Either Needed Endzeiten - Cold Blows the Northern Wind [Interest Check]

Currently reading:
Either Needed Endzeiten - Cold Blows the Northern Wind [Interest Check]

Aye, it's my turn, sorry fellas this last week whipped me (fuck working stainless steel, btw) and I got press-ganged into helping get the house ship-shape for company coming next weekend. IC writing has been a bit daunting to my imagination of late, but I do aim to get something together very soon. I apologize, and I do appreciate your patience. I'll likely start picking away on it tonight, hopefully to be done by Monday morning.

Also I adore background stuff and I would love to read anything you guys put together.

no worries or rush, writing can be difficult enough as it is sometimes with rl and responsibilities without feeling pressured too. im sure it's all excitement rather than impatience!

i work in seo so thankfully it's calmer now that the big sales period is over, but im still very much looking forward to a couple weeks off work over the holidays! hope you all are getting some decent rest too!

A beautiful post - now im gonna get started on mine.
EDIT:
Actually - going to wait for Romans post and everyone elses - mostly due to work IRL

Last edited:
(From the first post in the interest thread)

But the Long Night is only supposed to last for three days, and it has seemed to linger, has it not?

I almost forgot, are we in the middle of a long night right now? And that's why a trip to Bernholz is worth 40 marks? Or are we still in a normal day-night cycle? All this time I had been assuming there was daylight outside, but now I'm not sure, and I don't think it was explicitly stated IC.

Also before I have Lothar opine on the risk/reward balance...

"Forty marks for six volunteers, each. The Baron has immediate need of you."

But, forty sovereigns can go a long way…

Is it marks or sovereigns? Marks implies silver and sovereigns implies gold, in my mind, which would be what... 100-200 times more than silver? (Exchange rates keep changing) I assumed we were talking about silver, since if it were gold it would amount to more than a year's pay, depending how heavy (or debased) the coins are. But then again maybe a trip outdoors during a long night is worth a fistful of gold, if it's more equivalent to patrolling a highway in Afghanistan.

(A) Sovereign is a common slang term for the currency, a hold-over from the Averians, as whenever the coin was minted it bore the visage of the Emperor, now the King or Queen-Elect. Marks are the official name. Also because I just want more ways to refer to coin and I always liked the term lol

The Long Night isn't here yet, but it is on the way, and the Baron has tired of waiting for word from Bernholz, as there has been none for some two weeks, and typically the Abbot - or one of his people - comes to Sagard to share news and updates. The Baron no longer feels comfortable with waiting any longer, especially with the Long Night on its way. The Baron is hoping they can make their way there, ascertain the situation, and return before it falls - and in truth there is enough time. The problem is there are complications.

And honestly I hadn't much considered whether it was gold or silver. We can shift it either way as needed. I know my Gröschen I have is absolutely wafer thin, so one could likely be a cheapskate if no official standard of weight is already agreed upon but, for the ease of the story, we can roll with silver.

But you, and Lothar, are entirely right, it is too much money for such a supposed milk run, which should say something about what Constanze expects.That, or she is just a illegitimate noble who has never had to count coin to make ends meet, and she is a bit out of touch.

That, or she is just a illegitimate noble who has never had to count coin to make ends meet, and she is a bit out of touch.

Which is bullshit since she grew up among mercenaries and spent years brokering contracts for the Baron. I bet she knows exactly how much things cost. But considering this is the off season with a long night approaching, it's like trying to hire a union plumber on Dec 24th, with an ice storm warning in effect. Good fucking luck if you're not prepared to put his kids through college.

Also I recall the D&D gold coin is likely based on the Byzantine solidus, which is absolutely tiny (4.5g) and was debased during the 11th century from 7/8 purity down to 1/3 purity (the other original gp could have been the Florin, at 3.5g). So it might very well be 40 gold coins but they're not worth much more than a pure silver coin from 500 years ago would be.

