Both Needed The End of All Things (Medieval Dark Fantasy)(Temp Closed)

Currently reading:
Both Needed The End of All Things (Medieval Dark Fantasy)(Temp Closed)

Rules Check
  1. Confirmed
Pairings
  1. Any (Groups)
Content Warning
  1. Gore
  2. Graphic Violence
  3. Substance Abuse
  4. Narrative Bigotry
  5. Sensitive Topics
Genre Preferences
  1. Low Fantasy
  2. Dystopian
  3. Medieval
Open to Solicitation For
Only Ideas In This Thread
Local time
Today 7:26 AM
Messages
159
Age
36
Pronouns
He
The End of All Things

(Some reference images are AI generated using Gemini. Sorry if that upsets you. All writing is 100% done by my hand.)

The End of All Things Setting & Lore
OOC DISCUSSION
CAST SECTION
Post Collaboration Thread

Finished In-Character Thread

Minding my own business
Knock at the door, who is it?
Be right there, one minute
Gotta get up and go get it
Got white hair, eyes all crazy
Now most mad men don't phase me
But these guys, I'll admit it
Got me scared, we're finished...
The scientists proved it, we're all gonna die

Charts, equations, how, when, and why
You did not invite them and neither did I

But they're here, drink up
We're all gonna die...


The End of All Things banner.jpg ​

Hello everyone! I’ve been a longtime writer and roleplayer and want to give a story that I’ve been working on for some time one more chance as a roleplay. I’m hoping to get to know some fellow great writers to help me out. I believe I have a story and setting that will interest quite a few people. It’s a rework/reimagining of a roleplay I tried on a different forum quite a few years ago. So if you recognize me or the plot, feel free to shout me out!

So, to cut to the chase, I’m looking for some dedicated and experienced writers to help me flesh out and organize the lore for this world and story that I’ve been working on for the better part of a decade. The new title of the project is “The End of All Things” and it will be a dark medieval fantasy with an apocalyptic storyline. The setting is akin to George R.R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire”, Kentaro Miura’s “Berserk”, & Glen Cook’s ”The Black Company”.


A quick synopsis:​

The massive continent of “Seldwa” is home to many kingdoms and nations, each with their own long and complicated histories with each other. There is a rare state of peace in the modern day, begging to be broken. The leaders and denizens of Seldwa are unaware that quickly approaching their known world is an ancient, Lovecraftian space-god known as “Engriact” whose only form of sustenance is the “life force” of a world.

To prepare the planet for his arrival, Engriact sends his “Heralds of Death”, beings from worlds he has consumed in the past millennia that are cursed with immortality so they can serve Engriact for eternity. Their job is to end the lives of as much of the population as they can before Engriact’s arrival, causing the planet to swell with their “souls” and giving Engriact a larger “meal”.


EngiactAI.jpg
Engriact2.png
Engriact

Annihilation, Ragnarok, The Apocalypse, Destroyer of Planets, Consumer of Souls, and Bringer of Destruction. Engriact has been known by many names to the people of many planets before he terminated them. An advanced being, consciousness, or entity that travels the cosmos; feeding on the force or energy that breaths life into a planet and it's inhabitants. Some advanced civilizations knew of it's coming beforehand, but were powerless to stop it. Most did not have a clue until the very end.

The Heralds of Death are four immortal beings who serve Engriact, and three of which travel to the planets beforehand to prepare them for it's arrival. When the majority of creatures on a planet die within a close proximity, the planet fills with their life-force (some view this as their souls). This is the only time when Engriact can feed on the planet. It is the Heralds' job to enure that in some way, shape, or form this happens.

Shala is drawn to the remnants of war on this planet. Her love of manipulating lesser beings draws her to the idea of sparking a full-scale war all over Seldwa using her telepathy and shape-shifting abilities that her race once possessed . She decides to visit the leaders of each nation...

Garnerge has always had an insatiable blood-lust, belonging to a race of monstrous, warring behemoths. His only wants are to end life with his bare hands, and to taste the flesh of those who fear him. He accomplishes this by retaining his incredible size and strength while destroying and consuming anything in his path.

