thing he saw was a blur of midnight black and cocoa brown. Then?

Nothingness.

Maxin's body jolted straight up like a mummy in a tomb, slamming the lids of his eyes shut when a blinding light raped his pupils. What in the hells was up with that? Peeling a lid back to reveal ashen gray eyes, the triple decade old man's jaw dropped into his lap. There, in front of him as clear as the sky, were two very, very large pillars of gold. Both monuments were in the shape of a gate, bars glistening against the array of sunlight that swept around the sky. Paralysis seeped into his body, plastering him to the spot. Not an inch of him moved, nothing but the eyes that continued to try to make sense of what he was seeing. Chancing a glance below him, Maxin was met with more sky. Sky. Sky! He was in the fucking sky!

"What the hell..."

"Woah, woah, watch it! None of that language here, thank you!" Panic forced his body to face the sound, head snapping to the right to see a woman with a short crop of golden hair leaning against once of the gates. She was donned in nothing by milk white dress that flowed down to her ankles, the rest of her feet sitting snuggly atop a fucking cloud. Maxin made a sputtering sound, eyes finally linked onto the large, cream and golden colored wings folded across her back. Ohhhhh man, he was going insane. A shaky hand reached up to wipe his brow although there was nothing there.

"Where am I?"

"Heaven," the wom--er, angel--- answered simply.

"You're shitting me."

"Stop! Stop it, gracious! Language!", she retorted, looking behind her like someone was about to materialize out of thin air behind her back. He wouldn't have been surprised if someone did. The angel took an inhale and retrieved a packet of parchment tucked under her eyes. "Name?"

"'Scuse me?"

"What's your name?"

"Oh. Uh, Maxin. Maxin Jefferson."
The angel made a click with her teeth and flipped through several pages. Maxin watched her, waiting patiently to wake up because he could not be seeing what he was seeing right then. After what felt like an eternity, the angel made an "ah" sound, blue eyes searching the page.

"Yes, Maxin Jefferson. The man who was trampled by the horse buggy."

"The man who-- Wait, hold up. What? The man who was what now?" The angel blinked at him, innocence catching on her face.

"A horse buggy? Says here you were trampled by a horse buggy about 3 minutes ago. Now you're here."

"In Heaven."

"In Heaven."

"Jesus fuck."

"Oh my GOODNESS! Could you just... What is with you? You are in the Land of the Lord!"
The angel opened both arms out wide to prove her point. "You can't just swear up and down all willy nilly like that!"

"Like hell I can't!" She twiched at the 'H' word but said nothing in response. "I was just killed, for Go-- For Gosh sakes. I think I deserve a little it more than your constant bitc-- I mean nagging, don'tcha think?" The angel did not retort for a long while, sizing the man who had just stood up wobbly on both feet. At last, she hummed in derision.

"Alright, fine. What would you like?"

"A beer," he mumbled. She raised a single eye.

"So be it." And with a flick of her fingers, a mug of the golden brew appeared in the palm of his hands. Jaxin almost pissed himself.

"You're kidding. You can just make whatever you want here?"

"It's Heaven. You lived your life however you choose to up until this point. Now the High One has brought you up here to spend eternity watching over the world and--"

"I can just make beer whenever I want to!"
Maxin fixed his beam on her, waving the mug-like goblet around triumphantly before a his smile fell onto his wrists. "Wait a second. Isn't alcohol like a sin or something? Why am I allowed to have it up here if it's so ungodly or whatever?" The angel huffed, wings sagging down along with the action.

"There isn't real alcohol in it."

"Then it ain't real beer then, is it?"

"It is real beer,"
she bit in response, tampering her anger down before it riled up again. "Alcohol is just a substance made to make you feel the way you want to feel and ignore the things you want ignored. It stimulates your senses as you see fit. Here in Heaven, beer makes you feel the way you want to feel with none of the consequences of doing something sinful or hell worthy." Maxin sipped at the drink gingerly, surprised that it tasted nothing at all like Bilson Belton's but refreshingly 'alcoholic', in a way.

"Huh. Waddya know. A guy can get used to this."

