Group RP A New World Order (OOC) (OPEN FOR 1-2 MORE)

Currently reading:
Group RP A New World Order (OOC) (OPEN FOR 1-2 MORE)

Mazulla

Professional Lurker
Local time
Today 11:33 AM
Hi'ya, I'm Mazulla, or Maz. Welcome to our OOC thread for a gifted/post-apocalypse/futuristic RP.
This is a continuation of a roleplay started in January on another site with couple other partners. A detailed summary is posted on the main thread, along with our character sheets.

Currently open to adding 1-2 others.

RP THREAD:

https://writerssanctum.com/threads/a-new-world-order.9191/

GUIDELINES:

1. 3rd person and no one-liners. Whenever possible, I'd like to see at least 2-3 paragraphs. I usually post 3+ myself. (Exceptions such as action scenes)
  2. I tend to post anywhere from 1-3 times per week and that's how often I'd like in return. If it occasionally goes beyond a week, I'm not gonna lose my shit, but, if you're able, I do ask that you pop in and at least say "hi" and give a quick heads up.
  3. I'm pretty easy-going. If you have questions, suggestions to improve on the plot/setting, sub-plots, or other ideas for the roleplay in general, please feel free to share. Nothing is set in stone. In fact, I like people to contribute to world building and collaborate as I don't want to carry the full weight of the success of an RP on my shoulders.
  4. Romance is all good, however, I want this to be a story-driven RP and smut is not the focus. Preference is a "fade-to-black" approach.
  5. Darker elements and violence are all good. It's in Poe's Corner for a reason.
  6. You do your character, everyone else does theirs. Don't godmode or powerplay.
THE GIFTED
  • May have one primary ability.
  • May have one secondary, supporting or passive ability (optional) that coordinates well with the primary ability.
  • May have physical mutations. Preferred: No animal mutations, unless the animal mutation counts as an ability. (Example: Wings or ears) Must still coordinate if two abilities; a neko woman with ice powers is not coordinated.
NEW WORLD ORDER:

Over the course of several years, people with special abilities and mutations were manifesting throughout the world with increasing frequency. While the majority of these "gifted" were passive, law-abiding citizens, there were a few individuals that would cause them to be viewed in a negative light and garnered the most worldwide media attention.

Governments and the general public feared lack of control, predictability and compliance. A tech company called "Enfield Corp." was commissioned to develop a mandatory implant for the gifted. Containing information from their location and abilities, to their appearance and family relations, the implants were inserted into their upper back; a way to monitor them without resulting to complete preventive custody.

However, there were reports of other governments going to more extreme measures, indiscriminately locking up all gifted for their own good and for the public's, regardless of the danger they posed. Drugs were developed to suppress their abilities until they could come to another solution for this "problem" they were facing.

While these actions maintained control for some time, fear of the gifted was rampant, affecting even the law-abiding citizens who voluntarily received the implant and were allowed to lead "normal" lives. Their new "normal" was the requirement for disclosure or scanning for a chip; many people refused everything from basic services, jobs, and even flights or other transportation based on the dangerous abilities they possessed. Compliance with the new laws in effect didn't matter in their eyes.

Four years ago, many in the gifted community, and humans sympathetic to their cause, rebelled in a movement calling themselves the "Eclipse." What began as random attacks to gain governments' attention and bring them to the table to negotiate, it eventually escalated to devastating, coordinated attacks that overthrew major world governments – UK, US, China – and the remaining followed. Eclipse established a new world order – one in which both normal humans and the gifted could live together. Forming a kind of "world council," its worthy members were selected to govern various regions around the world.

Presently, in what could be considered a post-apocalyptic era, the world continues to struggle for recovery after the war and for the smallest semblance of how things used to be. In an attempt to bring the world back on its feet, Eclipse requires humans to learn and acquire a trade of basic necessities, or, in many cases, assigns a trade based on their aptitude; agriculture, construction, medical, and more. Old currencies have no value. Food and water is rationed in return for their work, or traded, scavenged or stolen. Travel and transportation are nearly impossible unless someone's trade has gone through a proper request and approval for transfer – or a mandatory transfer.

Gifted citizens are generally held in higher standing and respect – to a degree. Like humans, they're required to have a trade, but, instead of based on a skillset, their trades are often based on where their abilities can be best applied. Healers are assigned to medical fields, those with an affinity for plants are assigned to agriculture, metal manipulators to construction...