Cornelius was a genius weapon inventor from a planet lost to Engriact centuries ago. Building a weapon that was actually able to damage the celestial being, Engriact granted him the curse of immortal life and servitude becoming a Herald of Death. Cornelius retains his knowledge in weaponry and uses it help nations advance to a quick holocaust.
​

This is where the characters come in. They are just citizens of this world as this chaos very slowly unfolds. Some will slowly realize the strange occurrences around them, while others may find themselves victims of, or manipulated by the Heralds. There is a strong emphasis and focus on character development.




SHALA
The Herald of Manipulation

Role: Spiritual Advisor to the Crown / Pathogen of the Mind
Status: Embedded (Active 9 Months)
Location: The Royal Palace, Kanzar


__________________________________________________​


PHYSICAL PROFILE

ShalaAI.jpg


  • Base Form: A statuesque humanoid with sickly, pale greenish skin, subtly pointed ears, and predatory fangs.
  • Mimicry: A master shapeshifter capable of perfect physical and vocal mimicry of any individual she has physically contacted.
  • Current Form: A young, beautiful dark-skinned Nomasda woman. In Roadalia, she is almost always seen in the modest, layered grey dressings of a high-ranking cleric, maintaining an aura of serene, holy authority.

ShalaShapeshiftedAI.jpg

__________________________________________________​

TRAITS & ABILITIES
  • The Whisper: A telepathic infiltrator who does not force compliance but plants suggestions. Victims perceive these thoughts as their own divine revelations or logical conclusions.
  • Paranoia Amplification: She feeds on the distribution of trust. Her presence acts as a catalyst for mental instability, turning mild suspicion into violent, state-sanctioned conviction.
  • Spiritual Decimation: Shala specializes in the slow death of a culture’s hope and identity, ensuring the social fabric is shredded from within before Engriact's final harvest begins.

BACKGROUND & MOTIVE
Shala is the scalpel of Engriact. While other Heralds focus on physical slaughter, her purpose is to ensure that the social fabric of a nation is rotted away from the top down. In Roadalia, she has weaponized the "Way of the Mother," turning Queen Bwalya Dasa into a puppet of mass internal destruction. She is the unseen hand behind the Queen's increasingly erratic and violent decrees.

GARNERGE
The Herald of Rage

Role: The Instrument of Slaughter / Primal Terror
Status: Active (Arrival Recent)
Location: Swazi Rainforest, Seldwa


__________________________________________________​


PHYSICAL PROFILE

GarnergeAI.jpg


  • Stature: An 11-foot-tall behemoth with explosive muscle mass, particularly in his legs, designed for devastating speed and crushing force.
  • Appearance: Pale, vein-streaked skin and a face twisted into a permanent mask of fury. He carries no weapons, as his limbs and raw strength are the primary tools of his harvest.
  • Presence: A walking catastrophe. His arrival causes a psychic "static" that triggers primal fear in local wildlife and humans alike, turning the rainforest into a silent graveyard.

__________________________________________________​

TRAITS & ABILITIES
  • Unstoppable Momentum: His massive leg strength allows him to shatter stone and iron. Once he begins a charge, no conventional barricade in Seldwa can hold him.
  • Berserker Aura: His proximity can trigger uncontrollable aggression in those nearby, causing allies to turn on each other before he even reaches the front line.
  • Regenerative Harvest: He sustains his monstrous vitality through the very act of slaughter, becoming a self-healing engine of destruction the longer a battle lasts.

BACKGROUND & MOTIVE
Garnerge is the blunt-force trauma of Engriact’s Heralds. While Shala rots the soul from the inside through manipulation, Garnerge is sent to dismantle the physical structures of civilization. Dropped into the dense Swazi Rainforest, he serves as the "beater" of the harvest—flushing out survivors and ensuring that the physical cost of resistance is too high for any nation to bear.


​

I had much of the lore and other story points all worked out on an old computer that had the hard drive go kuputz (such as the nations and their histories), but thankfully most of it I can still pull from my head. I do want to rework a few elements which is why I’m poking around for some interest. This is something that will probably take a long time to get off the ground before we would actually be roleplaying, but I’m willing to put in the weekly work if I can find a friendly and talented group wants to work with me.