"Well, you kinda have to. You're stuck here forev--"

"Okay, again, lemme get this straight. I can have beer whenever I want to?"
The angel opened her mouth but Maxin cut her off by waltzing up to her, wrapping a hand around her dainty little shoulders. "And all I gotta do is snap my fingers and think really hard about it?" Before she got the chance to answer, Maxin chugged the beer and stared at his fingers, breaking them across one another in a crisp snap. "Beer." And there it was, emerging out of literally thin air, a goblet of beer landed at the sole of his feet. "Beer. *Snap.* Beer. *Snap.* Beer. *Snap.*" The angel squeezed the sheet from under her arm, searching violently through the long lists of names, looking for some kind of typo or something, because Maxin Jefferson was definitely not angel worthy. On cue, the man slapped a full palm on her back though eliciting no pain because of where they are.

"Imma get used to this place." With a gruff exhale, she turned away, purposefully slapping her wings against the hand that leaned up to his lips while he reached for a sip, spilling the liquid on his clothing.

"How's it feel so far?" she said snidely. Maxin wiped his chin with the back of his hand after taking another swig of beer, a wide smile reaching to each ear.

"Heavenly."

Stepping softly through the shadows, every muscle was taught,in the low light her ears strained to pick up any sound in the surrounding darkness . Somewhere out there she heard footfalls heavier than her own but moving just as swiftly, the occasional rustle of something amongst the trees. Leaf litter was wet under foot dampening the sounds of her movements a little. Cautiously she carried on, ducking under clawing grabbing arms that ripped and tore at her skin. Flinching and pulling back she gasped, thinking it was him, that he was already upon her but all that loomed over her was the motionless body of an old Hawthorn, its cruel barbs gripping her.
"Let me go " she hissed. it recoiled a little, begrudgingly releasing her as she drove herself onward.

Her breath was coming faster now, plumes of white vapour rushed from parted pale pink lips, lips that promised to satiate the burning hunger of her hunter , if he could find her, lips that promised cool relief ,of giving, of compliance. She hurried on through the chill night air, the shadows turning to nought but pitch blackness, with only slivers of moonlight cast upon the forest floor.
If only she could still the beating of her heart, hush the rushing in her ears, calm the prickling of her skin, then maybe she would have heard him circle round.

A noise behind her, close! Taking to her heels she ran, light, swift on her feet and lithe. Ebon curls tangled and damp swayed,then stuck to her back, He had released her in nothing but her underwear and a collar, and at first she had shivered standing stock still afraid to move, but he had towered over her then lowered himself, onyx eyes shimmered, looking straight through her, his head dropped until his mouth was by her ear and snarled the command with such absolution she had not even thought , just obeyed.
"Run Little Girl!"

So she fled, and now her lungs burned and her muscles ached and she trembled standing deathly still in a clearing expecting doom to be visited upon her at any moment. Nothing came just silence. Where was he? Had she lost him? ...What if she had lost him!

She spun heel upon heel ,eyes darting squinting in the darkness, cursing for turning herself about she now knew not what way she had come. Swallowing hard she blinked back tears, and a shuddering breath drew damp air deep into seared lungs. Choosing a direction , any direction she pushed on, she did not call out but tried to listen , and listen,something was moving. Out there in the darkness something moved, she heard new footfalls, these ones beat four times not two. Her eyes went wide and she picked up her pace, until she was all but careering blindly in a panic, the gait had become a lope -thud thud thud--thud thud thud-- thud thud thud.

Grasping her hand over her mouth she stifled a scream ,as she looked ahead and saw a sheer cliff rising high above her, there was nowhere left to go, she had been corralled, she glanced around desperately in the darkness for something, anything to defend herself, a stray branch was just within reach, grasping it with both hands she dropped her chin and narrowed her eyes, ready to meet the glare of her pursuer. Adrenaline surged through her, causing her to tremble, fear stole her breath and weakened her bladder.

Black eyes peered at her glistening, slowly a grey furred maw came into the clearing, little by little the beast emerged hunched low on all fours, it eyed the stick cocking its head slightly to oneside. It turned slightly to circle to her right, she turned her body to face it, it turned to go to her left ,again she turned to face it. Fear rolled off her like a wave and the beasts lips pulled back in a sly grin.

"Are we afraid little girl."

