Group RP (Superhero RP) Chaos Comes Calling ~ OOC & Character Thread

Currently reading:
Group RP (Superhero RP) Chaos Comes Calling ~ OOC & Character Thread

Cheshire Cat

Queen of the Parliament of Cats
Local time
Today 4:54 PM
Last edited:
I've updated my characters here to fit the formatting in the IC post and updated some information about them as well. Loren is my preferred. If Vaughn is allowed, I'll write as him, but not as a main, just as a mentor that Vanguard can use.

Name: Loren Dotters
Alias: Magnetron, Blackout, Sai
Physical Description: 5'4" (168 cm), 176 lbs. (80kg), dark blond hair to her ears, green/blue eyes.
Secret Identity: This middle school history teacher appears average in height and a little 'fluffier' in build with a typical outfit consisting of midi skirts over leggings and collared tops.
Alter-Ego: When she was picked up by [insert government agency here] originally, she had a suit that was formfitting and made almost entirely of copper coils so as to maximize her potential to manipulate magnetic fields and even produce powerful electromagnetic waves. At this stage, she was called Magnatron for her seeming functional equivalence to the device that generates EMF, most commonly found in microwaves. She did not take this suit with her when she left the study but remembers how it was constructed… for the most part.

Background Info: Loren was born in [insert subject's hometown here] and grew up with a normal life. About the time after the first aliens arrived, a freak thunderstorm tore across the nation. During this storm, as she driving through the horrible downpour, she lost control of her car, ran off the road and crashed into a power substation. The storm struck the substation, causing it to explode into an inferno, but also continuing to overcharge the area to the point that lightning started to strike outwards and burn out powerlines leading from the station.

Somehow she survived, in critical condition with burns throughout most of her body. It was here she was recovered using a serum derived from a superhero with fast-healing abilities. The serum, which was developed to help people in such critical conditions, did help her survive and recover, but it also altered her body in an unexpected way.

During a moment when she was in tachycardia, the hospital staff attempted to defibrillate. Once applying the pads to Loren's body, the defibrillator started to receive charge from her, charging the device further until it burst into flames. This worked in stabilizing her heart… Coming to, she was and oddity, able to power lightbulbs by holding them, touch the two ends of a plug and power on a vacuum cleaner. Later on, she laughed to a joke, and caused the entire wing of the hospital to go dark for a moment. It was enough of a disruption she was removed from the facility very quickly.

The government, who was testing the serum to begin with, already had eyes on her case, and when she came to, it was realized that she could control electricity. She was offered a very handsome sum, fed all kinds of lines regarding national safety, advancement of human technology and the understanding of her situation, which was something she wanted. The took her into a program that wanted to test her, both the limits of her body (sustaining strikes of lightning) to her abilities (discharging giga volts).

There her manipulation of electrons reached a different direction when they had her generating powerful magnetic fields or insanely strong electromagnetic radiation, microwaves to gamma rays. She was even equipped with a special suit capable of maximizing this potential. During these tests, she was given the nickname Magnetron. She was also tested on her effects on the human body, namely on the human mind. She could detect electric pulses in the brain and could even initiate or maintain certain pulses in regions of the brain, causing someone to black out, see bright lights or… in one case… die.

After that moment, she was unwary of continued participation, but she was still of particular interest. She'd gotten no closer to understanding what happened to her, and the agency was more concerned with what else she could do.

When Legion struck, the agency was gutted for other resources and Loren was released with a handler who eventually fled during the chaos that ensued. She returned home and remained on the family farm for a while until there was the call by those with special powers to join Vanguard.

Powers: Loren can manipulate the flow of electrons, at a basic level. She manipulates the electrical currents in objects, people included, at a short distance of about her own arm's length. The materials must be electrically conductive to most extents in order for her to create voltage and current. The more resistant a material is, the less likely she'll be able to do something with it. She can create enough current and voltage to cause circuits to close, arcing across openings. Her own body is seemingly immune to electricity, at least up to the level of lightning as tested, and it functions as a supercapacitor with a test rating of up to a gigavolt.

Higher Levels of Power: As Loren becomes more powerful, she can manipulate electricity with a higher degree of accuracy and control, directing the flow of electrons through a substance, overcoming greater and greater resistances in materials and able to push current across larger and larger openings. Her ability to generate magnetic fields and even electromagnetic pulses improves. Her influence expands as she grows stronger, ale to affect power systems at far greater distances and even gain dexterity with how she uses her powers, selectively influencing targets with precision.

