Either Needed Endzeiten - Cold Blows the Northern Wind [Interest Check]

Currently reading:
Either Needed Endzeiten - Cold Blows the Northern Wind [Interest Check]

@humon love this! definite food for thought, will muse it over but it's sounding good to me. i think i need to bookmark the maps or something, i keep needing to look for them again whenever we talk specific locations hahah (otto you're a hero for making them)

also the deadite likeness is exciting, i'm a campbell/raimi fan so that the evil dead is reference material is just making me happy

ps. it's just a fleshwound!

Here is an image of Commander Glyca

e33494f969c04c39a39b71358cb2e9e6.jpg

The earring on his right ear means he's a pirate... kinda...

The maps from page 1, posted again for reference:

World map

Ruhigreich

Remember that North is toward the right side of the map. The river that flows through the middle of the Ruhigreich map is the Eider River.

How quickly does fire kill them? Is it like you throw a torch at a zombie and it stiffens up and falls over? Or would you need to wait for the flesh to burn away, which gives it time to keep attacking you?

No stiffening up and falling over, they have to burn away - making flaming zombies a thing one might have to fight. Of course, the more intense the flames the quicker the work. Depending on how juicy vs dried out they are, the flames may work more quickly.

Evil Dead rules sounds like bad news for archers. But good to know, so the general strategy then I guess is that when the dead rise and you can't get behind high walls, the first thing you should do is draw a sword. One comes at you, you hack off its arms so he can't grab you, then take out one of the legs so he can't follow you anywhere. Same way King Arthur defeated the Black Knight.

Essentially lol, best way to deal with them - if you can't dispatch them permanently - is just to disable them enough to flee. Archers can be invaluable with pitch and flame, however - except for skeletons.

I suppose if you've got an axe or mace you could also try just smashing the shoulder joint so the arm is dislocated and useless. Then break one hip I guess, so it can no longer stand.

But the first rule for surviving a long night should be to shelter in place, I wager. Have a stockpile of food, bar the doors (and the city gates), and wait it out.

What other kinds of monsters do we frequently see?

Aye - I think for a great many that could work, though those raised through more direct magic may be able to ignore such grievous injuries, animated by more potent magic.

Yes, shelter in place if you can, escape and evasion to shelter if unable. The cities are largely safe in the Long Night, as are most walled townships and villages to an extent, out in the wilds or beyond the walls is the real threat.

It's largely situational depending on regional and local geography. Thankfully nothing that flies - yet. In the north, there is a higher concentration of lycanthropes (the three primary varieties being werewolves, werebears, and wereboars) and primarily all of the Possessed, save for those that range beyond on the dragonships. The undead occur all over, but have a stronger concentration to the west. Beastfolk, Kobold, and various beasts twisted by proximity to the profane (mutated/wrong animals, undead animals, chimeras and other fell things) stalk the forests and hills, but come out en masse in the Long Night, free to wreak havoc unimpeded.

I should probably figure something out for the local fauna. It's not terribly dissimilar to Earth so there's no crazy hurdles we have to get through there. Perhaps a bit more primordial compared to us but nothing extreme.
(otto you're a hero for making them)

Oh man don't indulge the part of me that wants to make maps - I won't get any work done lol - but thank you!

also the deadite likeness is exciting, i'm a campbell/raimi fan so that the evil dead is reference material is just making me happy

Evil Dead is criminally underrated, vies for my top spot for old school zombies with Return of the Living Dead. I'm mightily tempted to sneak in Army of Darkness references down the line.

Alright, it's not much but I have got the Steitz's Salvation blurb in progress, and the Black Banner blurb (tentatively) done! I also (again, tentatively) finished the Profane post the other day, though that (like all the stuff in the lore thread) may be expanded later. Not as much as I wanted to get done but I'll be up all day resetting my sleep schedule, so I'll probably get some more done as time goes on. I'm thinking of taking some time to work on some bonds with folks once I get people's sheets plugged into the OOC, if y'all don't mind, and help get things set up a bit more for the IC to drop!

I am here to stay! Remember, y'all, that I am okay with bonds being formed (or perhaps history between characters) with Iluq & Vania.

Apologies all, I meant to get some character bond stuff started yesterday but I was gone by the time 1800 hrs hit and I had to go to bed. After thirteen hours of sleep though, I feel fantastic! Now, to get to work on this bond stuff...

I am here to stay! Remember, y'all, that I am okay with bonds being formed (or perhaps history between characters) with Iluq & Vania.

Marvelous! 😁

EDIT:

Alright, I'm partway through whipping up some concepts for bonds, and it occurs to me that it may be fun to alter the bond - or rather, tailor it - to your character and the other. Give it some flavor, if you like. I'm rolling for my bonds - as I like to work around the sparks and ideas that the dice give me - and so, for example:

With Roman, I rolled a 1 and a 4, respectively.
  • Roman owes me their life, whether they admit it or not.
  • Roman is always getting into trouble—I must protect them from themselves.
Both fit their dynamic, though I know going into this, admittedly through discussions with @Azrican , that Roman is a wanted man, and will likely be seized soon after arriving in the city. So, to tailor it, I'd say something like
  • Roman was destined for the axe before my intervention, no matter how much he might grumble about tagging along.
  • Roman is a wanted man, one that - by choice or by nature - can't lay low. This won't be the last time I save him from himself.
It's entirely optional, but I think it could make the bonds available stretch a bit, and keep things from being too cookie-cutter. I'll make sure I add an addendum to the OOC post for more easy reference, but figured it would be better to go ahead and post here so people actually saw it lol

Last edited:
@Ottoman I definitely prefer to plot out the bonds that I have forged with characters and my own. Discussing it, I have found, allows for more intuitive interaction and unique history between the characters in question. Is that okay?

Oh perfectly fine! I'm just lazy, so I roll dice - you're entirely free to choose your own!

ahh that seems fun. i do like working my brain around random intervention

I'm not going to roll, because I'm afraid I'll end up with a male character being my lover, or was, or would have been. That's too complicated for me. So I just selected some:

I have heard of Kalegen's exploits and am suitably impressed.

The Ire Witch's ways are strange and confusing.

Roman has seen the lands of my home, more recently than me.

Dhaeric's character was once my enemy, but we've since reconciled.

Sudaisos makes me want to sing a Phil Collins song.

I will never give up on Rick Astley.

I could expand as follows:

I have heard of Kalegen's exploits and am suitably impressed, although I suspect that he is now past his prime.

The Ire Witch's ways are strange and confusing. She unsettles me and fascinates me at the same time.

Roman has seen the lands of my home, more recently than me... at least before it became a ruin. He knows something about what happened after I left, and I intend to pry it out of him.

Dhaeric's character was once my enemy, but we've since reconciled. He is my friend now, but every time I look at him I remember what his comrades did to me.

Sudaisos makes me want to sing a Phil Collins song. I should invite him to karaoke with my troop next Friday.

I will never give up on Rick Astley. Never let him down. Never run around and hurt him.

damn humon and here i was looking to woo you and go full enemies to lovers

(joke)

what you've written for ours is great! i assume otto is switching constanze for rick astley

@humon How would you seek to expand upon that? Iluq fascinating Lothar?

Just be very careful if Otto posts a link to a theme song for Constanze.

Pyx, this is what I had posted back on page 2:

I can see Iluq and Lothar having some kind of love-hate thing going on, where they have mutual mistrust but also curiosity. The thing Lothar fears/dislikes most is magic, because he doesn't know how to fight against it (much as it was with Conan). But he also has a philosophy of confronting and closely examining the things that most threaten him, like a sort of morbid fascination.

@humon And for Vania! I didn't see them, I'm sorry. But sure, that sounds interesting. Iluq has quite a past whenever it comes to her previous lover being a dwarf and her being Kallic. (Instead of a Dhallic).

Last edited:
iluq is pretty much everything my guy hates xD (and you can blame lothar for half of that) so their dynamic is certainly going to be interesting

Well she is meant to be the Ire Witch -- not necessarily a good force within her story, haha. Vania is the better of the two and is fascinated by her sylphs.

i'll just be sticking with the one character and gonna risk having no back up. if it ever becomes necessary, i dibs rick astley

i'll stop spamming this thread now and get back to working on my character sheet xD

I'm not going to roll, because I'm afraid I'll end up with a male character being my lover, or was, or would have been. That's too complicated for me. So I just selected some:

lmao understandable, feel free to just reroll if you get a result that doesn't work for your vision - but these are great! I was aiming to post my own here in the thread but I didn't want to cross the streams too much.

Loving the discussion thus far! Got a birthday party for my mom to attend here in an hour or so but the thoughts are percolating!

Pyx, I don't have access to your character encyclopedia, so I don't know much else about Iluq and Vania. I guess what I want to know is what her magic can do, and what kind of rituals or other things she does to maintain it. All the witchy stuff, hehe. And for Vania I wanted to know her general concept, how she fights, what her role is, etc.

Oh by the way, I was chatting with Otto the other day about Steitz's Salvation, and my idea was to break the merc company down into cavalry troops of 30-40 riders, and infantry 'staffel's of 40 men that group into 'banda' of 200 men each. Lothar should be leading one of these cavalry troops, as a rittmeister (captain). Dhaeric, can I assume your character is cavalry, being Dhallic? We could be in the same troop, if you want to be my second-in-command, or you could lead a different troop?

Meanwhile, my ratman NPC is the commander of a 'bandon' of infantry, with the rank of 'Komes', which I translate to commander, or even kommandant ("Jawohl Kommandant!" *cue wolfenstein music*).

Back
Top Bottom