All The Band (Signup and OOC)

Currently reading:
All The Band (Signup and OOC)

Name: Otigrax "Oti" Nyiltixish
Species: Dragonborn
Class: Monk
Height: 6'10"
Band placement: Lead guitarist, backup/secondary vocal (growling/tenor).

Personality: An extremely uptight Lawful Good, Otigrax is constantly trying to temper his own strong emotions and sense of justice with monkish teachings and meditation, with mixed results. However, his strong and emotional principles don't prevent him from having a good time: he's a hard drinker and loves music, theater, dancing, and flirting (although when push comes to shove he is pretty shy). He is an easy conversationalist but tends to over-share, and although Otigrax desperately wants more connection with others, he finds it difficult to hold on to trust. Like most monks, he holds a deep appreciation for nature, and is happiest in the echoing mountains.

Powers: Has elemental resistance, and can breathe different types of destructive energy in a 15 foot cone—the element depending on the vibe of the song they're playing.

The Instrument: His electric guitar (finely smithed by gnomes and powered by an enchanted piece of amber), which has two modes—"Chords", which gives everyone advantage on saving throws, and "Shred", which a chance to stun opponents.

Backstory/Stuff you need to know: Otigrax was born to a family of Dragonborn peasants who lived in a village near a volcano chain. Not long after he was born, a minor eruption wiped out part of the village and most of the surrounding fields and forests. Fortunately, his family escaped with their lives, but the devastation ruined their livelihood. Seeing no other choice as they were no longer able to feed the toddler Otigrax, they handed him off to a band of passing monks looking for novices.

Otigrax grew up in the monastery, raised by the older monks he worked, trained, and meditated alongside. Ironically to people who know him now, he was something of a troublemaker—emotionally turbulent and pent up, separated from family, forced into a vegetarian diet he hated, and increasingly disgusted with the corrupt and venal world around him, Oti would act out frequently in ways ranging from harmless pranks and delinquency to destructive rampages fueled by hormones and/or binge-drinking—all his reactions to what he perceived as evil and injustice. The monastery leadership tried to contain or at least mitigate his chaos by moving him around from place to place, but that just made the problem worse as it stopped him from making the home and long term friends Otigrax really needed. As Oti reached into adulthood, he mellowed out ever so slightly, but was still on the edge of being booted from the monastery for his antics.

But then, a remarkable incident would change Oti's life forever. One cold winter night, a band of Gnomish artificers sought shelter from a blizzard in the monastery Otigrax happened to be working at for the solstice. One of them, an engineer by the name of Zindira Loudfront, showed Otigrax a remarkable construct that he had never seen before: a colorful, metal stringed, resin-coated guitar which, when powered by a magical spirit sealed in amber, produced a unique and powerful sound. It was a sound that Otigrax immediately fell in love with: he frequently played the guitar and lyre, and while they were useful outlets and he became quite skilled, they were only a fraction of the power of this new device. Zindira was no musician, she was an engineer and a businesswoman: the gnome was perfectly willing to part with the instrument, for a price. Unfortunately, it was a price that Otigrax couldn't pay… not without pilfering the temple's sacred treasury. In the heat of the moment, overwhelmed by the possibilities, that is exactly what Otigrax did—to his everlasting regret and shame. He stole nearly two thousand gold from the only people in memory who had ever given him home.

The monks discovered this and tried to arrest both Otigrax and the gnomes who tempted him into their unforgivable crime, but they dashed into the storm, leaving their pursuers behind. Instinctively using the electric guitar, shredding a metallic power ballad, he was able to stun the warrior-monks chasing them down and to reinforce the strength of his comrades as they fought through the storm. Eventually they made it out, although the Dragonborn and the gnomes quickly parted—he wasn't one of them, and they were all wanted for something HE did. It was for the best.

Disgusted with his own actions, lost and alone, Otigrax now wanders the earth with his magical guitar, trying to find a purpose and to redeem himself for his mistakes. Still, he has hope—both in his own strength of spirit, and in this new machine he holds, which has the power to shred like never before.

Last edited:
I don't know a whole lot about music myself or being in a band, though I attempted to play a few instruments (trumpet, flute, mom's clarinet) in 5th grade. Didn't get my mom's musical talent. But I'd be interested in joining if that is alright. Not sure what instrument I would play...maybe bass guitar or clarinet. I was thinking like a vampiric ghoulish half-dragon...the ghoul part being the result of a curse or genetic experiments but is the child of a vampire & dragon. They'd be a bit of a challenge to have around due to being controlled by both blood lust and an insatiable appetite for flesh/blood & their more feral instincts as a result of the curse or genetics. But I see there's five people already interested in this/part of this group so good luck regardless.
I don't mean to speak for Five, but I don't think it would be totally crazy to have a sixth member in the band—that might just be one of me though.

