Both Needed Lumen: City of Fairytales (recruitment)

Currently reading:
Both Needed Lumen: City of Fairytales (recruitment)

Name: Robert of Loxley, AKA Robin Hood
Folklore: Robin Hood - Wikipedia

2-robin-hood.jpg

Sexuality: ~ Heteroflexible

Personality Points: Principled yet ruthless, contemptuous of wealth yet kind to the unfortunate, delights in mischief yet has a strong sense of justice, personally greedy yet magnanimous and generous. Has a good sense of humor, and remains humble despite having a good sense for publicity and fame.

Occupation/Job: Publically, he is a high-class tailor, using his skills for costume and repair to run his business. His true business is crime, that is, burglary, heists, bank robber, street banditry. He is currently a gang leader, and is an aspirant community leader and revolutionary.

Powers:

True Shot — Uncanny ability with any ranged weapon (but especially the bow) to hit a desired target, no matter how unlikely. If it's within the weapon's effective range and a path can be drawn through open space between Robin and his target, he can hit it regardless of movement or vision or ballistic improbability.

Disguise — For some reason, most people can't seem to recognize Robin Hood when he doesn't want to be known. He can melt into shadows, shrubbery, or crowds, or simply use his skills of deception and persuasion to claim he is someone else, and by any of these means he will disappear. The world seems to have a way of keeping him hidden and obscured when Robin desires it: magic or other special tricks need to be employed to unveil him unwillingly.

Picklock — Robin has a knack for locksmithery: he can quickly ascertain the workings of any locking mechanism he encounters, and can devise a way to break into them, whether through simple picking or hotwiring electrical components. There has to be a way for him to physically access, see, or listen to the lock however.

Talents/Hobbies/Skills:
Combat - Archery, marksmanship, swordplay, stealth, tactics, trap detection.
Social - Persuasion, manipulation, intimidation, politics, seduction, gambling, drinking, feasting, politics, poetry, guitar playing, singing, dancing.
Other - Lockpicking, cooking, forestry, horseback riding, tailoring, working with cloth, slights of hand.

Robert of Loxley, better known by the name furnished to him by history of Robin Hood, begins this story as the lovable, occasionally brutal rogue you know and love. Living with his Merry Men in the Inglewood Forest of a semi-mythical Medieval England, Robin Hood made his living and his name as both a ruthless bandit and as a charming hero of the poor. Wooing the rebellious Maid Marian, robbing corrupt nobles and clergy to give to the poor masses, assisting the court of Richard the Lionheart in innumerable schemes and intrigues, and making life hell for the Sheriff of Nottingham; Robin Hood lived a life full of adventure and excitement alongside his Merry Men, earning the praise of the poor and righteous while making enemies of the evil and high-and-mighty.

One day, however, his feats of reckless daring seemed to have caught up with him. After successfully humiliating a powerful courtier during an archery tournament at the request of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Robin's lifelong enemy the Sheriff of Nottingham finally had the resources he needed to crush the Merry Men and slay Robin Hood. Thousands of knights descended on Inglewood Forest, armed with torches to finally smoke out the bandits. They managed to find the Merry Men's camp, and a brutal, bloody battle ensued, with the Merry Men fighting to escape and protect Robin Hood while Hood himself valiantly worked to save his friends. A royal messenger carrying a pardon directly from Richard the Lionheart attempted to stop the madness, but by the time he arrived it was already too late: Inglewood was in flames and many knights and Merry Men alike lay dead. In the battle, Robin Hood was mortally wounded by an arrow into the chest, and the legend was then over.

Or, so it seemed. As the Merry Men despaired over the dying body of their leader, a slothful yet learned clergyman named Friar Tuck emerged from the forest shadow. No surgeon or priest would be able to save their dear Robin now, Friar Tuck said. Instead, with the help of Little John and their other surviving allies, they brought Robin Hood to a place deep in the forest that Friar Tuck had learned of in his travel and studies: a place called the Blasted Heath. Surrounded by tall, dark trees that blotted out all light, swarmed by odd creatures and twisted, discolored plants, paved with crude and strange stone megaliths that portrayed fearsome and alien carvings, it was a sinister place that generations of Englishmen avoided. Many generations, in fact: it was an ancient ground, older than the English themselves, older than the Romans before them, perhaps even older than the old druids before all of them. The Heath was a place of mystery and darkness, but also a place of powerful magic, where Friar Tuck knew through church records that many witches and demons had been seen performing strange rites—including, allegedly, the resurrection of dead creatures. Although many Merry Men had their misgivings, in desperation they followed the oddly cheerful Friar Tuck, and the Merry Men brought the dying Robin to the Blasted Heath in a last-ditch hope that whatever powers made their home there would save his life. The last thing Robin Hood remembered was being laid down on a dark stone altar at the instruction of Friar Tuck, the forest burning around them as the light went from his eyes…