Name: VaughnArdenson
Alias: Metal Head, "Transformer", calls himself Vaughnguard sometimes.
Physical Description: Vaughn is 6'3" and 340 lbs, dark gray hairs kept short under a bandana with a collar-length full, dark gray beard, brown eyes usually hidden behind welding goggles. The man stands tall, using his size to try and establish dominance or demonstrate his apathy towards most things. He can usually be found in armored biker's gear, outfitted with a lot of metal and chains crossing his body which should seem heavier to wear than what most people would be comfortable with. Vaughn does not change his outfit when out fighting against aliens or Legion remnants, but his typical on-duty attire often involves him encased in a large powered armor fashioned from his motorcycle.

Background Information: Vaughn was born with his powers. He grew up in the foster care system after his parents fought over to either monetize his powers or to cleanse him of his curse. He left that life for one on the streets, in gangs and in crime, where he would stealthily use his powers to get into places, open safes and jack cars. It didn't take long for him to become one of the villains of the world. He was smart, though, keeping himself below most radars and not using his powers to the fullest, nor exploring them all too well. It wasn't until much later when he avenged his mother's murder at the hands of his father by bringing down a building that was under construction. He even left the steel skeleton standing afterwards, but that act caught the attention of superheroes who quickly contained him and brought him in.

A psychic woman, Wraith, was responsible for bringing him in but also the key to his journey towards redemption. As one of the only ones who knew about him and the life he'd led, she saw through into his pain, opening up a relationship to him he'd never thought he'd have with other people who always sought to use him. When Legion attacked, Wraith had Vaughn released in order for him to help. He did, managing to increase his abilities, push his limits as he helped fighting Earth's greatest threat.

Wraith, a woman named Alice, died protecting and saving Vaughn. Angered at the way the superheroes were seemingly throwing their lives uselessly at Legion, Vaughn left the fight. After Legion was defeated, he was approached by a surviving member of the ritual, Helios, who was drained of his power's ability to regulate the fusion reaction within his core. It would eat him away and he needed to be contained before her blew up. Vaughn encased Helios in an osmium shell surrounded by a metal from Legion's own forces, an exotic metal unknown before. As he did this favor for Helios, he was told of Vanguard and decided to join up again with other superheroes, committing himself to honoring Alice's sacrifice.

Powers: Vaughn can mentally shape metal with a simple touch, turning it into other metals, changing other properties about it, such as density, temperature and magnetic influence. His speed at doing this is quick, allowing him to shape bullets as they leave a gun's chamber, shaping a hole in a car as it tries to run him over or turning his speeding motorcycle into a car. He can only change metal into things he's aware of and has handled and learned to manipulate. The complexity of objects he can create can be pretty intricate, such as a working engine or toaster, though something with too many moving parts takes time and usually not something he's keen on doing. His exploits have involved feeling out trains by touching a regional railroad line and wrapping himself up in a mass of metal from city streets to create a giant mech-like suit of armor when battling a superbeast.

Vaughn believes he's at the pinnacle of his abilities. Though progress is rare for him these days, he doesn't stop trying, having recently started getting creative with combining metals into devices, such as working bombs, or creating very fine strands of metal down to the molecular level.

Last edited:
My character, Ember:
  • fire elemental
  • proud
  • outgoing
  • beautiful
  • passionate
  • long, curling black hair, dark blue eyes
  • curvy body shape, long legs and short torso, long neck
  • insecure
  • mischevious; likes to play tricks on people which usually end up backfiring on her
  • hot and cold personality
  • easily triggered, slow to return to calm
  • kind to little kids and animals and generally anything helpless
  • a bit morally grey, is for herself and prioritizes her own needs over the needs of the group at times
  • Pyra's new mortal avatar-- the elementals are supposed to oppose corruption but she is rather morally gray
Powers:
  • Fireproof: skin is superheated when power is active making most weapons/items melt/vaporize upon contact depending on boiling point
  • Throwing Punches: launches bolts of fire when she punches or slashes the air with fists. does not extend to feet/legs.

Last edited:
Marcus Dawn
11CAB2F0-EFFC-402F-9830-95EECE70EDC4.jpeg
Other Names: Mark. The King of Magic (by himself). King Shit (by most Villians who here him intro do himself as King of Magic). Sir Dawn (was technically knighted by the Fairy folk). The Magician...

Mannerisms: (WIP)
Motivations: Prolong his life.
Flaws: Alcoholic. Is cursed by a demon.
Talents: Mixology. Street Magic. (WIP)
Hobbies: (WIP)

Politics: was technically a King in his own right, but doesn't care much for earth politics.
Prejudices: (WIP)
Religion: Has seen evidence of the Gods, but doesn't put Faith in them. Figured they left centuries ago.

Education: (WIP)
Background: (WIP) Was born in a regional town in North Queensland. Had a pretty normal childhood until he had a magical awakening. When learning to harness his powers, he found a doorway to another world. Grew old their, becoming their saviour and king. (Think Narnia) He returned to Earth. No time had passed, and he was still in his young body, but had all the memories of his time in the other world.