She opened her mouth to speak, when in a flurry of grey and shadow, she was thrown back, the stick wrenched from her grasp the beast jaws closed round it and it crumbled to nothing. She lay propped up on her elbows as he approached head low he drew a long breath as he stalked over her body, paw on either side, pulling her sent through his muzzle, tasting her on the roof of his mouth. He prowled the length of her body until his head hung by her ear his jaws open closing softly around her neck. Her hand reached up to feel his fur, a soft rumble came from deep within his chest.

" You have nothing left to fear little girl, I have caught you, you are mine."

Her small hands gripped his coat burying her face in his ruff, tears of relief and of gratitude ran down her face, she looked at the pitch black eyes.

" You have taken me from hell, and given me peace, solace, a haven, you have shown me nirvana."

"And here you shall stay , for you cannot flee, your will and heart are bound to me."

Last edited:
Aterio opened his eyes. No longer was there rumbling in the ground. No longer were there arrows raining down from the sky. No longer did he sense the bloodlust coming toward him from every direction. Instead, there was ... well there was nothing here really. He felt as if he was floating in outer space, but he knew all too well that it shouldn't be possible. No, perhaps it could be possible to reach there by the mean of magic. It was more along the line that he knew it was not outer space. After all, there were no stars here. And more importantly, he did not see anything resembling his home.

He sighed lightly as he let himself casually spin upside down. Actually, which was the correct orientation anyways. He felt no blood rushing to his brains like when he vaulted over the barriers erected by the enemy. His feet did not feel the hard ground that shook with every step he took. And in front of him, there was only darkness in every direction as opposed to enemies. After a moment, he let out a long sigh, perhaps the longest in his life. Well, perhaps it would have been the longest had he still been living he supposed.

He remembered it now. He remembered the soft smile he offered to his comrades and his commander as he stepped through the defensive barrier he had made for them. He remembered breaching the enemy line and slaughtering those damn bastards. He remembered the thrill of the battle before arriving at their commander, only to watch his shocked expression as he watched the world's finest assassin sacrifice himself for a cause he barely knew. Oh but it was a brilliant sacrifice.

Aterio smiled at the memory. The explosive magic that he had brought along would have only brought down the bastard's defensive barrier. But what he didn't expect was the sword that impaled him in the next moment. Granted, the explosion then broke Lancer's own barrier and killed him, but damn that felt good.

In fact, that whole battle felt good. For once in his life, something went right. He had no fear of death, no fear for anyone else, and more importantly, no limits.

He felt alive.

With every stroke of his blade, the blade sung to him. With every kill, he heard cheers behind him. And with his final strike, he saw what he desired the most. That the only people he ever cared about were safe. Safe from the brutes that he had personally cut down. The war was finally over, even though he couldn't be there to see it.

In that moment, Aterio was reminded of why he fought. He always remembered it all vividly of course. From the very first moment that things went to hell and he had to begin fighting for his life. But at that moment, he did not remember the suffering and the mindless killing. He was reminded of his youth, the innocent youth where he had been so young and so playful. He remembered the first time his comrades made him smile, a small smile that unlocked his heart. He remembered his first kiss, one that made him want to finally live for something more than himself.

Most importantly, he saw himself. A new man, one with a purpose. One with a fulfilled dream. One that gave his all to a cause that he truly believe in.

And so, Aterio faded into the darkness. After all, he had done everything he needed to do. With a smile on his lips, he replayed all these thoughts and memories over and over again in his mind even as he faded away. Soon, there was nothing left but a small speck of light in the infinite darkness. it was a speck of light that would shine to unveil the shroud that had surrounded the man that was once Aterio. For this had now become a star in the infinite galaxy, one that shone bright above the surface of the world that he once lived in.

The last light of a journey. But also, the beacon of a new beginning.

Each individual sound echoed through my mind, bringing to life the vivid image of hell surrounding me. Scattered bodies, pools of blood and a growing ache in my shoulder. All of it to exceed any nightmare I'd encountered before. The scream pierced through me again, and again. Eventually my name followed, and again that dull aching pulsed at my shoulder. This time working it's way down my arm, suddenly exploding in my stomach, forcing my eyes open. It was my wife who was screaming in reality, which explained why the sound was so horrific in my mind, and I shot up to aid her as best as possible. Though my attempts where halted as her flailing fist landed against my head a few solid times. She must have been the cause of the pain in my nightmare just as well, but I'd leave those thoughts to myself.