Then, Robin Hood awoke. He found himself in a totally unfamiliar inn at Lumen, with a vicious hangover, totally alone and yet surrounded by empty bottles of fine wine, bones and scraps from feasting, and much, MUCH more treasure scattered around his room than he ever remembered trying to flee Inglewood with. His wound, once fatal, seemed to have healed finely, leaving nothing but a nasty purple scar—his lungs which had been choked with blood were now taking in cool fresh morning air, and aside from the pounding headache and nausea apparently from drinking, he was in perfect health. With no friends around, no knowledge of the strange city he now found himself in, and no ready way home, Robin strapped on his bow, quiver, sword and his famous Hood, before preparing to step out the door into his strange new world.

Hey there guys, I saw this and immediately thought it would be awesome to join! I hope this application works out for you all—let me know what you think!

Edits:
-Updated "Robin of Loxley" to "Robert of Loxley",
-Made some minor writing improvements and clarifications,
-Updated "Disguise" power description to more accurately portray what I intend,
-Changed skills/interests and job/occupation.
-Added "Picklock" to powers list, added "locksmithing" to interests list.
-Readjusted skills, added "tailoring" to job/occupation.

Last edited:

2-robin-hood.jpg

Personality Points: Principled yet ruthless, contemptuous of wealth yet kind to the unfortunate, delights in mischief yet has a strong sense of justice, personally greedy yet magnanimous and generous. Has a good sense of humor, and remains humble despite having a good sense for publicity and fame.

Occupation/Job: Bandit leader, master thief, murderer, helper of the downtrodden, intriguer, revolutionary, popular hero.

Powers:

True Shot — Uncanny ability with any ranged weapon (but especially the bow) to hit a desired target, no matter how unlikely. If it's within the weapon's effective range and a path can be drawn through open space between Robin and his target, he can hit it regardless of movement or vision or ballistic improbability.

Disguise — For some reason, most people can't seem to recognize Robin Hood when he doesn't want to be known. He can melt into shadows, shrubbery, or crowds, or simply use his skills of deception and persuasion to claim he is someone else, and by any of these means he will disappear. The world seems to have a way of keeping him hidden and obscured when Robin desires it: magic or other special tricks need to be employed to unveil him unwillingly.

Talents/Hobbies/Skills: Archery, swordplay, persuasion, manipulation, intimidation, forestry, cooking, hunting, tactics, gambling, seduction, light-fingered thievery, drinking, feasting, politics, poetry and music.

Robert of Loxley, better known by the name furnished to him by history of Robin Hood, begins this story as the lovable, occasionally brutal rogue you know and love. Living with his Merry Men in the Inglewood Forest of a semi-mythical Medieval England, Robin Hood made his living and his name as both a ruthless bandit and as a charming hero of the poor. Wooing the rebellious Maid Marian, robbing corrupt nobles and clergy to give to the poor masses, assisting the court of Richard the Lionheart in innumerable schemes and intrigues, and making life hell for the Sheriff of Nottingham; Robin Hood lived a life full of adventure and excitement alongside his Merry Men, earning the praise of the poor and righteous while making enemies of the evil and high-and-mighty.

One day, however, his feats of reckless daring seemed to have caught up with him. After successfully humiliating a powerful courtier during an archery tournament at the request of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Robin's lifelong enemy the Sheriff of Nottingham finally had the resources he needed to crush the Merry Men and slay Robin Hood. Thousands of knights descended on Inglewood Forest, armed with torches to finally smoke out the bandits. They managed to find the Merry Men's camp, and a brutal, bloody battle ensued, with the Merry Men fighting to escape and protect Robin Hood while Hood himself valiantly worked to save his friends. A royal messenger carrying a pardon directly from Richard the Lionheart attempted to stop the madness, but by the time he arrived it was already too late: Inglewood was in flames and many knights and Merry Men alike lay dead. In the battle, Robin Hood was mortally wounded by an arrow into the chest, and the legend was then over.

Or, so it seemed. As the Merry Men despaired over the dying body of their leader, a slothful yet learned clergyman named Friar Tuck emerged from the forest shadow. No surgeon or priest would be able to save their dear Robin now, Friar Tuck said. Instead, with the help of Little John and their other surviving allies, they brought Robin Hood to a place deep in the forest that Friar Tuck had learned of in his travel and studies: a place called the Blasted Heath. Surrounded by tall, dark trees that blotted out all light, swarmed by odd creatures and twisted, discolored plants, paved with crude and strange stone megaliths that portrayed fearsome and alien carvings, it was a sinister place that generations of Englishmen avoided. Many generations, in fact: it was an ancient ground, older than the English themselves, older than the Romans before them, perhaps even older than the old druids before all of them. The Heath was a place of mystery and darkness, but also a place of powerful magic, where Friar Tuck knew through church records that many witches and demons had been seen performing strange rites—including, allegedly, the resurrection of dead creatures. Although many Merry Men had their misgivings, in desperation they followed the oddly cheerful Friar Tuck, and the Merry Men brought the dying Robin to the Blasted Heath in a last-ditch hope that whatever powers made their home there would save his life. The last thing Robin Hood remembered was being laid down on a dark stone altar at the instruction of Friar Tuck, the forest burning around them as the light went from his eyes…