Edit: By the way, it did not escape my notice that the 11th century is also the period of time when Harald Hardrada was tearing it up as a Varangian guard. I can only assume it played out something like:
The Emperor: "These Varangians are fucking awesome! Pay them whatever they want!"
Some norseman returning to scandinavia: "Guys guys... there's a city called Miklagaard where they shit gold"
The Emperor a generation later: "We ummm... actually don't have enough gold to pay all these vikings my father hired" (Especially after that one asshole robbed us blind so he could impress some Kievan princess)

Harald returns to Kiev with so much gold in his boat that it's inches away from sinking.
Princess: "Hmmm..... I'll allow it" (trying to mask the dollar signs in her eyes)

Last edited:
Which is bullshit since she grew up among mercenaries and spent years brokering contracts for the Baron. I bet she knows exactly how much things cost. But considering this is the off season with a long night approaching, it's like trying to hire a union plumber on Dec 24th, with an ice storm warning in effect. Good fucking luck if you're not prepared to put his kids through college.

Until she was twelve or so, but every time she has ever had to handle money in her adult life she's done it away from the sellswords and mercenary companies of her youth, with the purse of Ansbach purchased with her sister's betrothal to the Duke. She may have some frame of reference since returning to the north on her own, but for someone who can provide much of what she needs herself, money and its intricacies can escape her.

And exactly - desperate times means desperate pay.

Also I recall the D&D gold coin is likely based on the Byzantine solidus, which is absolutely tiny (4.5g) and was debased during the 11th century from 7/8 purity down to 1/3 purity (the other original gp could have been the Florin, at 3.5g). So it might very well be 40 gold coins but they're not worth much more than a pure silver coin from 500 years ago would be.

I need to sit down and do some genuine reading on currency and its purity. Economics of the Ostland and its realms may be my next focus for study and development. I know there's likely some folks out there shaving the edges/rims of coin for some extra gold and silver, so not all coinage is truly of the same worth anymore.

Edit: By the way, it did not escape my notice that the 11th century is also the period of time when Harald Hardrada was tearing it up as a Varangian guard. I can only assume it played out something like:
The Emperor: "These Varangians are fucking awesome! Pay them whatever they want!"
Some norseman returning to scandinavia: "Guys guys... there's a city called Miklagaard where they shit gold"
The Emperor a generation later: "We ummm... actually don't have enough gold to pay all these vikings my father hired" (Especially after that one asshole robbed us blind so he could impress some Kievan princess)

Harald returns to Kiev with so much gold in his boat that it's inches away from sinking.
Princess: "Hmmm..... I'll allow it" (trying to mask the dollar signs in her eyes)

The Varangians are an absolute mood and honestly I am tempted to lift that story for some scenes down the road lmao

I might suggest that the mark is a continuation of the original Averian sovereign, except that the old sovereign was so debased and had so little gold in it by the time of the Litthauf reforms that they decided to issue the mark as a replacement, minted in silver instead of gold. This seems to be what the Byzantines did with their hyperpyron.

According to wikipedia, the use of 'mark' for currency derives from 11th century Cologne/Koln, where it meant a standard unit of weight (roughly half a pound), against which to measure various coinage from different principalities. And then in the 16th century it was used as the name for actual silver coins. So we could do a similar history, where after the fracturing of the Averian Eagle, each province had its own economy, and then Litthauf had to start issuing standardized measurements for managing exchange rates, and then eventually they put it all under a single currency (just like with the Euro) as Litthauf became more powerful and was able to centralize everything under its control (just like how Germany more or less runs the EU now). Now under MMT (Maian Monetary Theory), the mark is worth as much as the bean counters in Litthauf say it's worth, and there may come a time when you need wheelbarrows full of them to buy bread.

Everyone have a happy Long Night on Earth tonight ^_^

If you live in the northern hemisphere, that is. Otherwise it's a Short Night.

to you toooo! i love the dark nights but im keen to see the sun again xD

Every time I happen to be awake and walking around when the sun rises, I think of the ending scene in Collateral.

Tom Cruise: "Guy gets on the MTA here in LA... dies... think anyone'll notice?" *dies*

Jamie Foxx and Jada Pinkett-Smith get up and walk out of the subway station as the sky is turning from black to blue, and this music plays:

It's like Horus just battled with Set and lost an eye but came out of it to rise again.

not sure where we should be chatting but i've finished work now for a wonderful two week break, so i'll get caught up as soon as i can as i think i'm next!