We can add a sixth member, yeah. I was just trying to set a limit to make the group more manageable.

Sorry leaving for a family gathering right now, so, I might be unreachable until later. But yeah, if the consensus is for @ZAlcyoneus to join now, then go ahead and make a character sheet whenever you're able. I know it might be busy for folks today and tomorrow.

Okay. I'll make my character be a band member/roadie.

Name: Nuronirth Riquier

Species: Vampire Dragon

Height: 5'6" (human sized)/7'5" (vampire dragon form)/4' (dragon)

Weight: 140 lbs; maybe about 250 lbs (hybrid form)/320 lbs (dragon)

Hair Color: White

Skin/Scale Color: Pale/Black Scales (human)/black & green scales (dragon)

Eye Color: Crimson-Golden Yellow

Build: Lean Muscular/bulky (dragon)

Sexuality: Bisexual

Class: Rogue Ranger

Role: Band Member/Roadie

Instrument: Clarinet Harp

1703488174155.jpeg

Appearance: His body looks to be a mix of human and dragon, with pale skin and fangs. His hair is usually loose or done up in a top knot or ponytail. Black scales cover some of his face, hands, and left side of his body with some across his shoulders. His hands and feet are paws while the nails were replaced with short talon-like claws that are black in appearance with wings coming from his shoulders, while one eye is golden yellow and has a reptilian pupil, his other eye is crimson and resembles a human. Filing some of his teeth down to points, his fangs can grow longer when hungry but are usually short when not feeding. His scales provide some protection against bites or weapons due to being thick and hard and there are black horns on his head with tapered draconic ears. If adopting his hybrid form, his skin is replaced by black and green scales. Though capable of flight his wings become cumbersome due to being 8-ft in length and he tends to keep them folded. His body becomes draconic in appearance when turning into his hybrid form with stripes of white extending from the top of his eyes, flowing down his skull to his tail. He only uses this when he needs to fight, but his claws get in the way of his playing music as they grow longer. Obtaining an overall length of 16-ft with a body length of 5-ft, a neck length of 5-ft, a tail length of 6-ft, a body width of 3-ft and a wingspan of 16-ft when turning into a dragon, as he ages it will grow longer and taller yet he still presents something of intimidation.

Personality: Considered unstable and dangerous without guidance, he has a craving for rare and raw meat and an insatiable hunger. Sadistic and cunning, he hates witches/magic users due to his past yet feels shunned and hated, finding it hard to hide his looks so often wears cloaks and flowing clothing. He values modesty and independence, not thinking it appropriate to control the course another being wishes to take. He enjoys flying and will often spend hours flying or scaring people by turning into shadows, utilizing his heritage to help both hunt for nourishment (blood/meat) and take down targets. He is decent with mechanics and enjoys putting stuff back together and tinkering with things to see how they work. Nuronirth enjoys entertaining and being free though he is aware his appearance and his curse make him a danger to others. Ever since his mother was killed, he's been on his own, living on the streets and shunned for his appearance and only on stage does he feel comfortable in his skin but tends to not believe people aren't full of ulterior motives so he waits and then strikes, often hanging upside down and sleeping that way. Even though he can come out in the day, he tends to settle for a more nocturnal clock due to his eyes being sensitive to light due to his shadow dragon heritage. He found solace in music and discovered he was good at a quartet, training himself with self study and lessons.

History: Born on a solar eclipse close to the winter solstice, a child was born to a female vampire named Chandra and a shadow dragon named Keogheicrerth who could take on human form to avoid being hunted himself, his mother being of the coven Necrosis Shroud and a purebred vampire. His mother attempted to hide her son from her clan as well as who his father was but was unsuccessful. As punishment Keogheicrerth was hunted down and killed by the coven with her and him being banished though she was given the right to remain if he were put to death. His mother refused and accepted banishment but it slowly grew to be too much for her and she walked into the sunlight. Finding himself on the streets, he stole and scavenged, unable to hunt for himself due to getting no lessons, his Umbrakinesis not activating until his teen years. Shunned for his appearance and hunted or chased, he turned into his hybrid form for the first time and out of desperation attacked and killed another child which he cannibalized. This turned out to be a mistake for the child's parents captured the feral boy and took him to a witch who cursed the boy into a ghoul after trying to exorcise him of his spirit. This caught the interest and attention of an ancient vampire who took the child to a guild where he became a foundling…an apprentice assassin. His master was a harsh and stern aged creature, not afraid of physical punishment but taught the young boy how to harness his turning in and out of his hybrid form. On his fourteenth birthday, he was sent out on a solo mission…but it went wrong and his mentor perished when having to rescue Nuronirth and he ran away once more, shunned from the guild when they found out he had consumed his master's blood, refusing to to hear that his master had allowed it due to Nuronirth being starved as his master was dying, the blood a chance to get enough strength to flee. Hunting and scavenging once more, he faded into shadow until he joined a traveling circus on his 21st Yule, eventually leaving the summer of his thirty-first birthday. He's also done work as an assassin and entertainer only recently joining the band as they needed his skills in tech and repairing things.

Powers:

• Umbrakinesis-He can create, shape and manipulate darkness and shadows. Darkness is mostly used to cloud everything into total darkness, but can also be channeled to a variety of effects, both as an absence of light and a solid substance: one can also control and manipulate the beings that exist there, create and dispel shields and areas of total darkness, create constructs and weapons, teleport one's self through massive distances via shadows, etc. Electricity Manipulation, Light Manipulation, Light Generation, and other light based powers are especially effective against this power.
  • Shadow Breath-He able to generate and manipulate darkness/shadow within them in a way that allows them to shape the exhaling of the effect. These shapes can include bursts, streams, spheres, even a mist of it from the mouth. It is weak against those who can manipulate light or pure energy/light elementals. Shadow Breath can damage his mouth if it is closed while discharging and he cannot use this power if his throat is damaged.
  • Darkness Mimicry-He can transform his body completely into darkness/shadows. He can assume a two-dimensional form, extend outward to become a larger shadow, blend into the darkness/shadows completely, or even teleport through them. He gains impressive control over his form and vast capacity to expel energy in various ways. However, this is hard to keep control of and light can harm him as well as heat. Sometimes he moves like roiling storm clouds in this form or take on a shadow dragon form. If he becomes a shadow dragon, he can become corporal but cannot use his music and may become feral as his curse and blood are amplified. Sometimes he can bend light in this form, making him more difficult to see but it depends on his health.
  • Limited Shapeshifting: Only into his hybrid and full draconic forms but if he's unconscious tends to revert back to his regular body. Turning into his dragon form, his body grows in mass but he shrinks in height, gaining in length instead. Painful shifting as his body rearranges itself, his sanity and intelligence turn more animalistic. Unfortunately, in his full dragon form he becomes clumsy even though he is medium sized and cannot run for long periods of time with his mass becoming noticeably heavier.
Curses: Cursed to be a ghoul due to a mistake as a child; oddly this allows him to handle cursed weapons and objects. Downside is he cannot handle holy objects at all as they burn/poison him. Because of his past, he keeps some cursed weapons on him including dual sun moon Chakram, a pair of fans, two sets of daggers with some shuriken and a cursed sword.

Notes:

His vampire blood allows him to feed on blood and life force yet his dragon blood makes him impervious to daylight and able to consume food while his mother learned how to retain the ability to eat food as well. His wings allow him the ability to fly and glide yet if they are damaged or torn off, he cannot achieve this until they grow back with his wings being able to be used as a shield. He cannot enter a home at all without an invitation, though garlic, crosses/other religious artifacts, and crossing or being submerged in running water don't affect him. Entering holy areas, be they a monastery to a church or ancient burial grounds with religious significance can forcefully bind his shadow heritage and either paralyze him or kill him if he stays longer than an hour, though often it just throws him out along with paralysis.

Last edited:
Hi hi, band mates! 🤘💯 I hope those who celebrate had a good holiday and that everyone has had a good past few days.

I got everything in here organized with links and threadmarks to character sheets. Everything looks good. I think we have a good crew that will be fun working off each other. A little update: Riff's character will be a standby member as she'll be temporarily unavailable. So, we'll save the spot for her. I think it might be funny if as we're traveling, we're constantly looking for a drummer and it's like this running plot point. So, when she chooses to return, we have her druid gal sign up to our band.

That said, we've got our sheets, so, now is the time to spit ball plot ideas. Tell me what your thoughts are first. Do you like a sort of wandering thing where we just go from town to town helping get rid of monsters and stuff? Or do you want a bigger farther story that we're aiming towards? Either one appeals to me. I thought it would be fun to explore the typical fantasy merc group but wearing a rockband paradigm. Like we're not just brothers in arms, it's about the music. XD

So, I am happy enough just interacting, taking quests/gigs and succeeding and failing and discovering our lore as we go.

One obvious plot that jumps out to me is a "Tenacious D" sort of deal where we have to out-rock some devil or eldritch god. Maybe, like, their minions are out there tearing shit up to/with rock music, and we have to clear the genre's name?

I love that! Kinda go with the music theme and lean into it as relevant to this world and the beasts we're battling.

Ohh! Maybe the eldritch god also has a cult? And if they find all sections of a fabled cursed piece of music, they can summon this deity? I can see us inadvertently collecting all the pieces, thinking it is some challenge with a legendary status or prize upon being able to master the song once it is fully assembled. And we maybe don't learn until it is too late that the piece we've been collecting and practicing is actually a summoning device?

Once we've assembled all the pieces of the song, we look over the instructions and realise that it specifies that the sacrifice lead vocalist has to be a princess. At which point Morga, large angry orc barbarian, has to sheepishly point out that as the daughter of the closest thing orcs have to a king she is sort of a princess.

Those both sound like good ideas and fun to me. There could each be a piece or two pieces of a fabled cursed piece that each character has to collect...could be because they're cursed, that they need Nuronirth's help to handle the cursed pieces due to being cursed himself, at least maybe to identify these are cursed pieces but not knowing what the curse is or does. But I can see this eldritch god having a cult. All the big bad baddies do. As for story...we could have big bad plot with these cursed musical pieces/summn eldritch god and little smaller plots too centering around the group and separate characters as a whole to make things interesting.

Hi hi, band mates! 🤘💯 I hope those who celebrate had a good holiday and that everyone has had a good past few days.

I got everything in here organized with links and threadmarks to character sheets. Everything looks good. I think we have a good crew that will be fun working off each other. A little update: Riff's character will be a standby member as she'll be temporarily unavailable. So, we'll save the spot for her. I think it might be funny if as we're traveling, we're constantly looking for a drummer and it's like this running plot point. So, when she chooses to return, we have her druid gal sign up to our band.

That said, we've got our sheets, so, now is the time to spit ball plot ideas. Tell me what your thoughts are first. Do you like a sort of wandering thing where we just go from town to town helping get rid of monsters and stuff? Or do you want a bigger farther story that we're aiming towards? Either one appeals to me. I thought it would be fun to explore the typical fantasy merc group but wearing a rockband paradigm. Like we're not just brothers in arms, it's about the music. XD

So, I am happy enough just interacting, taking quests/gigs and succeeding and failing and discovering our lore as we go.

In answer to this, I like the idea of us failing and succeeding at stuff. Succeeding at everything will get boring after a while and we're bound to fail especially as we get used to each other, even if the band has been together for a bit. We and have to get used to each other's powers and work as a team, yet maybe called to do things alone. Like….say there's a narrow space to get in it through…our dummer might be the only one able to infiltrate by turning into a mouse or my character who can turn into darkness itself. So we'd have to get in while the others provide lookout/cover outside.

Hmmm why not do both? The elder itch cult thing or even somehow bigger plot to be discussed but they need money so also go from town to town trying to help out where they can, maybe proving not all monsters are bad or at least they aren't bad…even though that isn't exactly true for five's character or mine with eating people/having a desire to and possibly distrusted due to such thoughts or actions at least on my character's part.

Once we've assembled all the pieces of the song, we look over the instructions and realise that it specifies that the sacrifice lead vocalist has to be a princess. At which point Morga, large angry orc barbarian, has to sheepishly point out that as the daughter of the closest thing orcs have to a king she is sort of a princess.

Ohh, I really like that! And that makes sense too if her royalty/bloodline has conferred upon her some of her powers, yeah?

Those both sound like good ideas and fun to me. There could each be a piece or two pieces of a fabled cursed piece that each character has to collect...could be because they're cursed, that they need Nuronirth's help to handle the cursed pieces due to being cursed himself, at least maybe to identify these are cursed pieces but not knowing what the curse is or does. But I can see this eldritch god having a cult. All the big bad baddies do. As for story...we could have big bad plot with these cursed musical pieces/summn eldritch god and little smaller plots too centering around the group and separate characters as a whole to make things interesting.

That sounds good. I like the idea of the things being intertwined. Like, the collection of the pieces of music involved 5 different quests/fights that highlight each of our band members' strengths and some demon from the past we each gotta overcome or deal with. And agreed about successes and failures.

I'm not keen on the battle of the bands idea. At least not in a big multiple bands way. I originally thought of this idea where we are the ONLY musical mercenary group of monster slayers/adventurers, so, we're bringing this unique slant to this world where they normally just have straight up wizards and barbarians and stuff. Maybe we even get made fun of a little bit.

But if this eldritch entity needs a song to be perfectly performed in order to be summoned, it would make sense if the cultists were part of their own type of band, right? And I do like the idea of after we've had a few wins and a loss, we encounter another merc band out there who have copied our idea and think they can do it better, stealing some of our thunder and notoriety. Maybe that could be a battle of the bands type thing? Where we have some of the bits of song, the cultists have a piece or two and the rival band have a couple pieces and we have to play them for it, winner takes all.(and again, we would not be aware that the cursed music piece is a summoning device).

How do we meet/become a music rock band? I think that's the biggest crucial thing we should figure out before we go ahead and start posting.

A. We start rp with us forming the band and meeting. Riff had this idea about a bulletin board in a tavern that we might have seen looking for group (maybe my character put it up?) Maybe everyone misinterprets it as being for a musical group. But when we meet and Uther finds out everybody can fight really well too, he's just like, "Yeah ok. That works." XD

Or B. We already met offscreen/pre-opening post and we start writing the rp after we've either just started traveling together or we've been with each other for at least a week or two. And our group found the music by accident? Like, they were looking for a group to do the same thing: kill monsters, make some cash, become heroes, retire if we don't die in 15 years or so, etc. But then getting wasted one night, they start jamming together and trash an inn room through music amplified magic or something. Or maybe one of us uses our musical gifts to amplify our attacks during one of our first battles together and it helps defeat the monster and afterwards, the rest of the group is like, "That was some sick sound! You know, I play the keyboard/sing/play the clarinet-harp, etc."

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

I like A better—offscreen meetups always are kinda meh for me. It would also be fun I think if an impromptu audition started, so characters could show off their quirks and skills beforehand ^^

Ohh, I really like that! And that makes sense too if her royalty/bloodline has conferred upon her some of her powers, yeah?

That sounds good. I like the idea of the things being intertwined. Like, the collection of the pieces of music involved 5 different quests/fights that highlight each of our band members' strengths and some demon from the past we each gotta overcome or deal with. And agreed about successes and failures.

My conception of Morga's magic is that she's channeling the power of the orcish ancestor spirits of rock and metal amplified by using her mace as a microphone, but maybe those ancestors will only allow someone they respect to use their power like a legendary warrior or a warlord's children.

Also, I just had an idea spring to mind for an alternative scenario where Morga being technically royalty might come up. What if the band needs at some point to get into a fancy venue like a party at a king's palace, and the only way they'll get let in is if Morga to her chagrin introduces herself as 'Princess Bloodtusk of the Orcs'. But she also needs to dress and act like a 'real' princess and follow all of the proper etiquette, at which point hilarity ensues.

How do we meet/become a music rock band? I think that's the biggest crucial thing we should figure out before we go ahead and start posting.

A. We start rp with us forming the band and meeting. Riff had this idea about a bulletin board in a tavern that we might have seen looking for group (maybe my character put it up?) Maybe everyone misinterprets it as being for a musical group. But when we meet and Uther finds out everybody can fight really well too, he's just like, "Yeah ok. That works." XD

Or B. We already met offscreen/pre-opening post and we start writing the rp after we've either just started traveling together or we've been with each other for at least a week or two. And our group found the music by accident? Like, they were looking for a group to do the same thing: kill monsters, make some cash, become heroes, retire if we don't die in 15 years or so, etc. But then getting wasted one night, they start jamming together and trash an inn room through music amplified magic or something. Or maybe one of us uses our musical gifts to amplify our attacks during one of our first battles together and it helps defeat the monster and afterwards, the rest of the group is like, "That was some sick sound! You know, I play the keyboard/sing/play the clarinet-harp, etc."

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

I prefer A better as well.

Added a backstory for Otigrax by the way!

Nerds: "he stole from his people but he's Lawful Good? doesn't that make his actions hypocritical—"
Me, through gritted teeth: "YES. THAT IS THE POINT. PEOPLE ARE MULTITUDES."

Back
Top Bottom