Powers: Magic. (WIP)

The only thing I might see a problem with is the 25% thing. Seems high to me. Does any other superhero universe cite similar numbers? A quarter of earth's population... that's greater than the population of the European Union. According to DC, metahumans number only 1.3 million on earth, less than 0.02%. Couldn't easily find Marvel numbers on my phone while trying to put my kids to sleep. ^_^

Thoughts?

Edit: DC's numbers include Superman, Cyborg, Martian Manhunter... so just superheroes in general as well. From wikipedia:

Population
The terms "meta" and "metahuman" do not refer only to humans born with biological variants. Superman and Martian Manhunter (aliens) as well as Wonder Woman (a near-goddess) and Aquaman (an Atlantean) are referred to in many instances as "metahumans." It can refer to anyone with extraordinary powers, no matter the origins and including those not born with such power. According to Countdown to Infinite Crisis, roughly 1.3 million metahumans live on Earth, 99.5% of whom are considered "nuisance-level" (such as kids who can bend spoons with their mind and the old lady "who keeps hitting at Powerball"). The other 0.5% are what Checkmate and the OMACs consider alpha, beta and gamma level threats. For example, Superman and Wonder Woman are categorized as alpha level, while Metamorpho is considered a beta level and Ratcatcher is considered a gamma level.

Last edited:
In My Hero Academia, which granted is a world several generations after the triggering event that caused Quirks (superpowers) to manifest, the percentage of those with Quirks is much higher than those without Quirks. Like 90% or higher to 10% or less. But that's only one universe. :)

*rubs the back of her neck* HOWEVER, I did say that people aren't very accepting of Metahumans, and if the rates are 1 in 4, I could see that not really being any kind of option for people ... there would be supers everywhere. I'm going to lower it to 15% pre-ritual, and think of the ritual as having taken out like ... 2.5%

So now supers are about 14% of the population if 2.5% of the population was wiped and I did math right.

I like superheroes so why not~

Name: Adelaide Denavene
Height: 5'4
Eyes: Violet
Hair: Red

Face claim:
images (1).jpeg

Personality: Adelaide is a hot headed you g woman with a drive for control. She tries her best to keep her temper in check, but usually to no avail. She's not very confident but masks this with ideas of grandeur, putting on a facade of confidence in the face of others she fears could break her down. Tsundere.

Powers: Adelaide to this day still considers her powers as burdens. Despite years of trying to master her powers, they still act up frequency. She has the ability to morph others into terrific beasts. Giant monsters usually. She has to touch them directly, skin to skin contact - and when she does, the original person loses control, still fully conscious within the skin, but unable to do anything besides the goal that Adelaide wants fulfilling. She can only give one task per monster, and once it has been completed, the monster melts away and leaves the person behind, often scared and confused, but physically unharmed.

Clothes: Long sleeved hoodies, grey, with a white heart on her chest. And leggings. She also wears white gloves to avoid Turing people accidentally.

Background
There really isn't much to say. She grew up in a loving family, and was disowned and 18 when she turned her mother into a hideous Cyclops to go and get her some grocery shopping. She now lives alone, working in a pet store, helping people (usually without the end of her powers) in her spare time.

Let me know if this is okay ^-^

In most universes, the rare factor is usually just that, rare. The number of Force users vs non-Force users in Star Wars, percentage of wizards vs muggles or gundam pilots vs non-gundam pilots. If one in 4 or even one in 10 were specials with some form of powers (even if thought of as very minor powers) then we're still talking about a very large minority. Just looking at the US, even black americans represent less than 15% of the population. I understand if that's the way we want to go with it, that's fine. Not a problem. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't an oversight and semi-arbitrarily assigned values for the size of the super population.

(could even suggest that the percentage was reduced to 2.5% after the ritual)

@1Drisa What if SHE can turn into a horrible monster?

@Is it Amy? Oh, no, I see your point right away about it being 25%, but I still want the number of metahumans to be relatively high compared to the normal population. Keeping in mind too that, not all metahumans have the potential to become super powerful, not all metahumans have any interest in doing anything dangerous, too low a number and their numbers might just be suppressed, too high and there would likely be some kind of civil movement or exodus. I think 12.5 after the ritual is a healthy number.

@Cheshire Cat True, true, she could probably also turn herself into a monster with enough practice (of course then she'd also be forced to complete a task without control - same rules apply to her) but it could be one of her fatal flaws perhaps, and thus needs to learn martial arts to defend herself when she can't rely on her powers.
Also goodnight XD

@Is it Amy? Oh, no, I see your point right away about it being 25%, but I still want the number of metahumans to be relatively high compared to the normal population. Keeping in mind too that, not all metahumans have the potential to become super powerful, not all metahumans have any interest in doing anything dangerous, too low a number and their numbers might just be suppressed, too high and there would likely be some kind of civil movement or exodus. I think 12.5 after the ritual is a healthy number.