Short Story Kalegen -

The Raven and the Hawk.

"You're getting slower old man," The taunt didnt sting, or draw what Nathaniel wanted out from the man who stood opposite him along the banks of the river Forks, its cool running water was deep and the stones beneath worn smooth it its depths. There had been a nearby bridge once, now merely cobblestones and ruins remained. Here on the banks they had cornered one of the few last dark steel Ravens attempting to flee. They didnt want the wittnesses of House Denmar not paying for debts to the warband and instead, ensured that they died in the battle or died at their hands.

Eight Darksteel Raven feathers hung from the mans belt like trophies. Eight damascus steel wings that glinted in the light - eight souls cut short by his own blade and now the former commander stood - his was the feather that would be added to his collection. Kalegen and others had been forced to flee the battlefield - pursued by those who had formerly been allies and had been held back from the counter charge leaving the Ravens flanked and outnumbered. Over half an hour they had held, waiting only to see the calvary waiting as they were cut down and as they eventually broke - the horses were set upon them and the enemy.

Each man here was dressed in platemail, tabards over their house and gilded helm. Even Nathaniel, dressed in warplate knew well. A large long bow in his hoses saddle and arrows, what better than to hunt the Dark Steel Ravens with. He had plans to make a necklace out of it, like a hunter hanging trophies on a wall. Nathaniel had never liked Kalegen, the man was too quiet and only vocal when time needed it. Respected by his men and also knowing each of those under his command, the fact that they had held out this long was thanks to Kalegens quick thinking. Still, Kalegen wasnt wearing steel armour, merely mail of some other foreign kind and a weapon unfit to get past its defences. Eight men had come with him for this hunt and now they had him cornered.

Not only was he not of this land - he was different from those here and that - especially brought out his ire and disgust for something that looked Elizabethian and was far removed from it. "You are full of your arrogance that it suffocates what little witt you have left." Came Kalegens retort. His voice flat and hoarse. Lights danced in his vision, dizziness and blurred vision were the brief signs of something of his gift that had been used a touch too much and it caused him to blind frequently to try and clear his vision. But what better than going out and taking many with him, gods be damned, they had done nothing for him and he would not dare pray for their mercy. Lowering his blade bringing the blade to a low guard at his left- the remaining eight soldiers had formed a half circle and had cornered him near a embankment of the river - while he'd been able to cross easily alone with a small swim - it was almost ankle deep here and perfect for what he needed. These men were heavily armoured - so he moved feeling the icy cold water sink into his boots bringing his focus back and distract him from the ache growing behind his eyes. Like wolves seeking a worn down deer - they followed eager for blood and percieved victory. Here there was no highground.

"What name is Kalegen anyway, for someone who is a commander of now a warband of dead men. Still, would be a great story to tell to a whore I have to warm my bed."
The first to attack wasn't Nathaniel - he waited from above - watching his men do the work, but the first came in, stumbling over a unseen rock beneath the water and in those precious moments he made his move, taking the first of the wolves as his blade cut up and through the mans sword arm above the elbow in a sweeping motion and up through the mans neck. Those dark waters ran red and once more his vision was clouded by a cascading waterfall of stars and dancing lights. Another came in and muscle memory kicking in as the lights passed - taking another blade, capturing it with a locked blade and pivoting throwing him into the water, observing of despite being only a bit deep, the man floundered and began to drown. Now the others didnt wait and advanced. They weren't going to wait for one at a time to go down, as they moved to surround them the terrain was at their disadvantage and he kept moving back, deeper and despite wearing less armour - noticing well as their weight made them unsteady. So some became smart - trying to push him to shore - a mistake others paid dearly for.