I am strictly looking for 18+ writers as I plan on exploring adult themes in this story. Themes such as:


-Racism and racial equality

-Classism

-Alcoholism and addiction

-Mental health and PTSD

-Generational trauma

-The ugly realism of medieval warfare
​


Also, this is a low fantasy world. Very little amount of any magic or anything supernatural, especially at the beginning of our story. There are only humans on this world, split up into diverse cultures and races.

So what do you think? There’s a hell of lot more to this thing, but I figured I’d slap this little interest check together while at work to see if anyone is interested in the concept and helping me build this. Hope to hear from some interested parties soon!
 
Last edited:
The End of All Things

Roleplay Rules & Guidelines



01.INNER SANCTUM COMPLIANCE​

All site-wide Inner Sanctum and Terms of Service apply and must be strictly followed at all times. This is the foundation of this community; any violation of site-wide policies is an automatic violation of this roleplay. I follow these rules thoroughly while maintaining the mature atmosphere of the setting.

02. AGE REQUIREMENT & MATURE CONTENT (18+)​

This roleplay is strictly for writers aged 18 and older.

  • Personal Comfort: I am well into my adult years and do not feel comfortable writing out violent scenes or tackling the heavy subject matter of this world with anyone under the age of 18. I know this site is already 18 and above, but this is just a precaution.
  • Verification & Enforcement: There is no way for me to confirm age, so I will take your word for it. However, if I get an inkling that you are underage, whether you let it slip in casual conversation or your behavior makes me suspicious, I reserve the right to pull you from the RP without explanation.

03. OOC CONDUCT & CONFLICT RESOLUTION​

I expect all players to respect each other to the extreme. This is a space for mature collaboration, and I have zero tolerance for bullying, talking down to others, or side-talk behind players' backs.

  • Open Door Policy: I hope to become friends with you all through this writing process. Please do not hesitate to come to me with any issues; my inbox is always open.
  • The Judge & Jury: I am confident in my conflict resolution skills and will act as the sole judge and jury for any disputes. I judge every conflict on a case-by-case basis.
  • The Common Denominator Rule: If you have an issue with one player and it is resolved, but weeks later you have an issue with a completely separate player, I will likely view you as the common denominator. In these cases, you will be respectfully removed from the RP to preserve the group's health.

04. LITERACY & POST LENGTH​

I have high expectations for literacy to maintain the slow-burn nature of this story.

  • Solo Post Minimum: No solo post (one without your character interacting with another PC or an NPC controlled by me) shall be less than five full paragraphs. If this feels like a daunting task, this RP is respectfully not for you.
  • The Goal: I want you to explore your character's background, past, and current feelings. Do not be afraid to really flesh them out. This roleplay focuses heavily on character development.
  • Active Readership: Even if others in the roleplay do not read your solo posts word-for-word, I always will, multiple times over, and I will be enjoying them. All writing is to be done in past tense, 3rd person.

05. INTERACTION & COLLABORATION POSTS​

I handle character interaction differently than most GMs. We are essentially writing a book together.

  • "Collaboration Post" Thread: You will solo post to move your character through the story until you encounter another PC or an important NPC controlled by me. At that point, I would usually have the writing move to a Group DM to create a Collaboration Post, but since Inner Sanctum does not allow any IC rolepaying done in DMs, we will have a separate "Collaboration Post" IC thread where short form responses will then be allowed. These will be done with combat and conversation so that the narrative flows cohesively. OOC will be allowed in this thread so that the players can communicate while they are constructing the scene.
  • Flow & Style: In this "Collaboration Post" thread, the writing works like a 1x1 or 1x1x1 roleplay. Short bursts of action and a few lines of dialogue/monologue are acceptable here to keep things natural and moving fast.
  • Finalizing: Once the scene is complete, the writing will be formatted and edited into one single post for the main IC thread, either by one of you or by me. I will be present in all collaboration post construction to steer story in the right direction and to point out any inconsistencies or moving away from the plot.
  • Technical Requirements: All writing must be in 3rd Person, past tense to ensure a natural flow of writing. No godmodding (controlling another character without that player's permission) will be tolerated.

