Dungeon Master
Inner Sanctum Nobility
Local time
Today 7:41 PM
Pronouns
He/Him
Character Creation Guidelines for Baxter Peter's Way of the Wicked game,
using 5th Edition D&D.

Note! If you want to play and you don't understand D&D, I will help you. You just need to ask.
  1. All the Characters are evil, full stop. No good, no neutral, no chaotic neutral that leans evil. You're villains. Embrace it.
  2. Evil doesn't mean stupid. It also doesn't mean 'Unable to work with others without stabbing them'. The party might have friction, but I want you to work together as a team. PVP is /not/ the point of this game, and there will be in-game consequences for such behavior.
  3. Your characters will being at 1st level with no gear save for prison rags, so don't worry about gear to start. You will get gear relatively early on, so don't feel you need to play a character who doesn't need any gear to be awesome. You will be awesome, I promise.
  4. All official Wizards of the Coast character options are available for use. All races, all classes, whatever. If you want to use something that wasn't published in a book, I'm happy to review it and see if it works. I will work with you to make sure you have a character you like.
  5. You will be evil characters operating in a Lawful Good kingdom filled with goody goodies who want to stop you. Playing a character that sticks out like a sore thumb will make your life harder. So while you're welcome to play Teiflings, or Tortles, or Tabaxi, or even a weird race that doesn't start with a T, just understand that the kingdom is mostly human, with some halflings, elves, and dwarves sprinkled in for good measure.
  6. You committed and were convicted of a heinous crime. Tell me what, and I'll give you a character boon related to said crime.
  7. Standard character creation rules apply, except for the attribute generation below.
Attributes

You can choose between two methods to generate your character's 6 Attributes. (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma.) Each of these methods are more generous than the standard D&D method.
  1. The Wicked Array. Assign the following scores however you like to the 6 Attributes. 16, 15, 14, 13, 11, 8
  2. Focus and Foible. This method is a bit more complex, potentially a bit more powerful than the Array, but far more random. Pick one Attribute. You start with an 18(!) in that Attribute. Pick a 2nd attribute. You get a 7(!) in that one. For your remaining attribute, roll 1d10+7 for each one and assign in order, no switching around. This one seems strange, so I'll do an example post of how that would look.
If you want to use the Focus and Foible method, you need to roll in this thread. The BBCode is simple.
Code:
 [dice]4d10[/dice]

Last edited:
Focus and Foible Example.

For this example, I will be writing up Laviter Elldawn, a Hexblade Warlock who killed a prominent noble's son in a duel.

Warlocks run off Charisma. I'm going to put my 18 in Charisma because I'm awesome and so is Laviter.

Laviter is not the wisest of men, as can be seen by the whole murdering a fool in a duel and getting sentenced to death thing. I'm dropping my 7 in Wisdom.

That leaves, in order, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, and Intelligence. Let's see how he turns out. I'm going to roll 4d10 and add 7 to each die.

[dice]4d10[/dice]

Adding 7 to each of the above rolls, I get the following attributes for my magical duelist.

Strength: 15
Dexterity: 11
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 9
Wisdom: 7
Charisma: 18

I didn't roll great, but I'll still be a good warlock because of that meaty 18 charisma. Also, let's assume Laviter is a normal human. They get +1 to all their attributes, so after I add that, he looks like:

Strength: 16
Dexterity: 12
Constitution: 13
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 19

Not too shabby at all. He's burly, somewhat graceful and tough, average smarts, a bit brash and foolhardy, and charming as a mofo.

Want me to build you a ranger based on the character you made in the previous thread? Former noble, nudist archer?

You want the safer array or more random, but more powerful Focus and Foibles?

So, here's a level one ranger for you, Jedi. She's a human with a magical tattoo that gives her some special movement related abilities, including a 1/Long Rest short teleport, which is helpful for a thief. You need to pick a favored enemy and a favored terrain (I suggest Forest). Also, you can give some thought to who your Criminal Contact is. I can create someone if you like, but you're free to invent them as well. If there's anything you don't like or want to tweak, feel free. If you have any questions, hit me up.

Jedi's Ranger - Female NE Human (Mark of Passage) Ranger 1

Background: Fallen Noble (Custom between Criminal and Mulmaster Aristocrat)

Crime: Theft

Bonds: (These are suggestions, feel free to change them.)
Personality: I will not admit I am wrong if I can avoid it.
Ideal: I am unconcerned with any negative effects my actions may have on the lives and fortunes of others.
Bond: Something important was taken from me, and I aim to steal it back.
Flaw: The ends (my advancement) justify any means.

Str: 8 -1
Dex: 18 +4
Con: 13 +1
Int: 11 +0
Wis: 14 +2
Cha: 16 +3

AC: 14
HPs: 11
Initiative: +4
Passive Perception: 14
Speed: 40

Skills:
Athletics: +1, Deception +5, Performance +5, Perception +4, Stealth +6, Survival +4

Proficiencies:
Thieves Tools, Playing Cards, Lyre, Land Vehicles, Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shields, Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons

Languages:
Common, Elven,

The Mark of Passage: You have a magical tattoo that gives you the following abilities:
  • Courier's Speed: Your base walking speed increases to 40 ft.
  • Intuitive Motion: You gain proficiency in Athletics and Land Vehicles. If you later gain proficiency, you gain expertise instead.
  • Determined Stride: When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn.
  • Shared Passage: As a bonus action you can teleport a distance up to your walking speed, ending in an unoccupied space that you can see. You can bring one willing creature of your size or smaller who is carrying gear up to its carrying capacity. The creature must be within 5 feet of you when you use this trait. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.
Criminal Contact:
You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.

Favored Enemy:
Choose a type of favored enemy: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, monstrosities, oozes, plants, or undead. Alternatively, you can select two races of humanoid (such as gnolls and goblins) as favored enemies.

You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them. When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your choice that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all.

Natural Explorer:
Choose one type of favored terrain: arctic, coast, desert, forest, grassland, mountain, swamp, or the Underdark. When you make an Intelligence or Wisdom check related to your favored terrain, your proficiency bonus is doubled if you are using a skill that you're proficient in.

While traveling for an hour or more in your favored terrain, you gain the following benefits:

• Difficult terrain doesn't slow your group's travel.
  • Your group can't become lost except by magical means.
  • Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.
  • If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
  • When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
  • While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.
Equipment:
Prison Rags, Manacles, BlindFold

Attacks:
Unarmed +1 to hit, 1 damage.
Dagger +6 to hit, 1d4+4 damage.
Longbow +6 to hit, 1d8+4 damage.

If you go with
I'll just go with human as a favored enemy, and forest as a favored terrain.

Technically, you get Human and one other Humanoid Race. Human's the big one. Is there another humanoid race your character doesn't like?

Sure, if you like.

Alright, here's what I can think of at the moment.

Name: Dusk Rose Vier

Backstory: Dusk started just like the rest of her family, but after her 18th birthday, she felt the need to explore herself, her body, and far more. She started to dabble in nudism, sex, and many other scandalous things. Her family grew tired of it very quickly, and after one too many chances to change, they disowned her to not ruin their own name, and took everything from her, leaving her penniless, orphaned, and alone. She stole food to survive, and clothes for the colder months, relying on her nudity to help her. Eventually, she met someone who said they could help her, and get her back what belongs to her. After months of training, and practicing with smaller heists, she was ready for her big one. Her target was a simple gold statue from a Noble connected to her family. She failed, horribly, and ended up in prison after being caught by the Guards. Now she wants revenge, and to reclaim her birthright by any means necessary.

https://data.whicdn.com/images/54634435/large.jpg (Emily Rudd for what I picture Dusk looking like.)

I'm not very good with history, so I hope this works.

We need to jazz up your crime. You aren't just a thief, you're a horrible thief. Maybe the statue was actually a reliquary for Mitra and during the attempted theft it was destroyed along with other holy relics. She might not have known it at the time.

Back
Top Bottom