Both Needed The Search for Exodo 0

Currently reading:
Both Needed The Search for Exodo 0

Welcome! You have been invited by Lucas Rhydian to join our community. Please click here to register.

ripley8

Science Officer NOSTROMO 1809246
Local time
Today 1:40 AM
Pronouns
She/her
The year is GSE (Grand Sovereignty Era) 4310.

Humanity is spread between The 11 Habitable Zones, with the vast majority never knowing any history of their people that doesn't include intergalactic travel, and the well-mapped paths through the stars to each Zone (formerly known as galaxies), called Quantumdrive Flight Paths. For the slightly less legally inclined, there are a few 'back-alley' routes through the vacuum of space between Zones.

The two main ruling powers are The Sovereignty and The Coalition, and at the center of the dueling sides, the Main Neutral Zone--a Zone that has somehow managed to never need pledge allegiance to a side. As such, it is a major hub of trade in the universe. Everything is legal--for a price, and some regulations.

War has shifted from shameless and outright bloodshed of millions to dealings in the shadows of those in power--who they can pay, and who they can keep on their side. Almost nobody alive can remember when weapons of mass destruction were even folklore; weapons have brought themselves full circle, and close-quarters combat with hand weapons is the way one must dedicate themselves to taking a life.

Humans have picked up strange genetic traits, with one being the most prominent to societal biases. While both Sovereignty and Coalition disagree on how and why--they both publicly acknowledge it to humanity's long-ago war with...well, it depends on who you ask. Sovereigners call them the Metal People, or more mockingly, Cyborgs. Coalitionists sway toward Manufactured Intelligence, or even Artificial Intelligence (though any of their devout historians would feel the need to mention AI pre-dated MI). What they say, however, doesn't matter much, because Augments are around, and have been for millennia, regardless of propaganda, fact, and rumor.

Augments are people born with seamlessly integrated mechanical parts. It's entirely random, and can be as small as four or five internal metalganic components, all the way to full limbs. And, though plenty of advanced technology surrounds them all, Augments have been branded as pariahs in The Sovereignty, the richer of the two powers by far--so parts to repair their bodies tend to be outdated, black market, and/or massively expensive. Curiously enough, augmented anatomy seems to offer no function more efficient, nor special, than a fully organic counterpart, and register stimuli as part of the nervous system. As such, without access to proper upkeep of their augmented parts, some Augments wind up living with mild to severe chronic pain.

In this universe fraught with massive scale corruption, even more massive cover ups, and no end of secrets to uncover about humanity's first Starwalkers, as well as their opposition, Outpost Worlds are where much of it falls away. In the harsh environments, those unlucky enough to be locals care much less for what you look like, and where you come from, than what you have to drink, smoke, and trade. One particular Outpost World--Kanveska--a planet of snow, ice, and little else, could hardly know of a major historical discovery buried in its frigid crags.

And if you're a pirate Privateer of The Cesium Opus, about to touch down with an eagerly-anticipated, tax-dodging shipment of booze and herb for the Kanveskans, well, you really don't care...or do you? Money is money, and your ship follows that trail. From dodging red tape with rum in your hands, to offering politically-free ties for travel, to intimidation circuits. The Cesium Opus does it all.

Only a small group from the Starwalker Research Institute has the hint of a clue--your theories ridiculed by colleagues--because after all, why ever look for a history where man and machine weren't warring? You insist the answers to your queries lie around the fabled year Exodo Era 0 (commonly called Exodo 0), that the worlds have all but given up searching for facts about, content to listen to what their ruling powers say, because...well, it doesn't affect them that much, right? Ancient history, from when the last of the Starwalkers left their home planet, many years gone to its exploded sun.

But they are wrong...and you are right.

Heyo, everyone reading! Thanks for getting this far!

Basically I have this huge world that I've spent 4 or 5 years building, now, and it all started with a document in my files called 'SPACE PIRATES LOL', and the idea of AI helping humanity instead of destroying it. As my ideas normally do, they expanded much beyond the bounds I initially imagined, and as such, this 'deep delve into history' plot graciously unfolded itself to me. I'd say some of the media pieces that helped influence it are Detroit: Become Human, Treasure Planet (yes, the cartoon, it's bomb), The Expanse (which I saw another group RP that mentioned this show and I was floored cuz I feel like I'm the only person I've met that watches it?? Good for us!), some low-fi aspects of Alien, and an inkling that started with I, Robot, back in 2000-and-late. (The space ships are a mesh of conventional sci-fi vessels and old three-masted type ships--hence the Treasure Planet thing--which they're sustained by something called an atmos-pull--but more on that in codex type shit that'll come once we've got a group--see, I already digress 😅)

Fast forward to now, and all this rich history and the potential epic adventures to be had in this world are just sitting in my head and its dedicated, chaotic notebook that has everything from dates and events, to planetary info, to the science of the AI and MI, to main religions, to regional phrases...yeah, you get it. I pretty much have a script bible worth of information, and I thought perhaps I found a place where others would enjoy exploring this universe!

Quick run-down--

On smut:
This is a story that would go in Poe's Corner, so if your characters (and/or mine) decide to get jiggy with it (because who doesn't with so many interesting people??), make sure everyone is on board and that it belongs in Poe's Corner. If you decide you wanna get more gritty, you and your partner/s could open a side thread in one of the forbidden room chats for your sideways tango.

On violence/gore/abuse etc.:
Nothing will happen to characters in the RP without consent/planning--however, I want to leave backstories open to any and everything. I have no qualms with whatever tortured past you can dream up, and I'd love if everyone is on the same page about that, too.

On posting:
While I wish I could get paid for sitting at my computer and looking pretty, I know it's not the case for me or many others. I too have a job, a partner, friends, and a hobby outside of writing that can take up plenty of time. That being said, I think it would be fair to ask that you could post once every 3 days. If it will be longer, I'm sure you could say something in an OOC chat that I'll start before the RP, and we could move your position in the posting order, or you could tuck your character away for a little while. Plenty of options! All this to say, if this sounds epic and you want to be a part of it, but are afraid you may get caught up with life--no worries. If you wanna work with me and the group that forms, we will work with you!

On posting, pt2:
I'm not about the word or paragraph count in replies--what I care is that you acknowledge what's been written before in your scene, and thoughtfully add to it. If it's a one-liner, it should probably be something akin to the greatest logline ever written. I'm not saying it's not possible, but give your fellow writers something to work with.
On the same note, I'm looking for at least intermediate writers, or those willing to rise to the occasion, and wanting to up their writing game, by being around those perhaps slightly more advanced, or simply more experienced. Spelling should be fairly on point, and grammar should be intentional. (By that, I mean I'm fully in support of a character talking, and their particular prose, conveying unique speech patterns. Someone raised in the streets ain't gonna give a fuck about ending a sentence with a preposition, right? Lol)

Right-oh! On to more fun stuff!!

Who I'm looking for--you!

I'd love an even spread of Cesium Opus characters and Research Institute characters.

My character is a crew member (more on her later), so that would leave 2 spots open for crew, and 3 spots open for Researchers.
(I could possibly be persuaded to add one more crew spot.)
((Also, if there aren't this many people that want to join, we can always start it with less and find more along our way))

Cesium Opus Crew:
1. Zora Amano (ripley8)
2. Aster Vagus (Lea)

Starwalker Institute Researchers:
1. -pending name (udon)
2. -pending name (Dnafein)

As for your characters--they can be any combination of things. From a Coalition or Sovereignty world--or the Main Neutral Zone (I have names for plenty, just ask or shoot me a PM), an Augment or not, have different reasons for joining the post they're in now--the list is endless.
Are you a skeptic that found yourself in the researchers? A formerly well-to-do society member that tired of it all and started running with the riff-raff of the universe? A street urchin that chose books over bar fights, and had to fight tooth and nail to get to your position? I don't know! But I want to! If you're feeling the story and maybe have a clue about your character, but need more info, feel free to post a question about any aspect of the world. I have answers, but I'm sure you can find your own twist within them, too, which is really the fun part about making a character in any world, right? Just comment that you're working on an idea and I'll put your name in as a place holder.
I have a main plot that I'll be guiding us along, however if your character finds their way into some fuckery, or if we can weave their tale into the main quest line, then side adventures will be most welcome! (I also have an idea of doing polls for decisions that could come up along their journey, if that sounds interesting to anyone else.)

Currently, I'm thinking the Cesium Opus Captain to be a shareable NPC (I'd start them off), where I would be able to announce when they'd be needed for important plot points in an OOC, but they are otherwise borrow-able.
ALSO--if anyone takes an extra liking to the idea of a Starwalker Researcher, and feels like collaborating with myself more, I have a potential 'group lead' character for the Researchers that would operate in much the same way as the captain, but with you as the main NPC's host. However, it can be done without. (But forreal let me know, I'm all about plans and plots and exploring ideas, and if you are too, I'm sure we'll have a good time)

May The Chaos find us together! Hope to hear from you!

Last edited:
Habitable Zones Information

ZONES OF THE SOVEREIGNTY

Brahe-Alma: The capital and seat of power of The Sovereignty, and an impressive display of planetry among the universe. Twin planets, the north pole of one under the south pole of the other. On each planet, only the hemisphere pointed at its twin is fertile, so the liveable area is still only roughly a planet large. Their main export is spices, though not salt.

Lux: A planet whose habitable area is in constant twilight, known for the brilliant displays of their ever-sunset. Known as the Chosen Zone of The Sovereignty for its beautiful scenery. Main export is plants viable for breeding, valuable for their non-photoperiod genetics.

Barremyde: A forest and jungle world, with 90% of its water only underground. The soil and light cycles make the trees grow exponentially faster than in any other Habitable Zone.

Fulgor: A world of diamond mountains, though their peaks extend beyond the atmosphere, so those who harvest the precious stones, which is their main export, require special training and out-of-atmos suits, thus creating a large population of fairly wealthy, but hard-working tradesmen and women.

Ulthar: A world dedicated to livestock and domesticated animal breeds, including intentionally-bred exotic species.

ZONES OF THE COALITION

Onraka: Capital of The Coalition. Onraka is rich in every metal humanity needs, and has needed, for centuries, mostly found in the soil. Most of the planet is flatland and only hospitable to plants with large metal/alloy intake needs, which many varieties wind up helping Augments when parts and other treatments do not.

Kastra Dama: A luxury cloth and textile supplier, from royalty's silks to dependable out-of-atmos suits to rugged clothes for working star sailors or tradesmen--their climate gives them bugs and plants with fibers unrivaled throughout the universe for quality. (Kastra Dama pre-dated Barremyde, which was The Sovereignty's attempt to have their own luxury supplier of such goods. Barremyde failed in that aspect)

Ardhi: Liquid water world, whose main export is seafood, salt, and liquor. The special filters in their sparse lands between oceans are particularly effective in distilling, hence Ardhi-distilled liquor is among the grandest in the stars

OUTPOST WORLDS

A work in progress, actually, so if you have any ideas, feel free to hit me up!

-Outpost Worlds are near-enough other major planets, and along Quantumdrive Paths, but still an inconvenient few-day trip away. They provide more base needs like fuel, ice/water, soil, etc...

Kanveska: Ice planet, main export is unsurprisingly ice. This is an Outpost further out of the way than most.

Character Sheet Ideas

Name:

-What world are they from? Did they do any work there? Did they enjoy it?
--What brought them to join the dangerous life of a privateer, or what influenced them to begin studying the history of humankind? Especially the First Starwalkers?

-Physical attributes
--Any augments? Are they well-kept, or retrofitted and cause pain?
--Tattoos, scars?
--What's their build?
--How do they dress?
--Feel free to add a picture if you find one you like.

-Attitude
--Any ticks or favorite swears?
--Hot-headed, even-keeled, dark and broody? How do they come off, and how do they feel inside?
--Are they religious at all? (You can also save some of this for when I hit more fine points of the lore)

-Extra
--Special skills? (as a privateer, you should choose a hand-combat weapon specialty, researchers, that's entirely optional but I would find it fascinating lolol)
--Quirky personal items they keep?

These are just some ideas, feel free to add more!

Should I go ahead and start a thread in the Worlds forum to start filling in some more lore? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Sure! Could be helpful when writing the character sheets.

Interested in filling a researcher position, if possible! I've got a few inklings of character ideas already.

Gotcha in there udon!
I'll put up a thread in worlds/characters later tonight after work.

Hi Ripley. Someone I know is interested in one of the researcher spots (for now). He needs to read the thread and confirm, as I told him that you said you *might* consider a fourth crew member. But he'll let you know… I think he's cool with researcher, too. :)

Most excellent! Looking forward to hearing from them!
(Also sorry everyone but it's gym night so the world info thread will be up a smidge late tonight)

No worries. I'm not in a huge hurry. Take your time.

I put up the extra info here!

We can also post our characters in there. If any info comes up and you want to tweak your character before we start, that can definitely happen.

Reactions: Lea
So my dear friend has threatened me with bodily harm to join this. She said she told you i was coming, and I am okay with either researcher or whatever you need me for.

Look at Lea, 5 star space pirate already 😂😂
Awesome, Dnafein! I'll get your name in!

As an aside—Hoping to finally get my character up tonight (and also the OOC thread). Wanted to do it last night but adventuring all day had me brain dead and headed to sleep early 😂

I am, my profile is almost ready. Sorry. I traveled abroad with a seven month old, was living in a hotel another week, and have spent the last week moving into our new house.

I'll work on finishing / posting my sheet tomorrow! Not sure if certain things I wrote are okay, but you can read over it and I can edit as needed. 😊

Hi! Are you still open for this?
I find your world really interesting, and want to jump in if there's any slot for me?
I'm fine with either role, but I think I will have to ask you a lot about the world while building the character lol if that's okay for you?
I have some ideas for the character, but what I had in mind is basically like Mass Effect Series

@Rorres Abso-tootley there is a spot for you! Thus far we only have concrete characters for Lea and myself, and a Mass Effect forum about 7 years ago is what rekindled my love of writing RPs lolol. I'll shoot you a message cuz I have 0 issues with you asking a million and 3 questions 😊

I think Kyrian won't be joining now. I'm sad 😭

Back
Top Bottom