With what's left of Enfield Corp. under Eclipse control, even though they promised no further monitoring, they continue requiring the implants and have extended this requirement to humans. Any resistance is met with imprisonment, or, if their skills or abilities are deemed useless or they cause more trouble than they're worth, death.

Now, instead of only one side being treated with unfairness, human and gifted alike are treated equally and ruled with a ruthless, iron fist.

SETTING:

The war began in early 2045; it's now November 2049.

All major cities are ruled by Eclipse. Anyone found in outlying areas are transported to the cities and distributed from there, depending on where they're needed. Smaller towns are practically deserted, though some people have been fortunate enough to escape Eclipse's grasp, or they're occupied as farming communities or for some other means. Eclipse has found that it's easier to manage people when confined to specific perimeters they set and not spread out among various towns.

This takes place in Richmond, Virginia, the capitol of the state and one of America's oldest cities. The city was attacked in 2046 and fell into control of Eclipse - many of its citizens fled the city into more remote areas while they had the chance, but the rest remained. This is one of the more secure cities in the nation and its Warden is proud of this achievement.

Eclipse has areas of the city sectioned off, designated for their faction and for civilians. They keep members of Eclipse altogether and keep close tabs on the civilians that live in the city. Eclipse has what used to be the state capitol building and many buildings and streets surrounding it; walls and gates have been erected to distinguish their district. Civilians have designated areas outside of these boundaries where they may reside. Though Eclipse does send out patrols, other areas are unused and abandoned.

ALLIANCES:

Eclipse.
The instigators of the war. With and without violence, they originally began as an effort to bring the various governments to the table to listen, negotiate and improve the treatment of their kind. As it sometimes happens with large organizations, they seemed to lose sight of its original purpose, instead creating a new order altogether. While they have humans that work for them, they generally place a higher value on bringing in and maintaining gifted among their ranks. Additionally, they have some technological advantages over other factions and guard this jealously (and the people that have this skillset), communications being one of the first things they reestablished.

Umbra.
Consisting of ex-Eclipse members before their shift toward conquest and those dissatisfied with the new order, these gifted and humans work together to combat Eclipse. While they can't hope for recreating the old governments, their primary goal is to remove the one in power suffocating them and establish more reasonable forms of government.

Ascent.
A human-only faction that continues their dogma from before the war and works against Eclipse and Umbra. They are a group beginning to dwindle; without an advantage, they're a thorn in the side of the other factions. Eclipse has been known to eliminate them on sight - confirmed, or sometimes only on suspicion.

Neutral gifted/humans.
They strive to maintain neutrality in the midst of the turmoil, either compliant with the current government, or non-compliant as they attempt to discreetly sit on the sidelines to survive.

CHARACTER SHEET
Just the basics. Be as detailed as you want.

Name:

Alliance:

Appearance:

Skills:

Abilities:

History:
(Optional)

Last edited:
Glad you like it. ^_^ Just waiting to see if all my current partners respond. Two of three on board so far, so it's looking more likely I'll lead with a summary of events for this RP.

Updated info. My current partners will be migrating. Will get a new thread up after work with the summary and such, plus any other info I forgot.

Last edited:
2/3!
i was not expecting this handle to be free

Hey, Morgan. Glad you could join us. I think @Wolf is lurking about too.

I asked for the thread to be moved to "Characters," so this will be our OOC thread. I also added a basic character sheet (last spoiler), so we all have a reference point for our chars. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. About to work on our RP thread, and I think Poe's Corner may be a good home.

Aah, there you are - posted at the same time. Hi, Wolf!

haha, sorry about the timing! i was nosing around and got distracted (or rather, keep getting distracted?)
but yes, poe's corner seems the most appropriate. i'll start working on my character sheets, too

also, if there's anything i can do to help set up, lmk and i'll do my best :')

Hah, no worries. Thanks, Wolf. I think I've got it. RP Thread: https://writerssanctum.com/threads/a-new-world-order.9191/

Let me know if there's any issues with the summary or important things I missed. I'm not sure yet whether to just post the most recents (like the last 2-3 posts for each char), or maybe everything from Meinrad's introduction w/ Syl and up to current posts?

Will definitely work on characters when I get home from work later today.

hey, that's good. i'm not seeing anything wrong with the summary from my end, though i was wondering why it cut off when it did

i do think starting from meinrad's intro makes more sense as a reference point, but if you want to go that route it's a little more work (esp since the post dividers don't copy over due to how i coded them...oops). maybe another option might be to post meinrad, then pull through with a summary of the following posts? idk

Have some character sheets. Let me know if I need to fix anything with the history sections (Or well, on Jonathon's lol) because I kinda came up with most of it on the fly.