"The baby!?"

It took me a moment, but I finally caught on and manage to release myself from her sudden death grip. I'd never encountered such strength, it was almost frightening to think it came from her tiny frame, but these were details left for another time. I had no idea what to do, or what to grab. I could hear her screams still though, bouncing off the walls and following me wherever I tried to hide. In between her rage-filled shouts, she informed me of the bag that she prepared. Thankfully too, I wasn't any good with these things. If the look on my face didn't appear fearful just yet, it soon would.

The race to the hospital felt like forever, even if we only lived ten minutes away tops. Once there though, all I could think of were the screams that erupted from her in such a way. Each one shook me, raced through my blood and forced my heart to pump even faster than before. My nerves would eat away at me, the nurses and doctors trying to calm me as they forced me to take a seat outside the room. This was a hellish feeling, even after the many things I'd lived through, none of them took such a toll on me as this moment.

"Allister, mortals are not permitted in this realm," the heavy voice spoke, looming over a man in a threatening stance. Allister, the man just spoken to remained unphased by this news. It wasn't anything he hadn't heard before, but it wasn't the current point he was trying to make. Only a sigh occurred between the two, and Allister remained silent. Either holding his ground, or silently giving up. He lived in a world of pure darkness after all, where mortals only fell in their weakness and were often devoured by the darkness around them. They never survived, and that was the world Allister was used to. Until everything he knew was cast away by the faint glow she provided. In a world were evil had a form. Where disfigured bodies and lakes overfilled with blood where common place, she was still pure. Her radiant light demolished any trace of evil he could have once been, and now he stood before that evil being and requested a chance to save her.
"If your soul is revived, you would be born a child and your memories erased. While she would simply return to her world. Do you understand what you're asking of me," the voice boomed again, anger rising in his voice. Yet still Allister stood, unshook by the tone of this larger creature.
"I-" he hesitated. Finally his fist clenched and, trembled with uncertainty. This was all for her after all. She'd need an able body to guide her home once more, but Allister's soul would have to be approved just as well, and he'd lose her in the end. "Would she forget this world?"

There silence felt like ages, but even a creature known as the embodiment of evil could understand such a man's resolve had not fallen. Hesitation wasn't enough to form a conviction on the man, so there was only one option.

The screaming from her voice finally faded, and instead had been replaced by such an eerie silence that I felt myself tremble and my memory faded for a moment. I'd seen death after birth. I'd caused it numerous times myself, in a life other than this one, and I felt a sudden burning in the back of my eye. This feeling was new to me, but it built up no matter the fight I managed.

"I will grant you this request. You've served me well Allister, enjoy your new life." The creature vanished before Allister could even manage to release the breath he held. Before he could be seen falling to his knees, palms opened to greet the ground the landed against. He could see himself tremble now, watched his fingers agitate the dirt they shifted against, yet he felt nothing but joy. He'd loose his first love, but she'd be free of the hell he'd lived through. She'd return home and be where her light could shine freely. The souls of those he'd killed would fall behind him and he would live for only her, even when her memory was taken from him. He knew his soul would always seek out that light once again.

There passage was quick, his wit and strength guiding them to a place he'd never seen with his own eyes. Just at it's entrance, he'd freeze to look her features over once more.

Finally, a cry could be heard, voices building up in excitement before the doors finally swung open and they allowed me inside to see her once more. I heard them scream about the child being healthy and well. A little girl, who I knew from my first look at her would be as radiant as her mother.

"I won't forget you. No matter what deal you've made with that demon." The woman declared to Allister, her back turned to him in a fit. He knew she'd be angry with him once he explained the reality of the situation to her. Even if he felt his motive was justified, they would lose one another in this process. Fearing the words that she could utter to him, and even more fearful of their goodbye's to one another, he pushed her through while the silence gripped them. He was a warrior of sort, a demon that hunted for souls in that eternal darkness to devour whatever passed by him. She, was the light he never imagined, and holding his head high, he repeated his vow to seek her out once more in this new life.
But things on the other side weren't as he believed they'd be. She turned to him once more, tears ran down her cheeks and he braced himself for a scolding, ignoring the details of the moment. Instead, her arms were around him instantly, and her tears fell down his shoulders. "I told you I wouldn't forget. Live with me as you are." Her words made everyday after that moment almost heavenly. Even as nightmares of his past life plagued him, she was always there, as bright as the day they'd met.

