All [Signups & OOC] American Warlords - Post-Nuclear Grand Scale RP

Currently reading:
All [Signups & OOC] American Warlords - Post-Nuclear Grand Scale RP

In addition, I will repeat this and add this to the top post, but this will likely be a heavier RP. Expect some blood and guts, some brutality, lots of swearing and violence, and uncomfortable subjects—inside the rules, of course, and nothing egregious, but still.
I presume that means our characters might find themselves in NSFW scenarios?

In terms of factions, I could see there heing something akin to the Brotherhood of Steel running around that are trying to hoard technology. Maybe with a religious edge in the atyle of a Canticle for Leibowitz.

I presume that means our characters might find themselves in NSFW scenarios?

In terms of factions, I could see there heing something akin to the Brotherhood of Steel running around that are trying to hoard technology. Maybe with a religious edge in the atyle of a Canticle for Leibowitz.
Well, it depends on what you mean by NSFW. There's definitely going to be some pretty heavy violence with guns, explosions, and hand-to-hand, intense combat, probably some torture, drug use, prejudice (against mutants and foreigners), some gore, etc., which your characters will definitely run into and which might not be safe to read on a family or work computer.
If you're referring to NSFW as sexual content, well, that depends on everyone's comfort levels, but I was planning on leaving it at mildly suggestive material for fun. For not-fun situations, it would be very careful mention of sexual assault, with the proper care and warning and ONLY if it's plot-important for NPCs. If people wanted to have "fade-to-black" scenes or something more heavy with their own characters we can discuss that—I'm no prude, but it's important to me that everyone is comfortable. Either way I do not plan on making sexual material important for characters to deal with if they don't want to. This is definitely going to be Poe's Corner material at a minimum.

As for factions, it has been only less than ten years since the war started, so I'm not sure there would be militant preservationist orders out yet. However, for a number of reasons, I was thinking of boosting the time between story start and the bombs falling to 19, 29, or even 39 years, in which case something like that might make sense—what do you think?

Well, it depends on what you mean by NSFW. There's definitely going to be some pretty heavy violence with guns, explosions, and hand-to-hand, intense combat, probably some torture, drug use, prejudice (against mutants and foreigners), some gore, etc., which your characters will definitely run into and which might not be safe to read on a family or work computer.
If you're referring to NSFW as sexual content, well, that depends on everyone's comfort levels, but I was planning on leaving it at mildly suggestive material for fun. For not-fun situations, it would be very careful mention of sexual assault, with the proper care and warning and ONLY if it's plot-important for NPCs. If people wanted to have "fade-to-black" scenes or something more heavy with their own characters we can discuss that—I'm no prude, but it's important to me that everyone is comfortable. Either way I do not plan on making sexual material important for characters to deal with if they don't want to. This is definitely going to be Poe's Corner material at a minimum.

As for factions, it has been only less than ten years since the war started, so I'm not sure there would be militant preservationist orders out yet. However, for a number of reasons, I was thinking of boosting the time between story start and the bombs falling to 19, 29, or even 39 years, in which case something like that might make sense—what do you think?
I feel like this last post may have implied something that I didn't mean to—it's not going to be just a constant Warhammer 40K style blood n' bullets festival. There will be plenty of chill and hopeful scenes, or tense moments of intrigue and mystery without any guns being drawn, even a fair bit of (dark) comedy and horror. But, that being said… "warlords" is in the name lol

I think the length of time after the bombs fell should depend on people's characters. Like, if everyone is playing a concept that only really works for someone raised before the bombs fell and they don't want their character to be old as balls, then it would need to not be long after WW3. On the other hand I personally would prefer about 29 years or so, so there's been enough time for a new generation to arise ans what's left of humanity to really start remoulding itself into something recognisable as a post-apocalyptic society.

Depends on what everyone else thinks, though.

I think the length of time after the bombs fell should depend on people's characters. Like, if everyone is playing a concept that only really works for someone raised before the bombs fell and they don't want their character to be old as balls, then it would need to not be long after WW3. On the other hand I personally would prefer about 29 years or so, so there's been enough time for a new generation to arise ans what's left of humanity to really start remoulding itself into something recognisable as a post-apocalyptic society.

Depends on what everyone else thinks, though.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. It's hard to balance the desire for a wide variety of pre-war characters being there while also allowing for plenty of time for the world to change—9 years isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. 29 years might be a good balance.