So what about the breakdown of the meta population? Classification of metas based on their powers and potentials? Going off of DC's figures, we're talking about 4.2 million people who have at least Ratcatcher level powers (he can telepathically control rats and train them to do things for him). That's a LOT of people. So is the breakdown similar to that of meh-level abilities to wow-level abilities? Are the most mundane of supers/metas able to touch something hot without really getting that burned, seem to have better than average immune systems or even are just star athletes without anyone noticing?

I just updated my character(s) post in this thread to the new formatting.

11cab2f0-effc-402f-9830-95eece70edc4-jpeg.6713

Name:
Marcus Dawn
Alias or Nickname: The Wizard.
Physical Description: -
Secret Identity ~ Marcus Dawn is often seen dressed in what can only be described as Casual Elegance. Often seen wearing nice jeans, a dress shirt, and a vest. Marcus is about six feet tall and of a rather lean build. He is often seen with a drink in his hand. Mostly for the Aesthetic it creates. He appears very wealthy and is a famous show magician.

Alter-Ego ~ The Wizard is an oddity. Lacking any real costume, Marcus uses a simple charm to alter how he is recognised. People will still see Marcus Dawn, but all but the strongest of minds can recognise him as Marcus, normal folk see him as The Wizard. Probably his greatest trick. Being two people who look exactly the same, while making everyone think there are different people.

Background Info: Marcus Dawn was born in a regional town in North Queensland, Australia. A pretty normal life, on most accounts. His parents were moderately well off and sent him to a good school. It wasn't until he was thirteen that life really set him on the Hero Path. When he was thirteen, he woke up in Zeograla. A realm of magic. Similar to a High Fantasy setting. Coincidently, Zeograla was waiting on a saviour from another realm. They believed it to be Marcus. Marcus was then raised in this Fantasy realm, being groomed and trained to be their saviour. He saved the Kindom from the impending doom and lived out his life as their King. Had a family, made good friends. Lived a full life. Then, as he drifted off into the eternal sleep of old age, he woke up back on Earth. No time had passed on earth, and he again in his thirteen-year-old body. Since then, he started showing signs of magic on Earth. It was not as strong as it was on Zeograla, but it was definitely there. When he was eighteen, he struggled with substance abuse. Trying to forget his wife and children he left behind on Zeograla, and try and find a way back. To fund his habit, he started doing tricks for money and was pretty good. It wasn't until he was twenty when he met his Earth Mentor. A powerful Wizard from Earth, who began teaching Marcus how to best utilise his magic on Earth, and how to use it for good. He since has started working as a Hero part-time, to keep his conscience clean. When he was twenty-three, he was trying to banish a demon but failed to do so on his own. As a result, the Demon branded him with a Demon Brand. Marcus joined up with Legion after his Mentor vanished. In hopes of finding a way to extend his life.
Powers: Magic. The way Marcus uses magic is rather special. Due to being in a magical realm for more than eighty years, Marcus's cells are saturated with magical energy. Making him rather adept at magic. However, due to the Demon Brand, there is an infernal taint in his spells. Often undetectable by anyone but the strongest spellcasters. However, it is getting stronger, as Marcus edges closer to Hell. Because of the Hell Brand, Marcus only has five more years to live without divine intervention.
Earth Magic is broken up into several schools.
  • Abjuration - The Power to Protect and Heal
  • Conjuration - The Power to Transport Living and Non-Living things
  • Divination - The Power to Gain Information
  • Enchantment - The Power to Influence Minds/Emotions
  • Illusion - The Power to Create Illusions
  • Nature - The Power to Control the Forces of the Natural world for a variety of effects
  • Necromancy - The Power to Manipulate Death
  • Transmutation - The Power to Transform Living and Non-Living things
Magic isn't some godly force though. There is always a price. Always. Always make sure you know what the price is, it will come back to haunt you. It will be paid, one way or another. The price can range from something as insignificant as the magical energy required to activate your magic, a part of your sanity, or even something devastating, like your own life, or worse. Magic is balance, meaning the benefits it provides may result in consequences to offset it.

3d9c06ba-8580-437c-af9b-b3ed97020a17-jpeg.6710

53612cdf-f5fd-409a-84b7-457099446b54-jpeg.6711

764e85ac-2b1c-4810-912d-53478cdffea6-jpeg.6712

a3907160-2fd5-46c8-a6ec-c1bd555c45b8-jpeg.6714

Back
Top Bottom