06. PARTICIPATION & ABSENCES​

To ensure random dropouts do not kill the momentum of the story, I have a strict policy regarding participation.

  • Flexibility: I am very flexible with timing for adults who keep in contact with me as I understand we all have busy lives. If you provide a heads-up, a leave of absence can be as long as you need and as many times as you need. Communication will mean you will always have a spot open.
  • The 14-Day Limit: The longest I will tolerate an absence without warning or communication is 14 days. At that point, I reserve the right to control your character to move the scene along. If you vanish for more than 14 days without a word, note that any In-Character (IC) development I have written for your character during your absence will be considered canon and final. You will have to work with what I have done.
  • Removal: You have 7 additional days (21 days from last contact or post) to return with an explanation. You are allowed only one leave of absence without warning. A second disappearance will result in your character being written off (e.g. they ride off into the sunset, or killed permanently).

07. CHARACTER CREATION & LORE INTEGRATION​

All characters & character sheets are considered Pending Approval until I have personally reviewed them.

  • The Approval Process: I may ask for edits to ensure your character strictly fits the setting. This includes adjusting names, refining religious affiliations, or changing occupations to better align with established lore. Detailed directions on lore-accurate character creation will eventually be posted, but don't let that stop you from messaging me. I encourage you to shoot me character ideas in the DMs so we can discuss them before you deep-dive into the sheet.
  • Low-Fantasy Standards: Characters must be human. No powers or supernatural abilities are allowed. Rare exceptions (like prophetic visions) must be requested and discussed with me before approval. You are welcome to play any ethnic background or mix allowed within the world’s lore.
  • Realistic Prowess: Characters can have impressive physical abilities, such as high-level combat prowess, provided they remain within the bounds of grounded realism.

08. AI USE WITHIN THE ROLEPLAY
​
The only use of AI that is allowed within this roleplay is for image generation.

  • Image Generation: As you can see, I have used Gemini to generate reference images for the setting. Images will not be used within posts whatsoever and the setting will be described in writing in the IC thread. They are only being used in the lore pages to give people a general idea of what they should be imagining and describing within their writing. If you wish to use an AI image for your character's "Face Claim" (God, I hate that term. Back in the day we just called them "Reference Pictures") then that's fine by me. I know this rubs many people the wrong way, especially artists, but it's too convenient to not use for something hobbyist such as as roleplaying.
  • AI Writing: Use of AI to help you write your posts will absolutely NOT BE TOLERATED. We're all adults here so I will be using the honor system for this. Do not worry, I will not be using any type of AI detection apps as those are notoriously inaccurate. But I do have experience reading narratives that LLMs have generated so don't think you will continuously get it passed me. If I get the inkling that any AI is writing your posts for you, then I will privately bring this up with you, and it may be possible that you will be removed from the RP permanently. Everything you are reading within this story is 100% written by my hand.


STARTING PLOTS

It is here where I will detail short summaries of the starting plots in each corner of the world. These will help you decide on where to start your character. Any of these are available to get into before we start and if you need further clarification or a question answered, please message me. I will be adding more as the week goes on.

TUNGWA

​
Deep in the Swazi Rainforest of northern Tungwa lies the small trading village of Jakka's Crossing. It is here that the former mercenary, Ziek Sidane, has just cashed in a bounty for a massive Imbulu that has been terrorizing the settlement. Flush with coin, he spreads his earnings around the local tavern, Berchen's Drinkhole, drinking up a storm with the locals and tossing coin after coin at the tavern band. As the night winds down into the twilight hours of the early morning and the tavern patrons stumble home to their jungle abodes, Ziek finds himself being ushered out of the establishment by Berchen himself, the man practically begging for sleep. Stumbling into the humid air, Ziek realizes he has to relieve himself urgently. He staggers over to the treeline and lets the urine flow.In the midst of that sweet, bladder-emptying relief, he notices something eerie: the usually boisterous forest is dead silent. There isn't a single caw from a night-bird or even the soft tread of the local "Jakkas". Then, as if on cue, a spectral light appears in the sky overhead, traveling at a rapid rate toward the earth as if cast down from the clouds themselves. It disappears, plunging deeper into the dense forest. Something about this strange light draws the drunken Ziek as he finishes pissing liquor in the bushes. He has no way of knowing the horror he is about to find further in the dark.