Worst case scenario, if someone wants to have a pre-war personality, we can assert that your astronaut wasn't the only one to get the longevity treatments haha

my brain is currently vibrating in my skull from caffeine, nicotine, and the steroids and antihistamines i am taking for an ear infection— this lore writing and character app setup will be either really great, really bad, or not at all

stay tuned :)

my brain is currently vibrating in my skull from caffeine, nicotine, and the steroids and antihistamines i am taking for an ear infection— this lore writing and character app setup will be either really great, really bad, or not at all

stay tuned :)

I'll try and have something tomorrow if I'm feeling better

Just posted a ton of lore 😫 there's more where that came from though

Got room for....Tyler

Post in thread 'Nyx's Suspects.' Character(s) - Nyx's Suspects. ??

The gear listed was cold weather gear for a sudden ice age. But wld be easy enough to adapt.
Obviously some adjustments to her history due to your timeline, but I think I have an answer to that.

Having said all this if military style augments were a thing yet...
rsz_concept-art-by-eve9.jpg
[\Spoiler]
Would be my first choice...

First name: Eve
Surname: Morallis
Nicknames: n/a
Alignment: Neutral
Race: Augmented Human
Marital Status: Single
Role: Ex military AWOL.

[PHYSICAL]
Voice: Desisive, unaccented, cynical, caustic
Eyes: Hazel
Complexion: Caucasion medium
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 125lbs, closer to 165 due to her augments.
Build: Fit, lean extremely toned.
Hair: long straight auburn.
Tattoos/markings:
Surgery scarring around her augs. Shrapnel scarring mid and lower torso.
[MENTAL]
Demeanor: Cautious. Cool, distant. Can be volatile
Hopes: To eventually lose the tail that's been hounding her for over a year.
Fears: Getting caught and executed. E
Dislikes: enclosed spaces and crow)h .

[GEAR]

Optic implants allow for viewing in several different spectrums. They are also linked to her touch reception on her right hand.
Cochlear implants - Allows for universal translation, enhanced hearing, private channel connection. Triangulate with her optics to pinpoint noises within 10inches.

Armour - (wip)

[WEAPONS]
Augs. Her right arm was replaced from the shoulder. Has a the ability to apply 600lbs psi per digit. Also a 7 inch 4sided spike that can push out from her wrist at around 1500lbs psi. She can also punch with Roughly the same amount of force.

Both legs have been replaced at the knee, and whilst they hold know weapons, the hydraulics allow for a massive acceleration and push off, which often allows for her to use her enemies movements against them taking them with her.

She has a standard military issue plasma side arm and a Bush rifle, but she prefers CQC where she has the advantage.

[STRENGTHS]
Survivalist
Agility
Speed
Strength
Highly Intuitive/Expert cold reader. Partly due to her Optic implants that relates things like temp. Heart rate, perspiration rate. Eric.

[WEAKNESSES]
Low Endurance
Berserk- Can suffer blood lust induced fugue states where she can't remember what has,happened.
Addiction - She has become a drug addict due to managing the pain of her Augs, and the trauma she went through in her past.
Cyberpsychosis.- She suffers occasional bouts of psychothapy due to the extensive and intrusive nature of her Augs.

[SKILLS]
Pilot.
Magpie.- She can spot potentially valuable items in a brief look around. Has an excellent instinct

[FAMILY]

Unknown raised in the military,

[BACKGROUND]
Raised in a Military compound from 6 months old. Echo knew nothing other than life.
Rising through the ranks to 1st Lieutenant she had a squad of 22 12-cadets and 10 field before an incident sent her AWOL. [\spoiler]

Last edited:
thank you for making my character app template for me I mean welcome! 😁

Tyler is… well, she's a bit of an enigma? Not that it's a bad thing, I'm just not sure what to make of her just with the app lol. I could be missing something, but it seems like she would fit in just fine!

As for Echo, well, I like her deal, but for the Warlords world some of her stuff is just a little bit too advanced for the setting.
-I'll allow the hearing enhancements, and the enhanced eyes should work so long as it doesn't entail like X-ray vision or being able to see and decode communication waves.
-The heart rate/bio monitor thing needs to be realistic—it can be a useful piece of medicine but it shouldn't act like a built in resurrection device or something.
-The 1500lbs of power-limb force needs to be reduced to 750lbs maximum,
-Unfortunately there's no such thing as a "plasma pistol" in this setting, but she can have a DEWie/laser gun provided it follows the rules under Technology.
-Also, energy consumption should play a role in her augments: surely there's some kind of motor or batteries involved.
She is a little OP—if she works, I'll be compensating by having tougher things come her way.

as for the winter gear, don't worry about that—you will be dealing with temperature extremes so having it would be useful.