Then, Robin Hood awoke. He found himself in a totally unfamiliar inn at Lumen, with a vicious hangover, totally alone and yet surrounded by empty bottles of fine wine, bones and scraps from feasting, and much, MUCH more treasure scattered around his room than he ever remembered trying to flee Inglewood with. His wound, once fatal, seemed to have healed finely, leaving nothing but a nasty purple scar—his lungs which had been choked with blood were now taking in cool fresh morning air, and aside from the pounding headache and nausea apparently from drinking, he was in perfect health. With no friends around, no knowledge of the strange city he now found himself in, and no ready way home, Robin strapped on his bow, quiver, sword and his famous Hood, before preparing to step out the door into his strange new world.

Hey there guys, I saw this and immediately thought it would be awesome to join! I hope this application works out for you all—let me know what you think!

Edits: Updated "Robin of Loxley" to "Robert of Loxley", made some minor writing improvements and clarifications, updated "Disguise" power description to more accurately portray what I intend.
Quite interesting....

I do love love it, but....

I'm not sure how an "Outlaw" type character will fare in the city of Lumen. Lumen has existed for about five years, now. Has Robin been here that long or do you imagine him a very new arrival?

If he were to have a "job", what would it be? Celebrity Hunter and YouTube star? High School Gym teacher?

Quite interesting....

I do love love it, but....

I'm not sure how an "Outlaw" type character will fare in the city of Lumen. Lumen has existed for about five years, now. Has Robin been here that long or do you imagine him a very new arrival?

If he were to have a "job", what would it be? Celebrity Hunter and YouTube star? High School Gym teacher?
I imagined he would be a VERY new arrival.

If he had a real world job, assuming something like gangster or mercenary or cat burglar isn't an option, it would probably be either the head of some surprisingly hardcore charitable foundation, or perhaps a politician.

EDIT: a couple other ideas might be satirist, fence/pawnbroker, public defender, or private detective/bodyguard, or some combination.

Last edited:
I imagined he would be a VERY new arrival.

If he had a real world job, assuming something like gangster or mercenary or cat burglar isn't an option, it would probably be either the head of some surprisingly hardcore charitable foundation, or perhaps a politician.

EDIT: a couple other ideas might be satirist, fence/pawnbroker, public defender, or private detective/bodyguard, or some combination.
If you're familiar with The Dresden Files then a charismatic crime boss, like "Gentleman" Johnny Marcone, might fit in very well. A community leader on behalf of the city's poorer folk is another interesting take.

If you're familiar with The Dresden Files then a charismatic crime boss, like "Gentleman" Johnny Marcone, might fit in very well. A community leader on behalf of the city's poorer folk is another interesting take.
That's a great idea! I'll make that edit.

Done. Let me know if this works
I'm not the Organizer, I'm just making observations and comments.

LOL,
I hadn't originally intended much beyond an NPC event,
but there will be a big wedding in the game where at least two player characters will attend....
I don't suppose that Robin will be making an appearance (to steal from the rich?) or is that too crude (to spoil someone's wedding unless it's to rescue Maid Marian)?

I'm not the Organizer, I'm just making observations and comments.

LOL,
I hadn't originally intended much beyond an NPC event,
but there will be a big wedding in the game where at least two player characters will attend....
I don't suppose that Robin will be making an appearance (to steal from the rich?) or is that too crude (to spoil someone's wedding unless it's to rescue Maid Marian)?
That absolutely sounds like something Robin would do: wedding crashing.

My take would be Robin would spend most of his time simply casing the attendants (seeing if any of them are particularly wealthy and careless). He also wouldn't pilfer anything meant for the bride and groom and would certainly leave a nice honeymoon gift from the ill-gotten gains, but everything else is fair game haha

That absolutely sounds like something Robin would do: wedding crashing.

My take would be Robin would spend most of his time simply casing the attendants (seeing if any of them are particularly wealthy and careless). He also wouldn't pilfer anything meant for the bride and groom and would certainly leave a nice honeymoon gift from the ill-gotten gains, but everything else is fair game haha
If he's going to bestow/leave a gift, it would seem rather ingenuine to simply put his name on someone else's gift. I'd bring something, but it's your Robin.

Also: added
If he's going to bestow/leave a gift, it would seem rather ingenuine to simply put his name on someone else's gift. I'd bring something, but it's your Robin.
Oh no, you misunderstand: he'd buy his own gift using the proceeds from whatever he stole, he's no plagiarist lolol

2-robin-hood.jpg

Occupation/Job: Cat burglar, heist planner, bank robber, street bandit, gang leader, aspirant community leader and revolutionary.

Powers:

Picklock — Robin has a knack for locksmithery: he can quickly ascertain the workings of any locking mechanism he encounters, and can devise a way to break into them, whether through simple picking or hotwiring electrical components. There has to be a way for him to physically access, see, or listen to the lock however.

Talents/Hobbies/Skills: Archery, marksmanship, swordplay, persuasion, manipulation, intimidation, forestry, cooking, hunting, locksmithing, tactics, gambling, seduction, light-fingered thievery, drinking, feasting, politics, poetry and music.

Edits:
-Updated "Robin of Loxley" to "Robert of Loxley",
-Made some minor writing improvements and clarifications,
-Updated "Disguise" power description to more accurately portray what I intend,
-Changed skills/interests and job/occupation.
-Added "Picklock" to powers list, added "locksmithing" to interests list.

A few very small little critiques, I'll need you elaborate on what you mean by music... singing? A specific instrument? Also, just to make sure you realize that Merlin brought them all into the modern age.

Does he have a public job beyond being a thief and etc?

Hi, I'd like to join!

Name: ZhengDi - Tao Tie beast from Chinese folklore, known for their greed and literally bottomless stomach.

View attachment 85370

Sexuality: Pansexual

Personality:
Agressive, gloomy, impulsive, loyal, observant, whimsical, shameless.

Occupation/Job:
Mercenary and bodyguard

Powers:
He can eat and digest anything, from titanium to sponge cake. Everything's fair game. Has skin that can be bruised but not penetrated unless with a special weapon. Has small nail-like claws, enhanced vision, sense of smell, and hearing.

Talents/Hobbies/Skills:
Pissing people off, fighting, sleeping through loud noises. Can cook - "I'm gonna eat it anyway, might as well make it taste good."
Usually pushes back his more animalistic instincts, which helps keep his hunger in check.

Brief Story:
ZhengDi, as a Tao Tie, has a very high metabolism. He's glad for his job because it pays well, so he always has money to buy food. If he lets his emotions loose, his stomach will become a bottomless void and with enough time will drive him crazy with hunger.
He's extremely unstable as a teammate, and often ends up doing whatever he wants. However, that won't happen it if his actions will end up harming someone else. He's territorial, but has a very loose concept of others' personal space.
ZhengDi Wasn't born so much as appeared one day, and accidentally injured someone before a mage took him under their wing. He taught Zhengdi as his apprentice and ZhengDi views him as a parental figure of sorts. However, the mage died a few years later, leaving ZhengDi on his own again. He had resisted moving to Lumen at first, unwilling to part with his home and the familiar surroundings.

If anything overlaps with someone else's character or something doesn't work, please tell me!

The problem here is that the move wasn't voluntary, it was a necessity to save everyone from an eldritch being.

The problem here is that the move wasn't voluntary, it was a necessity to save everyone from an eldritch being.
Yeah, ZhengDi REALLY didn't want to leave. He was probably about to fistfight the eldritch being himself if it meant he didn't have to move.
Do you mean that everyone was moved simultaneously with a spell? If so, I could change it to how he wouldn't talk to anyone for weeks after the move.

Yeah, ZhengDi REALLY didn't want to leave. He was probably about to fistfight the eldritch being himself if it meant he didn't have to move.
Do you mean that everyone was moved simultaneously with a spell? If so, I could change it to how he wouldn't talk to anyone for weeks after the move.

You may want to read the premise again. Yes, everyone was moved all at once, instantly.

A few very small little critiques, I'll need you elaborate on what you mean by music... singing? A specific instrument? Also, just to make sure you realize that Merlin brought them all into the modern age.

Does he have a public job beyond being a thief and etc?
Ah, I sort of meant that he was into music—he'd play the guitar and sing. I'll update that.

Not sure, I could give him one if he needed… Do we have a bartender already?

Ah, I sort of meant that he was into music—he'd play the guitar and sing. I'll update that.

Not sure, I could give him one if he needed… Do we have a bartender already?
We do. Finn McCool owns a club and bar.

Ah. Well, perhaps he can be a musician, or maybe a tailor by day.

I don't think we have a tailor yet, but we do have a musician in our resident Nokken, Lachlan. Although there is no monopoly on being a musician, you could choose that if you wanted.

I don't think we have a tailor yet, but we do have a musician in our resident Nokken, Lachlan. Although there is no monopoly on being a musician, you could choose that if you wanted.
Nah, tailor sounds good! I'm gonna have him realize he won the shop in a drunken bet hahaha

Back
Top Bottom