Name: Jonathon McGoveney

Alliance:
Neutral (Thus far)

Appearance:
Jonathon is slim and average in height, only built at all due to a need to survive and his youthful genes. He has short, tan hair and green eyes, and dresses very casually at almost all times. Short sleeves and jeans are very common articles of clothing for him

Skills:
Being a regular citizen, Jonathon does not possess many particularly noteworthy skills outside of the basics to get by in life. He is a talented musician as a guitarist, but aside from making a living, this is not particularly practical.

Abilities:
Metal manipulation. Jonathon can lift, bend, and shape any metal to his will. Metal that he can plainly see is obviously easiest, but with a bit of "feeling out" he can get to metal objects and items that otherwise go unseen.

History:
Jonathon is the third child in his family and the youngest male. His father was a simple veterinarian while his mother, Serena, a major player in Eclipse until she disappeared conveniently after their intentions began to become clear. His two oldest brothers Martin and Lars were Eclipse agents, though Martin vanished with his mother. This left Jonathon to live the latter part of his teenage years with his father and younger sister, Erika. Today he currently has his own home with said sister. His father urged them to distance themselves from the family in case it turned out his disappeared family had gone rogue and Eclipse came for them. Thus far this has worked with Jonathon making ends meet through his musicianship and Erika helping out with whatever she "found" during her outings.

Side note: No, Erika probably won't make any sort of appearance because that's just going to get super confusing with a character named Ereka also being prominent, lol. It just bugged me to keep referring to the family by his mother/brother/sister/etc.

Name: Tracy Black

Alliance:
Eclipse

Appearance:
Tracy keeps a fairly professional appearance at all times. Straight black hair like her namesake which is often kept neatly tied back and icy blue eyes to match her abilities as well as her cool demeanour. She is fairly fit due to her job and she is often wearing Eclipse colours to confirm she is who she is.

Skills:
As an Eclipse agent and general law enforcement, Tracy is skilled in self-defense and is very comfortable with small firearms.

Abilities:
Tracy can freeze things. She does not manipulate exactly ice so she can't create icicles that find their targets, but anything she touches she can freeze. The ice can spread as far as she can see and so long as she keeps contact with whatever it is she freezes. This can extend to adjacent structures as well such as tables on a floor or a doorway next to a wall.

History:
Still working this out, but she's been with Eclipse basically since they were recruiting.

@Wolf - My tired brain decided "good enough" last night. :p I'm usually d-o-n-e by 10pm. I'll fix it shortly. Also, it's all good and actually worked out fine. I ended up putting everyone's posts in spoilers, so it doesn't stretch the first page.

@weemanv1 - Thanks, Morgan, I'll get these up on the RP thread.

Last edited:
@Mazulla oh that would do it lol; definitely been there before with a tired brain, though i seem to skew more nocturnal than you. the spoilers are a good idea, i don't think i'd thought about that the other day aha

also, here are sheets for reed and renata! i had some idea of what their histories were like, but organizing it took an oddly long time (as did deciding an exact age for renata - it was either 22 or 24 and i'm still not sure)
i do have a third sheet in progress, but i think it makes more sense to save that for when/if she becomes relevant?
mimicking morgan's words, though, lmk if anything looks off

Name: Renata Morozova
Alliance: Eclipse [Recruit]
Appearance: Easily 5'10" and in good shape even without her ability, Renata tends to come off as striking. Her eyes are heterochromic (one gold, one blue) and feline in shape; her hair is white and straight, cut in a blunt bob that hits her shoulders. While not necessarily a fashionista, especially not with the current state of the world, she knows what looks good on her and how to find it.
Skills: Parkour, punching wild cats, and pushing her luck, evidently.
Somewhat unsurprisingly, Renata's skills are most evident in the physical realm, the woman being quite fond of her acrobatic abilities and her ability to take/pack a punch or two despite her combat inexperience. She also has a few soft skills (work ethic, self-confidence, and an even temperament) that hopefully compensate for any headaches she causes.
Abilities: Enhanced athleticism (primary) and short bursts of flight (secondary).
History: Russian in both blood and birthplace, Renata would find herself in the United States at the age of twelve, escaping what was then the height of Russian unrest. A month later, a local group would attempt their own rebellion, but it would be far too soon. From there it was a downward spiral for Russia's gifted, the law becoming increasingly draconian. And then Eclipse entered the world theater.
By then, Renata had fluent English and a knack for getting into places she probably shouldn't. She did not, however, have an inclination to join the war, instead careful to wait and watch and see how the cards fell. Her parents would not want her to die in such an event, however romantic she thought fighting for an equal world was.
So she did her best to stay out of it, and when the war was over, she found herself in Richmond. Well, c'est la vie, and as the government took shape Renata adapted to survive with the hand she'd been dealt. Or at least, she tried to. The trade she should have was not immediately forthcoming, and as she was moved from job to job, it started to seem like there was nothing she was anything but mediocre at. Eclipse's offer of recruitment came not a moment too soon, Renata accepting it in the hope of a final job and slightly better life.

