Staff member
Administrator
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 4:18 PM
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello Again Sanctum Dwellers!!

We have an official date for the Sanctum 2.0 Update. It will take place next week on Friday, May 1st. The exact start time is not certain yet. We will, however, be sending out alerts well in advance for anyone online when we are due to start. I will recommend that if you have any posts that are in progress on the night of April 30th, you post them early.

Please remember, EVERYTHING posted in the forums at the time of the update will be there when we come back online.

Other important information:

1. In order to upgrade, we will need to uninstall all 3rd party add-ons. Some we plan to leave until the installation starts, but we will begin the process of uninstalling some non-essential add-ons over the course of the next week in order to make the update process faster. So please, do not panic if some features are turned off.

2. Most of these features will be coming back in the weeks following the update. We are, however, removing some. In particular, the Blogs add-on has not been updated and so we are moving to a new system. A brand new Blog Forum can be found here. This forum will replace our add-on. Anyone who still has work they want to save in a blog, please transfer it to the new forum, as only posts in the forum will be saved.

3. During the downtime, @Mia is planning to run a Sanctum Movie Marathon (which includes a live chat) and post updates on social media. She will be posting the movie line-up soon. For now, the links to the room for the movies and our social media will be posted below:

Movie room (note, requires a Kast account. We recommend joining ahead of time so you can be approved): Join InnerSanctum Cinema on Kast

Twitter: The Inner Sanctum (@SanctumStaff) | Twitter

Facebook: The Inner Sanctum: A Writing And Roleplaying Community

For information on the update itself, please see our original announcement thread.

Here's the plan:

Friday the 1st of May, sometime in the evening (I will give you plenty of notices) a friend and I will sit together and go ahead.

1. The site will display a notice that it's in maintenance and won't be accessible. - this is to ensure we can have a good back up copy and no content will be lost in the limbo during the transition. There will be a twitter link, so you can watch for updates and what's going on. There will also be some entertainment lined up.
2. Once we have the back up, we will start working on the update
- Everything needs to be uninstalled and XenForo has to be stripped to it's basic. Unfortunately, this takes time (thus some functions will disappear before that)
- We will prepare the server so it can handle the new software.
3. The update will begin. Now, the site may disappear and this is normal. You may get a server error when you try to log in.
4. Once it's all done, we'll reopen the site and users will be able to log back in. However it will have no addons and they will start popping back - Chat, covers, etc.

The estimated downtime is about 6 hours, it may take less, it may take more, but everything will be published on Twitter.

Now... if things go South somewhere... Remember that back up we made in the beginning? Yes. That's what it's for.
I can assure you that no content will be lost, no matter what happens. Except for the Blogs.

BLOGS WILL BE LOST! Please, save yours now and have them ready for the new place.

I do apologize for the alerts.

We are now less than 24 hours away from a major, and I mean MAJOR software upgrade. Much has been done in the background, without affecting any users (yet), but I can assure you, all staff has been working on full steam to prepare for the big day.

The shut down is planned from 3PM London time. It may happen a bit later, but NOT a bit earlier, so please save your work if you are in the middle of posting something at the time. I will, of course, alert you again an hour before the planned shut down and probably will be in chat till the very last second, so stay tuned.

Please follow our Twitter and/or Facebook as updates on "How's it going" will be posted there. Don't forget about the film night.

Another reminder, that Blogs will be obliterated, so if you haven't saved your work yet, and want to do so - do it now.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you all for the patience, while we do this.

From our brief testing, it's a vast improvement. 2.1 is A LOT more focused on mobile support than 1.5... it should be smoother and have functionalities built specifically for mobile

Yes, London England. Greenwich Mean Time

Just a quick question. Is the website going to be basically shut down except for the movie until the update is done?

The site is going to be completely closed. We watch the movies via an off-site service called Kast, which you can access here: Join InnerSanctum Cinema on Kast

Which also allows us a place to give live updates during the installation. In order to do the installation, the site has to be closed, as any data that got added during the process if it was open might get lost.

Back
Top Bottom