Now I held this beautiful thing in my arms. I felt that burning sensation behind my eyes again, something coming up from deep inside me as I looked down on what perfection really meant. That creature I'd lived beside in pure darkness granted my wish, and even did one better. While my memories may plague me often, I couldn't be any happier with this chance....

"She smiled. Did you see it?! She smiled at me!"

The smell of dusty books, the muted environment, the almost tangible call of the text—this was bliss. Beatrix pushed open the door and stepped into the library with a delighted grin. She'd thought her companions choice to stay in the Hochel Fort while they plotted out their next course of action was a waste, but that opinion dissipated in an instant at the sight of the well-stocked, well-cared for library. Even if nothing else came of their stay here, she was bound to find some snippet of useful information on magic that she hadn't encountered before.

Hopefully.

The door closed with a soft click behind her, closing her in her own little haven. She padded quietly through the room to peer at various titles and run her fingers over dusty covers. Fueger's Theory of Chanting Mechanics, The History of Runes as told by Mantres, Advanced Application of Spell-Singing. Her delight ebbed with each familiar title that she read. A few variances, but this library appeared to have the same general collection as others she had visited. Before true disappointment could rise, she chided herself. "Seen them all yet, you haven't. Patience now." Her hope continued to dwindle, however, as she examined more shelves, although she gave pleased hums at the sight of a few particularly rare volumes. She'd seen them before, of course, but it spoke well of the library that they had been procured and gave her hope.

Her stomach rumbled its malcontent by the time she had finished combing the shelves. Having found only one volume with even remotely new information, her delight had transformed into resignation, though a quiet appreciation of her surroundings remained.

"At least the alternative theory on rune formation I found." With a sigh, she dropped down into the lone armchair in the library, tucked into a far corner. Her shoes she slipped off to tuck her feet underneath her, but she stopped as her foot brushed against a curious bump in the cushion of the chair. As she peered at the bulge, she realized that it was the corner of the book. Delight in her eyes, she wiggled the book out of its hiding place and let out a triumphant cry at the sight of the title.

The Curiosities of Unspoken Magic.

A new book! The hours spent combing the shelves suddenly seemed worth it. Beatrix settled into the chair with a happy sigh, opened the book, and sank into the bliss of a new tome.

My eyes drifted open as the sun was coming up. I was greeted by a lovely breeze coming in through the open window, carrying the scent of wildflowers and the coolness of the mountains under whose shadow my home stood. The space on the bed next to me was recently empty, the covers turned aside only enough to have allowed the previous occupant's escape without disturbing my slumber. I turned my head to look over at the window and there she was, standing behind the diaphanous curtains.

She was stretching in the light of the rising sun, her naked form glistening in the shining. I watched as every muscle in her body quivered in tense rapture before she relaxed back into an easy posture and lowered her arms. Instead of dropping them to her sides, she laid her hands on her own flesh.

I watched her move her hands over herself, the middle of her chest, the curves of her breasts, the flare of her hips. My eyes were captured by the pouting, little lips that peeked out from between her legs. Maybe it was a trick of the light, but I could have sworn the glisten was ever so slightly more emphasized there.

The path her hands took jarred a memory in me from the night before. She was tracing where I'd touched her, going over her memories in her mind behind closed eyes. Every subtle shift in her posture, each rippling of her muscles caught my eye, telling me the story of the love I'd made to her.

Then her hands were sliding up her neck and through her hair, her hips shifting from side to side, and I caught little side-views of her breasts as she twisted through a little belly-dance in the morning light.

I said nothing, made no sound. I was entranced by her, and the dream she was reliving. Something tipped her off, caught her attention, so her hands stopped. I could imagine her eyes snapping open, shooting to their corners. She rocked back one leg so she could shift on the other to look over her shoulder at me.

I met her eyes, gazing at her with quiet, smoldering hunger. I could feel my arousal straining under the covers, even though I'd rolled on to one side. The covers had fallen from my chest, so the breeze coming from the window and rushing over her skin blew over my bare flesh. A shudder rolled through me when I caught her scent.

As far as I was concerned, the rest of the world could burn.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom