Either Needed Lonely starship seeks a good crew

Currently reading:
Either Needed Lonely starship seeks a good crew

I said screw it and just made a new character lol. I was actually unsure to begin with if I was totally happy with my first concept so I'll just post him back up on the drawing board for the time being.

Came up with something maybe a little less interesting but easier to work with, I think.

Name: Hammond "Lucky" Kurtz

Pronouns: He/Him

Species: Homo Sapiens Astra

Height: 5'9"

Appearance: Over halfway through his second century of life and a veteran of three system-scale conflicts, Hammond's age shows clearly. His close-cropped, once golden-blonde hair has both darkened and begun to develop specklings of gray. His scraggly beard barely grows more than a few millimeters in length and is interlaced with half-a-dozen facial scars of varying size and severity. His somewhat outdated ocular implants have dark, brown irises, nearly black. Minor genetic enhancements keep Hammond in a generally wiry-muscled state so long as he avoids severe caloric deficits or surpluses, giving him the unending appearance of a lean-and-hungry soldier.

Multiple of Hammond's extremities have been replaced with mismatched prosthetics from different manufacturers: his left leg is a polymer-housed, synth-muscle prosthesis from the knee down; his right foot has been replaced by a relatively simple artificial foot with direct, external attachments to the muscles of his lower leg; a military-grade prosthetic replaces his left pectoral, many of the muscles in his upper back, and the entirety of his arm from the shoulder down. Hammond's augmentations are such that only his artificial left hand is obvious to the naked eye when fully clothed. A myriad of small scars from insignificant wounds cover the remaining organic components of his body.

Regardless of his choice of outerwear, Hammond habitually wears the light, form-fitting ballistic-energetic armored vest he has retained since his second conflict. Its actual effectiveness after forty-odd years of use and repair is debatable.

Bio: Hammond "Lucky" Kurtz was born on Ossiria-⍴-4, a planet within the Ossiria system. Ossiria was once a border system of the Mitanic Empire that maintained loyalty for some time following the Empire's initial defeat at the hands of the Phytids. Though rich in resources, Ossiria had prospered largely through the support of the core worlds of the Empire and so secession or rebellion was not initially popular in the system. However, as the numerous rebellions, civil conflicts, and eventual wars with independent human powers ground the Empire down, Ossiria's fortunes waned and faith in their imperial government sharply declined. Within three hundred years of the Mitanic Empire's initial fall, Ossiria became just another border system embroiled in war.

By the time Hammond was born, Ossiria had already weathered several attempts at rebellion and their brutal suppression. The system and its territory remained under Imperial authority but insurrection was ever-brewing. As a young man, Hammond joined the most influential insurrectionist force at the time: the Ossirian Unionist Army. The OUA had formed from the alliance of minor worlds and colonies in the Ossirian territory that had finally amassed enough power to secede with the Mitanic Empire all but exhausted in the region. Hammond served as a marksman and sniper in the war between the OUA and the remaining Imperial authority in Ossiria. It was during this conflict that Hammond both lost his arm and gained the nickname "Lucky" from his comrades.

Over the following century-and-a-half, "Lucky" Kurtz would fight in a second civil war in Ossiria and against the invasion of the Ossirian Union by an Imperial remnant. After the latter conflict was won by the Imperial forces, with the support of Ossirian rebels, Lucky became disillusioned with "causes" and fled the Ossirian territory. Working with mercenaries and for any rebel cause that could afford his expertise, Lucky meandered across human space.

Now a spry 167 years of age, Lucky had spent the last few standard months lying low at Pilgrim's Star after a high-profile job: He'd pissed off a colonial governor in the Medial Cygnal Republics who turned out to be the grudge-holding type.

Personality: Lucky's weariness and dispassionate cynicism belie a surprisingly congenial personality. His tendency to forgo deep personal connections leaves most with the simple impression of a tired, grizzled veteran who cracks an unexpected smile now and then. Regardless of whether he shares a connection with or even likes those he works with, he remains dependable in action. Lucky also carries an intense, deeply buried sense of survivor's guilt after having outlasted so many comrades.

Skills: -marginally improved strength due to augmentations. -improved augmented vision with baseline 20/10 vision and adjustable magnification (the sclerae of his ocular implants can turn black to allow for better concealment) -Highly skilled long-range marksman -internal steady-arm augmentation and marginally improved reflexes -familiarity with many basic kinetic small-arms weapons -basic explosives training -special-forces-caliber training in hand-to-hand combat -exceptional knowledge of asymmetrical warfare -plays the fiddle rather well -decent understanding of strategic theory

Ship role: Tactician and Marksman

I also had a whole long ass backstory I wrote out before I realized not much of it would be terribly useful on a character sheet. Who knows, maybe some of it'll come out IC.