The arrival of the Herald of Rage: Garnerge.

Now your character can be a participant in Ziek's (my character) raucous night, a village citizen, or even someone passing by in the night as Garnerge touches down in the forest.


  • Requested (but not needed): A female scholarly character of any ethnicity that is studying in a small, local library in Jakka's Crossing when Garnerge enters the village.

ROADALIA
​
The current Queen of Roadalia, Bwalya Dasa, has been suffering from a steady mental decline for nearly a decade. The Roadalian people still view her as a beloved leader, as her royal court shields them from her increasing delusions. Those of the court view her, and each other, as family; they grew up under her while she was Captain of the Holy Knights of Azae and the one who led the nation during the previous Queen’s long, incapacitating illness.

This all comes to a head when a mysterious woman appears in the capital, claiming to receive visions from the Goddess Azae. Calling herself "Bupe", a traditional Nomasda name translating to “gift”, she has somehow wormed her way inside the Holy Palace in the capital of Kanzar to stand by Bwalya’s side, much to the dismay of those closest to the Queen. This so-called “prophetess” alienates the Queen from those around her and feeds deeply into her unstable thoughts. The once open-minded Queen now calls for the enforcement of theocratic law to a vicious degree, demanding the imprisonment and execution of non-believers and the less faithful.

The royal court is made up of: the General of the standing Roadalia Army, Arin Roadalia (a distant descendant of the first Queen of Roadalia); his secret lover, the Captain of the Holy Knights of Azae, Clarissa Edson; the Pontifess of Roadalia, Maya Kangwa; and five other Holy Knights. Over the past few weeks, the group has been planning to meet at an abandoned and dilapidated tavern on the outskirts of Kanzar to discuss the issue of this charlatan, Bupe. The time for that meeting finally arrives tonight at midnight, but one of them may not be who they seem...


  • Requested: The second in command of the Holy Knights of Azae, Under-Captain (you can create the name). They can either be Kilderlander (white) or Nomasda (black) or some type of mix of the two. Other ethnic mixes could be possible but must be discussed first. They would also be Queen Bwalya's "Shield-Maiden", essentially not only the Queen's personal bodyguard but also the chosen successor for the throne. This title is historically given to the Captain of the Holy Knights, but Captain Clarissa Edson has passed on the role due to it requiring a lifetime of celibacy.


KILDERLAND​

The rule of Queen Regent Elowen Hildren of Kilderland comes to an end this year, as her son Prince Antwon Hildren's sixteenth born-day is on the horizon. It has been eight years since the conclusion of the "War of Royalty", Kilderland's civil war between Elowen and her stepson, the late Prince Unger Hildren, and since her victory, a thick tension has lingered between the crown and the noble houses of the nation. To ease these frictions in preparation for her son's upcoming coronation, she requests that the yearly tournaments once held in Iorn resume for the first time in nearly a decade. House Iornia was wiped out at the end of the war when they refused to bend the knee; now their relatives, House Valor, rule the territory.

Elowen is on her way to attend said tournaments alongside the royal chancellor, Virin Lenent. What she does not know is that awaiting her arrival is a furious former noble related to the fallen House Iornia. He has entered the fisticuffs tournament, the main spectacle of the games, under a false name, hoping it will bring him just close enough to the Queen to take his shot...



  • Requested: Someone to play the disgraced noble that wants revenge on Queen Elowen. He can be the unknown surviving member of House Iornia, or just a lesser landed noble that lost his position now that the Iornias are dead and gone.


T'ODIS/KILDERLAND BORDER​

Vanse D'Enishora is running out of time. Another Justice Horde contingent is gaining ground on him, and he can almost feel it instinctively. He keeps his calm as he sits in the back of a rattling trade caravan, listening to the wagoner hold a conversation with a fellow rider, his worn traveler’s robes concealing his own ornate armor. The gate is almost in sight, just a few more miles up the road. He watches the "Beacons of T'ODis" carefully, waiting for one to ignite - the signal that his whereabouts are known.

There is only one thing on his mind: reaching the coast in Kilderland to charter a ship to Pa Xhuum. It is imperative that they alerted to what is happening behind closed doors in the ice empire. The jostling of the bumpy ride is almost lulling him into a dangerous reprieve when his eyes catch a flash in the distance. Before his mind can process the sight, the wagoner calls out in surprise:

“The Beacons be lightin’! I ain't never seen the likes o' that afore!”

Vanse (my second character) is a wanted man and is on the run from his fellow Justice Horde knights. They are catching up to him and are trying to stop him from leaving the country from the T'Odis Gate. The information he has and why they are chasing him are known only to him, but a rogue Justice Horde knight is not something that happens.



  • Requested (but not needed): A fellow rider in the cart that is about to be attacked by a full Justice Horde. They can be anyone.


CHARACTER SHEET TEMPLATE​

Name:

Age:

Race/Ethnicity:

Weapon of Choice (if applicable):

Languages Spoken:

Personality:

Physical Description: Reference pictures are optional but the description must still be written out. Pictures of famous people/actors will not be accepted unless said picture depicts them in some sort of Fantasy/Medieval setting. Same rule applies for "anime style" pictures. They must be of someone that will fit the setting (i.e. dressed in knight armor)

Background/history: Please flesh this out as much as you can, even with details that the character themselves may not know. If you have a surprise waiting to be revealed, you may omit it as long as you share it with me.
 
Last edited:
Hey it looks quite interesting!... but also overwhelming and suffocatingly dark, perhaps by design?

I see you put a ton of effort into setting it up and building the world. I would ask more about the direction of the story and where our characters fit into it, but I'm afraid the strict five paragraph rule is a deal breaker for me. I can do it if this was my only RP, but considering that I'd have to keep up with posts of similar length from multiple other people each round, while also having other 1on1 RPs, I just won't have the time.
 
Hey it looks quite interesting!... but also overwhelming and suffocatingly dark, perhaps by design?

I see you put a ton of effort into setting it up and building the world. I would ask more about the direction of the story and where our characters fit into it, but I'm afraid the strict five paragraph rule is a deal breaker for me. I can do it if this was my only RP, but considering that I'd have to keep up with posts of similar length from multiple other people each round, while also having other 1on1 RPs, I just won't have the time.

Well, first let me thank you for even taking a look over it. Yes, the world and its history is quite dark as I take most of my influence from “A Song of Ice and Fire”(Game of Thrones) but also the lesser known “The Black Company” by Glen Cook (great series). There’s also a little bit of influence from the manga “Berserk” Which I was heavy into in my teenage years.

I understand the long nature of the posts will scare many off, but I actually debated with myself and shortened it to 5 paragraphs from the 6-7 that I normally want from players. Although, I will state that I need to edit the rules section when I get on my PC to be site-compliant as I looked over the fact that no IC is allowed whatsoever in DMs. The 5 paragraph rule is lifted during character interaction posts since squeezing out 5 paragraphs becomes daunting when your character is having a back-and-forth conversation with another, or perhaps combat between two characters.

There will be a separate thread for creating “collaboration posts” when characters meet where a line of dialogue and a paragraph of narration is acceptable. OOC will also be allowed in this thread as the participants will be essentially creating a long form post over time when all their writing gets edited together into one cohesive post into the main IC thread.

I understand that probably still seems daunting to many, but I hope I get some interested writers over time with patience. To answer your question about the characters and their roles, they can be anyone from any country, and how they will factor into the main storyline will depend on the characters actions and how the plot develops.

If you change your mind and find you have free time in the future, you’d be welcome to join!
 
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ark
Updates
​
  • I have added a "Starting Plots" section under the roleplay rules. I have only one starting plot up as of now but I will be adding more by the end of this week.​
  • I have edited rule number 5 about interactions and collaboration posts to comply with the site's rules. I have also added a rule number 8 about AI use within the roleplay.​

To Be Updated
​
  • I will finish the last 3 remaining Nation Profiles. I will also add the current leader to each country and a short paragraph about them.​
  • Pa Xhuum and Beros still also need religion sections that I will add soon.​
 
Back
Top Bottom