Group RP (Superhero RP) Chaos Comes Calling ~ OOC & Character Thread

Currently reading:
Group RP (Superhero RP) Chaos Comes Calling ~ OOC & Character Thread

Well, if both are allowed just fine, then I'll indulge here. Keep in mind this profile is made moreso as a tentative thing than as a final product, and is open to revision based on impressions and feedback.
______

Name: Allen Murdock
Alias or Nickname: "Mad X", his boxing moniker, and "Cancer", his super-villain persona
Physical Description:
1sfcn7.jpg

Secret Identity ~ Allen is a 6'4", 195lbs, man with a chiseled, broad-shouldered, muscular physique lending itself well to his past as both a street tough and a boxer. His hair is a dark, almost onyx color and his eyes are a dark hazel hue approaching brown with minute green streaks shooting outward from his pupil. His strong jaw is followed by a well-maintained, full but short beard, and a darkened, venous patch starts on his index and middle finger, runs across the back of his left arm, and draws the form of a roaring beast over his back. His casual wear usually involves minimal upper layers― as he typically dons a t-shirt or tank top at best lest given a special occasion and even then won't wear much classier than a dress shirt due to his past―and comfortable but tight-fitting trousers, jeans, or cargo pants, typically in darker tones. Of note, he wears a cross around his neck and a set of leather bands around his right wrist which he has dubbed mementos of his mother.

Alter-Ego ~ As Cancer, Allen uses his abilities to slightly change his appearance, giving himself a grayer, paler skin, electrifying, green eyes which are further sunken back than normal, a streak of silver hair in his bangs, and a longitudinal scar crossing over his left eye, starting at his hairline and ending at his jawline which is slightly higher up than normal. As far as attire goes, he dons a gray, tight-fitting trench coat worn open with an embroidered black "C" on its back. Matching pants with a silver, C-shaped buckle in the same font as the embroidered C previously mentioned appearing on his black leather belt appear at his waist and his feet don a pair of steel-toed black work shoes akin to those worn by construction workers. As additional touches, he wears black eyeliner and matte black nail polish. Finally, his hands are coated in fingerless black leather gloves to give the impression that he doesn't care if people find out his fingerprints and identify him, though of course he uses his powers to modify said fingerprints and makes his note-worthy scar dissapear.

Background Info: Allen started life the son of a poor but prolific writer and a destitute plastic surgeon whom had been sued into poverty and retirement by a discontent client. As a result, he grew up in the lower portion of the middle class as his parents each juggled two jobs to make ends meet and raise both him and his three older sisters. Because of this, he could seldom take part in extracurricular activities, had few forms of entertainment at home, and few physical possessions. This led him to a life of youthful criminal activity and―as luck would have it―he became a natural at the trade, whether it be pick-pocketing, mugging, extortion, intimidation or transportation, he did it all if it net him a bit of extra money to indulge himself. But of course, where there is smoke there is fire, and this naturally escalated.

Before he had come to even realize it, Allen was 17, the right hand man of a local petty crime boss at such a young age, and was being dangled off a rooftop by a hero hoping to scare him straight at such a young age where there was still hope for him to do something worthwhile with himself. That hero did not live long thereafter, realizing a little too late that Allen was more than willing to pull him off the roof with him and use his back to cushion their mutual landing. After that, word of Allen got around, and not a month later he was trading hands as a thug to the biggest "bad" in the area like the sweet new commodity. Everyone wanted the mook whom had actually taken down a bona-fide super with his bare hands (and a fifty foot drop). Allen got to enjoy the taste of the sweeter things in life at the side of Don Esposito as his personal bodyguard, and this went on for a while... but of course, with new heights in power came new heights and crime, and Allen was beginning to lose sleep and develop anger management issues, constantly on edge. Eventually, it was none other than the Don himself who talked him into getting into the ring and "punching his stress away", which worked like a charm. Later, when the nerves tensed again, it would be Sophia, Esposito's daughter, that'd put his first cigarette between his lips, a Djarum Black kretek cigarette. This developed into an addiction... both for Sophia, and Nicotine.

Tall, notorious, strong and in love with a woman he didn't have to hide his dark side from, Allen had it all. However, as these things often wont to do, he lost it all over the span of a couple of weeks. After being blind-sided by a desperate debtor he was collecting from with a crowbar and just barely blocking the impact, he put his left hand into a cast, and the doctor informed him he'd never be able to get into the ring again as they'd have to put a steel plate into his knuckles. While he was recovering from surgery, he got news that the Don and his daughter had been gunned down by a rival gang. Unable to do anything about it with his punching (and shooting) hand in disrepair, he raged and left the hospital early to go to the graves of the people he wasn't there to protect.

Forcing himself to do so, he held a cigarette between bloodied fingers from re-opened stitches as he poured scotch onto his former boss' tombstone with his right hand, then pulled form under arm the bouquet he set down on Sophie's grave. A deep, deep drag later, he rose his hand to the sky, balled in a fist, cigarette still clutched firmly between his fingers which continued to bleed as his opened stitches threatened to reveal the plate he had forces to stress by moving his still healing hand. By some strange twist of fate, it would be then that lightning would strike.

The lightning struck one very specific point; the tip of the still lit cigarette in his hands. The current ran through the plate in his knuckles, then through his body using his blood as a conductor, and through his still smoke-filled lungs about to curse at existence itself. His eyes were blinded, then made to see clearly anew, his ears deafened, then made to hear again, he could taste nothing, then every slice of toast he'd ever burnt came back in a tsunami of charred flavor, all smell vanished from the air, then came again with renewed vigor. His skin felt nothing of the rain that felt, then acutely sensed every drop that touched it. He had died, and been reborn, branded by the plasma that had fallen from the sky, and the elixir that was tobacco.