I also know we already have a handful of fighty, soldiery types, so let me know if anyone feels like I'm stepping on their toes; on your turf, as it were.

I know it makes sense for a lot of the characters to have combat experience but I don't want anyone to feel like the market's oversaturated.

So - we have allot of fighty, super over 100's, super soldiers and pilots.
Practical literally outside the ship - fixing and repairing things.

"Dont you want to say hello?"

"Probably best they didnt know I exist here until after I have finished repairs."

"I thought he was trying to hire engineers, not a private army…"
"what's the difference nowadays"

If any here would have heard of the Damascus Shipping yards - most would have been easily fooled to thinking that they used machines and robots to salvage, scrap and repair machines. Since most of those who went there for work, were either forced to augment to meet the pay of their debts - keep up with KPIs only to realise this was the spiral of ever growing debt. Augment to do more work to pay the, go further into debt to pay and maintain - those who didnt were quick to realise that the work they did either didnt pay as well and their dent into their debts was minimal. Those in charge either brought in those desperate enough for work etc.

That and often any whistleblowers, escapees sometimes incurred paid bounty hunters to find missing Assets.

Practical is more - he has all the field manuals of ship repair, maintenance and scrap loaded as skill softs within his own augmetics along with jury rigging, improv repair techniques.
"You might be over a hundred, but I have stored knowledge and augmetics," His only real fear now is if any bounty hunters onboard dare to try and cash him in.

Last edited:
That and often any whistleblowers, escapees sometimes incurred paid bounty hunters to find missing Assets.
(Assuming the character gets the green light) would you be alright with Lucky having tracked down a Damascus whistleblower in the past? I imagine it would mean he'd have an inkling that Damascus was worried about more than just standard industry secrets getting out, but not much beyond that.

I said screw it and just made a new character lol. I was actually unsure to begin with if I was totally happy with my first concept so I'll just post him back up on the drawing board for the time being.

Came up with something maybe a little less interesting but easier to work with, I think.

Name: Hammond "Lucky" Kurtz

Pronouns: He/Him

Species: Homo Sapiens Astra

Height: 5'9"

Appearance: Over halfway through his second century of life and a veteran of three system-scale conflicts, Hammond's age shows clearly. His close-cropped, once golden-blonde hair has both darkened and begun to develop specklings of gray. His scraggly beard barely grows more than a few millimeters in length and is interlaced with half-a-dozen facial scars of varying size and severity. His somewhat outdated ocular implants have dark, brown irises, nearly black. Minor genetic enhancements keep Hammond in a generally wiry-muscled state so long as he avoids severe caloric deficits or surpluses, giving him the unending appearance of a lean-and-hungry soldier.

Multiple of Hammond's extremities have been replaced with mismatched prosthetics from different manufacturers: his left leg is a polymer-housed, synth-muscle prosthesis from the knee down; his right foot has been replaced by a relatively simple artificial foot with direct, external attachments to the muscles of his lower leg; a military-grade prosthetic replaces his left pectoral, many of the muscles in his upper back, and the entirety of his arm from the shoulder down. Hammond's augmentations are such that only his artificial left hand is obvious to the naked eye when fully clothed. A myriad of small scars from insignificant wounds cover the remaining organic components of his body.

Regardless of his choice of outerwear, Hammond habitually wears the light, form-fitting ballistic-energetic armored vest he has retained since his second conflict. Its actual effectiveness after forty-odd years of use and repair is debatable.

Bio: Hammond "Lucky" Kurtz was born on Ossiria-⍴-4, a planet within the Ossiria system. Ossiria was once a border system of the Mitanic Empire that maintained loyalty for some time following the Empire's initial defeat at the hands of the Phytids. Though rich in resources, Ossiria had prospered largely through the support of the core worlds of the Empire and so secession or rebellion was not initially popular in the system. However, as the numerous rebellions, civil conflicts, and eventual wars with independent human powers ground the Empire down, Ossiria's fortunes waned and faith in their imperial government sharply declined. Within three hundred years of the Mitanic Empire's initial fall, Ossiria became just another border system embroiled in war.

By the time Hammond was born, Ossiria had already weathered several attempts at rebellion and their brutal suppression. The system and its territory remained under Imperial authority but insurrection was ever-brewing. As a young man, Hammond joined the most influential insurrectionist force at the time: the Ossirian Unionist Army. The OUA had formed from the alliance of minor worlds and colonies in the Ossirian territory that had finally amassed enough power to secede with the Mitanic Empire all but exhausted in the region. Hammond served as a marksman and sniper in the war between the OUA and the remaining Imperial authority in Ossiria. It was during this conflict that Hammond both lost his arm and gained the nickname "Lucky" from his comrades.

Over the following century-and-a-half, "Lucky" Kurtz would fight in a second civil war in Ossiria and against the invasion of the Ossirian Union by an Imperial remnant. After the latter conflict was won by the Imperial forces, with the support of Ossirian rebels, Lucky became disillusioned with "causes" and fled the Ossirian territory. Working with mercenaries and for any rebel cause that could afford his expertise, Lucky meandered across human space.

Now a spry 167 years of age, Lucky had spent the last few standard months lying low at Pilgrim's Star after a high-profile job: He'd pissed off a colonial governor in the Medial Cygnal Republics who turned out to be the grudge-holding type.

Personality: Lucky's weariness and dispassionate cynicism belie a surprisingly congenial personality. His tendency to forgo deep personal connections leaves most with the simple impression of a tired, grizzled veteran who cracks an unexpected smile now and then. Regardless of whether he shares a connection with or even likes those he works with, he remains dependable in action. Lucky also carries an intense, deeply buried sense of survivor's guilt after having outlasted so many comrades.

Skills: -marginally improved strength due to augmentations. -improved augmented vision with baseline 20/10 vision and adjustable magnification (the sclerae of his ocular implants can turn black to allow for better concealment) -Highly skilled long-range marksman -internal steady-arm augmentation and marginally improved reflexes -familiarity with many basic kinetic small-arms weapons -basic explosives training -special-forces-caliber training in hand-to-hand combat -exceptional knowledge of asymmetrical warfare -plays the fiddle rather well -decent understanding of strategic theory

Ship role: Tactician and Marksman

I also had a whole long ass backstory I wrote out before I realized not much of it would be terribly useful on a character sheet. Who knows, maybe some of it'll come out IC.

He looks great! I do wonder how he'd feel about having a former imperial warship reach out to him...Xeno is no longer in service to any colonial power, but he is a physical representation of the imperial boot, so to speak.

He looks great! I do wonder how he'd feel about having a former imperial warship reach out to him...Xeno is no longer in service to any colonial power, but he is a physical representation of the imperial boot, so to speak.
He'll definitely have mixed feelings about it, but I think his curiosity will win out. Imagine being a member of the IRA and one day an English ship from the Hundred Years' War shows up and the ghost captain asks if you'll step aboard and have some tea. Thatcher be damned, you might accept.

I'm also curious: does the Xenophon still have any Imperial markings/is it recognizable as a Mitanic vessel despite any changes in Mitanic ship designs?

He'll definitely have mixed feelings about it, but I think his curiosity will win out. Imagine being a member of the IRA and one day an English ship from the Hundred Years' War shows up and the ghost captain asks if you'll step aboard and have some tea. Thatcher be damned, you might accept.

I'm also curious: does the Xenophon still have any Imperial markings/is it recognizable as a Mitanic vessel despite any changes in Mitanic ship designs?
I imagine the Xenophon still has the imperial emblem (a highly stylised laurel wreath encircling a star) imprinted on his hull, along with his name and registry number. He'll get it scraped off as soon as he can...

Even if he didn't he'd be unmistakable as an Imperial warship of a well known and highly venerable design.

Or during the 500 years in self exile - he'd have scrubbed that off with the robots onboard?

Or during the 500 years in self exile - he'd have scrubbed that off with the robots onboard?
That would make sense as well, let's go with Xeno having scratched off everything but his name.

something something, "literal skeletons in the closet"

something something, "literal skeletons in the closet"
That reminds me, Xeno would never have bothered the clear out the belongings of his previous crew from their quarters, so there's a lot of 500-year-old personal junk the new crew will have to clear out of the way. Or loot, if they are so inclined.

500 year old gear - "These space suits will need to be -" checks expiration.
"Its gonna need to be reserviced and brought to standard."
"Practical, there are a large number of-"
"We will need new fabricators and fabricator templates, with a fault tolerance of 2n."

Back
Top Bottom