A number of lucky cuts had already bitten deep into his left forarm below the elbow, rendering it useless - his fingers limp until he could see a healer to tend to the wound. His fingers felt taught, unable to be flexed into an open palm. No worry, for now he had a fist lockled that couldnt or wouldnt come undone. Of Eight men who had come with Nathaniel, three were dead, two were sporting grevious wounds either to one of their legs and Nathaniel was growing more and more enraged that the numbers were not working in his favor - but the cold was now starting to seep into Kalegens bones - making him indeed slower. "How many bodies are going to be at your feet before you face me Nathaniel, you said I was slow - but I wonder how you are going to explain how eight men died under your command against one." Kalegens smile was blood stained, as another advanced the water made the man slower and he punished the foe for it. A lucky strike that went between the mans armour at the middle and his tasset armour as he moved further up the bank but used the nearby tree as a way to defend and block one side, effectivly disembowling the man. Over the mans wails the other wolves broke, giving up the attack - both frustrated fron Nathaniels berrating and the loss of morale, as a mercy Kalegen ended the one he'd disembowled. Nathaniel was who he was after, these were just men under his command.

"Just you and me now, going to get from your horse?" Nathaniel did but took with him his bow, notching an arrow.

Nathaniel was a man who had short black ashen hair, pale skin, sharp green eyes and angled features - some would call handsome - while the man was his nature was that of someone of narcisitic behaviours much like those who had once enslaved his people. Kalegen was indeed getting slower - small cramps niggled at his shoulders - a nausia caused what stamina he had to flounder and breath come in hoarse rasps. There had been a reason why - what better than to kill a Raven who was not fresh and ready. Instead of drawing a sword, the man took up a long bow. "At this range, what better than to kill a Raven with a bow." As the man let loose the arrow time slowed to an almost nightmarish crawl, the arrow was comming too fast and he hadnt the strength or speed to block it, so he spun from the arrow, feeling its head cut up along his shoulder of his good arm as it narrowly missed causing a hiss of pain and a hot sensation as blood began to dribble down along his arm.

Nathaniels expressure turned from annoyed to confused - then to enraged as each arrow merely cut but missed its mark. Each time Kalegen advanced, it was harder and harder to dodge the arrow in flight. Ducking - nose bleeding and eyes bloodshot as he closed the distance - that blade ignighted into white flame momentarily blinding him and what Nathaniel saw like a spear cut through his bravery and deep into his heart. The man was deathly pale, his veins showing against his skin and eyes as bloodshot as many man from a strangling. He didnt feel the blade cut up and through his breastplate as if it were made of butter, only the thunderclap of sudden ringing in his ears and an expression of confusion as the man moved past, took three steps then convulsed before rolling into the river to be carried down stream.For him, he fell backwards, not feeling his legs as his body came apart or the sound of sizzling skin only the numbing sensation of shock.

"The fuck." Were his last dying words. With no one else to hear them - except the carrion birds overhead. Nathaniel the Hawk died. [/ISPOILER]

Last edited:
Apologies for the scarceness over the holiday weekend all - between family obligations, a headcold I picked up from the wife, and my own (admittedly out of control) submission for this month's challenge took a lot of my attention, but I aim to get caught up properly over the next couple of days.

Eagerly looking forward to reading the Raven and the Hawk @Keillen !

Alright lads, ding in the thread - I hope it's a good one.

Biffy is coming along with his Osiruk, who I'm wanting to give another round or two to introduce himself in the alehouse but, if circumstances don't permit, we can bring him in when we meet with the Baron. I just don't aim for us to get trapped indefinitely in the tavern.

Also, @Keillen I love it - I'm eager to see if we'll get some more glimpses of the DSRs!

The story is well timed. Baltimore played Atlanta last week. I took the Ravens on a 7.5 spread, and they won by 8 points. Good times all around.

Oh wait, the Atlanta Hawks is basketball isn't it? Falcons... that's it.

Also, it makes sense that an Osiruk would go directly to the Baron instead of hanging out in some dirty tavern. "A touch of respectability", you might call the attribute of his that grants him private access to a baron.

Last edited:
hope you're all doing well. ive just come back from an unexpected break due to rl shit to put it mildly, a little worried otto's not been on either - i hope he's alright.

Yeah, he sort of dropped off without warning. Don't know what happened.

Back
Top Bottom