Later that year, a new super-villain crept to the surface under the name of Cancer. As he made the guards, tellers, intervening cops and customers of the bank lay down on their stomachs and beg for his mercy, a Djarum Black cigarette lodged between his lips.

Powers: -
Soot, Ash and Smoke Manipulation ― Allen can create, shape and manipulate soot, the mass of impure carbon particles resulting from the incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons, smoke, the collection of airborne solid and liquid particulates and gases emitted when a material undergoes combustion or pyrolysis, together with the quantity of air that is entrained or otherwise mixed into the mass, and ash, defined as the solid remains of fires, which―as already burnt matter―cannot be burned again.
Partial Transformation ― Allen can partially modify his appearance, so long as he remains humanoid in form. These changes allow him to disguise his appearance and afford him a degree of flexibility and elasticity otherwise impossible to the human body, allowing him to spin his joints 360 degrees or extend his limbs beyond their natural limits up to a total of four meters.
Cellular Activation ― Allen can activate cells within an organism's body, increasing the speed of cellular functions, increasing physical attributes such as speed and healing, or accelerating them with enough speed and energy to produce heat, destroying them. The activation of cells can cause a temporary optimization, making the affected look younger. This power is limited by tactile contact when implemented upon others and necessitates prolonged contact to inflict more permanent or lethal effects, but allows him to extend his natural life, affords him superhuman speed, regeneration, strength and durability, and allows him to grow, harden, and super-heat his nails, turning them into fiery claws at his want and whim.

_____

Thoughts on the Cancerous Super-Villain?

Thank you, I'm happy to hear it. In that case, I imagine I'll keep him very much as is.
@Miss Jessica in need of a few more members?
I also like him although I'd most likely view him as a bit of a loose cannon. Although I could get some use out if him, don't expect me to be too welcoming to begin with as Mis Jessica tends to use and then dispose to cover her own back. :)

@ArsenicSoliloquist Yus, I'll move your character into the roster and you can feel free to post whenever. We've preciously discussed a plan that, as each of the characters return to their haunts and homes, they find some kind of message inviting them to the nearest Vanguard building, where they are transported instantaneously to the orbiting Watchtower-type orbital platform :p

@Cheshire Cat

Mistress would know that the Tech Institute Bikki is talking about is the Technical Institute of Technology, the West Coast's version of MIT.

What is the name of the city we're in? Did I miss it?

The university works in conjunction Clear Lake National Laboratory and other prestigious universities, government research centers, and industry partners on the West Coast to form a research-industrial complex dedicated to unlocking the fascinating new technological potential revealed by events since 2021 (Mistress probably wouldn't happen to know this piece of trivia unless she reads academic and scientific journals).

Irl, some elite US universities are closely partnered with government national laboratories. UC Berkeley is partnered with Lawrence-Livermore Nuclear Laboratory, University of Southern California is partnered with the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and Stanford University is partnered with Stanford Research Institute and Stanford Medical Center. There's a reason UC Berkeley is an elite university, and that reason is government research funding. That kind of entwined relationship is what I'm trying to depict between the Technical Institute of Technology and the Clear Lake National Laboratory (both fictional).

Anyway, here's a map I made of the region where the city is, according to description @Cheshire Cat gave us earlier in this thread.

The triangle of land between Navarro to the north, Philo to the east, and Manchester to the south (on the coast). WARNING: LARGE IMAGE!

region2.jpg

Landmarks are Fort Bragg in the upper left corner and Clear Lake to the east. The area is about 150km north of San Francisco, California. The land is mountainous and covered with pine forests. The relatively flat coastal strip from Navarro south to Manchester would probably be densely populated and contain the built-up downtown areas while the little towns that run along Highway 128 from Navarro through Philo to Highway 101 would probably be burgeoning suburbs struggling to deal with rapid growth. The climate has warm dry summers and chilly rainy winters. The nearby coast keeps the temperatures fairly moderate year-round. Farther east around Clear Lake the land is flatter and more agricultural. The towns here would also probably see uncomfortably rapid growth, as would the towns on the North-South Highway 101 corridor. Traffic is probably horrible, and ride-sharing, public transit and Uber/Lyft services shoulder a lot of the burden. The area is known for progressive politics and a liberal attitude towards marijuana use and farming. Some isolated areas can be dangerous as organized crime groups sometimes protect their growing operations with intimidation and violence. The culture is rural and laid back, although a more fast-paced upbeat big city vibe is probably becoming more pronounced due to a San Francisco-sized urban area being built in the region.

Anyway, this is just my opinion on how the area would be if a large urban city were suddenly built in this region. @Cheshire Cat let me know what's ok and not ok.

@ArsenicSoliloquist Yus, I'll move your character into the roster and you can feel free to post whenever. We've preciously discussed a plan that, as each of the characters return to their haunts and homes, they find some kind of message inviting them to the nearest Vanguard building, where they are transported instantaneously to the orbiting Watchtower-type orbital platform :p
What kind of message will this be? Should I factor it into my next post?

@DawnsEarlyLight No specific form, whatever your character uses for communication will likely hold the message ... cellphone, email, envelope under the door, finger-smudge-on-window ... and will likely just say "You have been invited to the Vanguard" and an address.

Back
Top Bottom