Name: Reed Hall
Alliance: Eclipse [Ranked]
Appearance: Reed, at 5'7", is a little shorter than average, but still displays the lean, functional muscle associated with an Eclipse field agent. He has brown eyes and blonde hair, the latter cut short enough to keep it from getting in his eyes. His appearance tends less towards professional and more towards domestic/casual, Reed intentionally playing it up a little more for personal amusement.
Skills: As per his occupation and fondness for fighting, Reed has the appropriate skillset, with a marked preference for CQC when the opportunity arises. Outside of that, though, he's fine with paperwork, and great at cooking, though the former skill he avoids using when he can and the latter is mostly for his own personal benefit. He has probably enough (if not too much) self-confidence.
Ability: Domination; Reed imposes his will best on other living beings. Objects, not so much.
History: Though Reed's gifted parents remained neutral as the name Eclipse snuck through the city's streets and then ran rampant on the news, Reed would wind up an active participant in the war, drawn to the siren call to arms that was Eclipse's organized chaos. Sure, the change in government was welcome, but Reed had never been much of an idealist. History was in the making; it didn't take a genius to see who would win. Reed might as well see how far he could get—and cutting loose and using his power as he pleased for once sounded like a refreshing change.
He flung himself into the mess readily, and enjoyed it. Or maybe he'd learned to enjoy it. Either way, when the war ended, the world was nothing but new peace and old rubble, and it was all boring.
Thank God, then, for a new resistance to put down.

I used to be a night owl too, but I just can't do it anymore with work! I need my 7-8 hours to function.

I think it makes sense to save the other character sheet for when she enters the roleplay.

Updated the thread with your character sheets; they all look good. If anyone decides they want to update theirs at any point, just let me know and I can replace it.

I'm working on my own, but running into the same - rough idea of their history, but putting it together cohesively is taking me a bit. I decided last night to put my energy towards posting instead, since I've got the whole weekend to spend some time on character sheets. :p Still have Shane too, though I don't know if Chay is on the site yet.

Yup, I remember my 4 in the morning nights pretty well. I'd say I miss them, but I'd miss the sleep more lol.

So are we good to get started? Not that I can really do anything without waiting for Wolf first, but still. Also, might pm you now that I've set up a bit and might have some stuff to run by you.

atm it's more waking up in the middle of the night than it is one long swath of sleeplessness, but that's not much better lol. pretty funky sleep schedule in general tho, so if it bleeds too much into my writing lmk

anyways, will save that sheet. also glad to know my histories work; they're honestly still a bit vague and i'm fighting off the urge to edit. good luck wrangling yours, though, i'm looking forward to your sheets! (also curious to see how the ages will stack up since i didn't expect jonathon to be 18 lol)

idt chay's present yet (hope they're doing ok with life too), but i can start working on a reply

Sure, run any ideas you have by whenever you're ready. ( :

I'm thinking either we can hold off for a bit until Chay comes around since Shane and Cassius are getting ready to head for the rest of the chars, or we can keep going for a couple/few more posts and Shane and Cassius can enter the picture then. Whichever y'all are more comfortable with, though I'm not sure I want to get too far ahead if the latter.

Hah, I usually like my main chars to be in their mid to late 20s or 30s. Ereka is 24-25 (undecided), Shane 28, and Syl 30. Admittedly I only worked on the sheets a little this morning - too much going on today. (Not really doing anything for Easter tomorrow, so we hung out with the fam and I made crepes for the first time!)

i think it's fairer if we hold off for a bit; helps that i was out and about yesterday + today (easter/errands) and didn't get much in the way of replying done lol

turns out i was dead-on with syl, but i thought shane would be a little younger/closer in age to ereka for some reason. no worries about the sheets at any rate, crepes are delicious! (never actually tried making them tho)

edit: had caffeine, prewrote reply. ready to post when you give the signal!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom