Both Needed 3 Projects Chosen By Vote! (Poll Now Closed, Applicants Still Welcome)

Currently reading:
Both Needed 3 Projects Chosen By Vote! (Poll Now Closed, Applicants Still Welcome)

Which three ideas appeal to you the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Actually, SINCE it's still in the building phase, I have a question to anyone who is interested in the Superhero RP. For one thing, what scale should we be building heroes for? Do you want to be protecting a city, a country, the planet, the cosmos? I want a mostly level playing field when it comes to powers, at least in theory (no sourcebooks or rigorous research, promise), so we need to decide whether we're ... the lantern corps, the avengers, the birds of prey ... y'know ... scale :p

Also atmosphere! Do we want like ... DC Golden Age squeaky, or a story as dark as Marvel's Ultimate continuity, or something more cerebral like Watchmen's multi-layer intrigue?

I'm not familiar enough with some of those examples for scaling them.
Defenders-level? X-men? I have a cast of heroes I can pull from for myself, from time-jumping heroes, to a dude that just warps and shapes metal. So I could fit scale if others have better ideas. My first instinct is to play it on the lower-side of power levels.

Think of it like ... Spiderman is your friendly neighbourhood Spiderman, I don't think he's ever fought Galactus. When you fight Galactus, you call in Captain Marvel, The Fantastic Four, The Beyonder. Similarly, you don't call Thor to stop a mugger ...

in other words, Batwoman wouldn't go toe-to-toe with Darkseid, but Superman or Shazam would, While Green Lantern is likely to be protecting the world from planetary threats, not stopping purse-snatchers.

Do we want to stop purse snatchers, or do we want to stop inter-dimensional metahuman armies? I have a character in mind that I can scale to either scenario, but knowing whether we want to focus on the streets, or the world, will help me in providing useful information, make viable settings ... y'know, if we're stopping cosmic-level threats, we need a watchtower-style space-station meeting place. If we patrol our own city, we need a warehouse we're using illegally, or someone's mom's basement :p It will also determine what kind of power scale our characters should be working with. I don't want us having a bunch of gritty, street-savvy characters trying to keep up with a bunch of gods. We're working with a broad fan-base :p

Personally, I like the idea of them all starting small. Like maybe they unite, help save a city like the Avengers, but then something catastrophic happens and they're forced to suit up and maybe save the world. But then again, we can have characters that have been doing this whole hero thing for years now and in turn, we can have some wide-eyed newbies. I just think that it'd be good to mix it up a little.

How about scaling upwards? Start with a city and scale up to region and then a country as our characters develop their power advancements? I have an electrokinetic super hero that could easily change in power scales as such an ability can just more powerful.

How about scaling upwards? Start with a city and scale up to region and then a country as our characters develop their power advancements? I have an electrokinetic super hero that could easily change in power scales as such an ability can just more powerful.
I was thinking the same thing! You jut worded it better lol

What if us small town heroes are called to save the world after the big names get taken out of action? Like maybe they are captured or whatnot.
And that's SO COOL. Maybe the bad guy that took the first assortment of hero's down can return for the new ones? Maybe some of the characters can have relations with some of the older heroes? WHo know?

What if us small town heroes are called to save the world after the big names get taken out of action? Like maybe they are captured or whatnot.

It could start that small town heroes are called into an organization because the big names were either taken out, and thus more senior members who are still around are filling in for there and need backfills, or the big names are taking larger and larger scale issues and that leaves the smaller areas in need of coverage? I'm still of the idea of starting smaller with our powers just barely scratching their full potentials.

Though! I could see us starting off with something large in scale and then dialing it back once that crisis is over and going about our "day jobs" as city-protectors.

Alright, some good ideas floating around.

If we synthesize all of them together, I think we get something like this;

Something happened. A major event, crisis, villain eliminated, in one way or another, the strongest superheroes the earth had to offer. Now the world is falling to crime and chaos once more, and a call has been put out, a rallying cry for heroes of any power-level to lend their help, for anyone capable of upholding justice to do so.

The team comes together, deals with a few crises at a national level, and are then drawn into something much larger when a planetary-level threat presents itself.

The characters would be coming from normal lives, working jobs, etc, to being full time superheroes, members of an organization, who will be paid, and have to live in a facility from which they can be dispatched. It will be kind of a ... big-brother ... slice-of-life ... juxtaposed with action and consequence, with the option to pepper in intrigue stories. I should clarify that this isn't going to be just one plot arch and done. It's kind of a sandbox setting where stories can take place, like an episodic we all get to affect ^_^

(accidentally) started working with Lo DeBale on a fire element girl.

"The pyre would probably choose a proud, outgoing and beautiful type with lost of passion," they said.
So:
  • fire element
  • proud
  • outgoing
  • beautiful
  • passionate
  • long, curling black hair, dark blue eyes (breaking these redhead sTeReOtYpEs)
Also:
  • insecure
  • hot and cold personality
  • easily triggered, slow to return to calm
  • kind to little kids and animals and generally anything helpless
  • a bit of a morally grey chara
  • Pyra's new mortal avatar-- the elementals are supposed to oppose corruption but they chose the wrong vessel....(?!)
Powers:
  • Fireproof: skin is superheated when power is active making most weapons/items melt/vaporize upon contact depending on boiling point
  • Throwing Punches: (ok, lame name but w/evs) launches bolts of fire when she punches or slashes the air with fists. does not extend to feet/legs.

Last edited:
I feel like setting up some backstory with some characters. It would be SO COOL if we already had some history between our superhero'd characters!!
RIGHT?! like maybe they've all breezed through the same school before but haven't really interacted with one another. OR just a couple of them could've been distant classmates.

I do feel that having a history together would make it easier for the characters to develop, or even introduce one another. Tis up to ya'll tho.

...I feel so active. Feel like I should stop.
*was confused for running the thread so. point proven.*

*decides to go for it anyway lol*

Superhero Academy or is that too cliche???

With regards to the powers, think of them more in terms of ... what kind of effects you can produce? Fire is a medium, what can you do with it? Can you protect yourself, become fire, control existing fire, throw fire blasts, channel fire with your kung fu, etc.

It will KIND of be a superhero academy RP, but for it to be an ACTUAL academy, we'd need someone who wanted to play the roll of mentor ... and I dun wanna :p

...I feel so active. Feel like I should stop.
*was confused for running the thread so. point proven.*

*decides to go for it anyway lol*

Superhero Academy or is that too cliche???
Mmm, I think that that's a bit much. Also, it constricts a lot of other people from playing who they want. Like, maybe someone wants to play someone older? I do however, like Cheshire's idea of having them all live together, kinda like the whole "Friends" ordeal but without the punchlines.

With regards to the powers, think of them more in terms of ... what kind of effects you can produce? Fire is a medium, what can you do with it? Can you protect yourself, become fire, control existing fire, throw fire blasts, channel fire with your kung fu, etc.

It will KIND of be a superhero academy RP, but for it to be an ACTUAL academy, we'd need someone who wanted to play the roll of mentor ... and I dun wanna :p
So to be more specific... I like the fire skin shield idea... like anything that touches her skin when power is active just gets singed/melted/vaporized. That's hot! And throw fire balls combined with martial arts. Yea yea.

Uhmmm NPCs?

Back
Top Bottom