Reactions: Nyx
NAME: Sarah Jacqueline Chalmer

SPECIES: Human

WEIGHT & HEIGHT: 59kg/9st, 5'6"/168cm

APPEARANCE:
209cb3da478a4ea386006a209fc17fb0.png

ABILITIES & SKILLS: Holds a PHD in Mechanical Engineering and a Masters in Computer sciences, Astronaut training, some first aid. Speaks both English and French fluently.

ALLEGIANCES: None so far

BIOGRAPHY: Child of a French father and English mother, a mathematics and scientific prodigy as a child who joined the ESA's Project Argo as soon as she was eligible. She had spent the intervening time between the present and a few years before WW3 on a deep space mission, riding out the intervening years in a medically induced coma that slowed her metabolism to a crawl and reduced her body temperature to a deathly chill, slowing down her aging so that although she had been in space for over three decades she has aged only a few years.

The Argo spacecraft returned to Earth with the intention of landing the crew module close to mission headquarters in France, but on approach the crew discovered that Earth's near orbit had been turned into a death zone of high-speed shrapnel by the aftermath of the war. Although the Argo was equipped with heavy hull plating to survive the strong radiation environments surrounding the outer planets, it still took heavy damage and the crew module fell to Earth off-course, landing somewhere in the middle of the American wastelands.

Although the Argo was equipped with rotational gravity and the crew took muscle stimulants to counter the effects of microgravity, they were still physically weak when they crawled out of the capsule and found themselves in the middle of a post-apocalyptic nightmare. It didn't take long before they were set upon by raiders who had seen their crew module fall from the sky and hoped there would be some good salvage. Whilst the rest of the crew tried to fight them off Sarah did her best to run and hide, watching them get cut down where they stood by gunfire. She didn't get far before she was found and captured, although the raiders didn't kill her; realising that she had literally fallen from space, they hoped such a rare specimen would fetch a good price at the slave market.

Last edited:
thank you for making my character app template for me I mean welcome! 😁

Tyler is… well, she's a bit of an enigma? Not that it's a bad thing, I'm just not sure what to make of her just with the app lol. I could be missing something, but it seems like she would fit in just fine!

As for Echo, well, I like her deal, but for the Warlords world some of her stuff is just a little bit too advanced for the setting.
-I'll allow the hearing enhancements, and the enhanced eyes should work so long as it doesn't entail like X-ray vision or being able to see and decode communication waves.
-The heart rate/bio monitor thing needs to be realistic—it can be a useful piece of medicine but it shouldn't act like a built in resurrection device or something.
-The 1500lbs of power-limb force needs to be reduced to 750lbs maximum,
-Unfortunately there's no such thing as a "plasma pistol" in this setting, but she can have a DEWie/laser gun provided it follows the rules under Technology.
-Also, energy consumption should play a role in her augments: surely there's some kind of motor or batteries involved.
She is a little OP—if she works, I'll be compensating by having tougher things come her way.

as for the winter gear, don't worry about that—you will be dealing with temperature extremes so having it would be useful.
Well I needed to talk to you about Tyler, before bringing up her history...thing is originally she was in REME's so Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers ... so they build your bridges , keep your vehicles running but they are also bomb squad . Which was her . Thing is her service timeline might not work with what's going on. So her age, taken away from how long things have been shit...means it's likely REMEs would not even have been a thing.

As for eve her write up is for something completely different.
So for this I would strip her down to just her prosthetics with the bonuses for hydraulics.

Everything else would be gone . But she would still have the negatives of having that much alteration work done so the drug use and the psychological drawbacks...minus the beserk because she doesn't have as many brain implants, just the neural wetware to control the legs and arms.

There's actually alot more Tyler could bring to the table than Eve overall IF we can find away to make a comparable history.
Honestly imma easy either way.

If we are finding a female heavy field I can also switch Tyler to Male just cos it's nice to have a bit of a balance.

Last edited:
Well I needed to talk to you about Tyler, before bringing up her history...thing is originally she was in REME's so Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers ... so they build your bridges , keep your vehicles running but they are also bomb squad . Which was her . Thing is her service timeline might not work with what's going on. So her age, taken away from how long things have been shit...means it's likely REMEs would not even have been a thing.

As for eve her write up is for something completely different.
So for this I would strip her down to just her prosthetics with the bonuses for hydraulics.

Everything else would be gone . But she would still have the negatives of having that much alteration work done so the drug use and the psychological drawbacks...minus the beserk because she doesn't have as many brain implants, just the neural wetware to control the legs and arms.

There's actually alot more Tyler could bring to the table than Eve overall IF we can find away to make a comparable history.
Honestly imma easy either way.

If we are finding a female heavy field I can also switch Tyler to Male just cos it's nice to have a bit of a balance.
I don't mind a female heavy field at all, I kinda think it's fun, unusual for the post apocalypse—I can make up plenty of male NPCs regardless if need be.

Well, there's a couple of ways around this—either we can have a similar astronaut solution where due to circumstances you wound up sleeping through the apocalypse after you got your REME training, OR we can have her as from an engineering team from a bunker or military group or town with similar training. Up to you though.

Ahh, gotcha. I think that would be a good compromise. Powered prosthetics are definitely well within tech constraints, and scrapping berserk is fine with me for scrapping the ears and eyes.

I will be talking about mutants so stay turned because I think you might be interested, but I think this is good for now!

Last edited:
I should get around to actually posting a character.

Sarah Jacqueline Chalmer

209cb3da478a4ea386006a209fc17fb0.png

Nationality: Dual French-English
Employment: ESA Astronaut
Education: Holds a PHD in Mechanical Engineering and a Masters in Computer sciences, Astronaut training, some first aid. Speaks both English and French fluently.

Background: Child of a French father and English mother, a mathematics and scientific prodigy as a child who joined the ESA's Project Argo as soon as she was eligible. She had spent the intervening time between the present and a few years before WW3 on a deep space mission, riding out the intervening years in a medically induced coma that slowed her metabolism to a crawl and reduced her body temperature to a deathly chill, slowing down her aging so that although she had been in space for over three decades she has aged only a few years.

The Argo spacecraft returned to Earth with the intention of landing the crew module close to mission headquarters in France, but on approach the crew discovered that Earth's near orbit had been turned into a death zone of high-speed shrapnel by the aftermath of the war. Although the Argo was equipped with heavy hull plating to survive the strong radiation environments surrounding the outer planets, it still took heavy damage and the crew module fell to Earth off-course, landing somewhere in the middle of the American wastelands.

Although the Argo was equipped with rotational gravity and the crew took muscle stimulants to counter the effects of microgravity, they were still physically weak when they crawled out of the capsule and found themselves in the middle of a post-apocalyptic nightmare. It didn't take long before they were set upon by raiders who had seen their crew module fall from the sky and hoped there would be some good salvage. Whilst the rest of the crew tried to fight them off Sarah did her best to run and hide, watching them get cut down where they stood by gunfire. She didn't get far before she was found and captured, although the raiders didn't kill her; realising that she had literally fallen from space, they hoped such a rare specimen would fetch a good price at the slave market.
Welcome to the fields of fire, Dr. Chalmer. I'm sorry if the stars are a little dimmer down here. Fully accepted.

Last edited:
Posted a new lore section about mutants.

Politics? In MY exploration of violence and social dysfunction in a future America? It's more likely than you think! 😆

If you plan on having your character be a mutant, or otherwise be heavily involved with mutants before the initial posting, let me know—doing that is totally cool, encouraged even, I just want to make sure everything is balanced and lore-friendly.

Expect a first post this weekend, or on next Wednesday if we get additional interest.

I think we only have two characters at the moment?

Hey there folks—some housekeeping notes. I didn't forget about y'all, don't worry!

~This thread is going to remain the OOC and character application thread for the story, at least for the time being. It's better for visibility and I don't want everyone to have to port their stuff elsewhere least of all me.

+The IC thread is going to go into Poe's Corner, ETA Wednesday at the latest. I don't think this will be a problem, but it may limit some descriptive content if you planned on lovingly describing any potential carnage.

+I may have implied this earlier but now I am going to make it clear: this RP is going to be always open, and multiple characters are welcome.

~Last but not least, I've been mulling this over, and I have come to a decision: there may be player character deaths. Obviously I will give you all some pretty heavy plot armor—none of you will die of starvation or normal ambient radiation/disease, for instance—but the armor can and may be breached. You will get plenty of fair IC and OOC warning and we can work on it, but keep it in mind: you have been warned.

That's all for now! Please send any comments or questions. In the meantime, I'll have everything prepped so we can begin the story soon.

And we're off to the races!

I lied - I decided after writing post #1 that unfortunately we will have to relegate this to the Torture Chamber so I wouldn't accidentally get myself ban-hammered.

Good news though: now it can be as dark as you want! 😆

The link is here, and is also found on the first post on this here thread: https://writerssanctum.com/threads/...-american-warlords-in-character-thread.35337/

addendum:
im not super happy about the torture chamber thing since i know it will turn some folks off who otherwise might be into this, but a bunch of folks who know better than i do advised me to take it there just in case.

gore is gore, after all—even if it's the gore of the single most despicable character i've ever written. see you in hell, Slaver 😤💥

also, pour one out for our fallen comrade, the Folding Chair. gone, but never forgotten… 🪑 🇺🇸 🫡

Last edited:
  • Haha
Back
Top Bottom